25% Off Starpoint Redemption

Old May 24, 05, 11:40 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thumbs up Impressive

Originally Posted by BWI Flyer
So, let me get this right -- if we were Platinum until February, and helped get Starwood the Freddie awards through our loyalty and votes, but now we're Gold, we can't avail ourselves of the award?

I think that's pretty short-sighted. You're basically telling us that our continued business -- albeit at a lower level than before -- isn't valuable.
I still think this was a noble gesture on Starwood's part especially to extend the offer to those affected who would like to book award travel.

No question Starwood obvioulsy appreciated every vote.
It was quite evident from all of the Flyertalkers (self included)that attended the event.
But like targeted marketing there are always some that are going to feel left out.
FYI
There was a 50% off award bookings promotion to Platinum members in the past
I just reviewed it in my old Starwood files.This was when Starwood took numerous Conde Nast Awards which were voted on a few years ago.
Nobody said boo at the time as I remember.

I'm glad to just be a regular supportive but regular demanding customer

Because evidently Starwood can do no right here.

But it is one of the reasons I have always maintained my Platinum status at all costs.
The benefits have been richer and the ride much sweeter.

Let us all try to be supportive and hope for another great collection of promos down the road.
Which I'm sure are coming to an email nearest you.
That is if the mean Cyberspace goobler doesn't crush it first
Cheers and thanks to Mr. Sanders and Starwood for their concern and speedy resolution.
Brilliant and well done ^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 24, 05 at 12:58 pm
Old May 24, 05, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Thank you William!!

*W indeed did the right thing, and I'm sure you had a lot to do with it. ^

I'll be calling up tonight!
Old May 24, 05, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA UGS, SPG Plat.
Thanks William. I really appreciate *wood giving those who (for whatever reasons) missed the promotion notification the first time around another shot!
Old May 24, 05, 1:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Thanks for your patience while we sorted through this.

It appears that our attempts to get the word out on this did not quite go as we had intended. Emails were sent. Many were returned as undeliverable, apparently. No doubt some were deleted, either intentionally or unintentionally; who can know for sure. Then there are the spam filters and firewalls. If you do not fall into any of these categories, I am sorry to disappoint, but there is no easy, one-size-fits-all reason I can offer as to why you did not get it. I do know that we also attempted to give Platinum members notification over spg.com when they logged onto their accounts. This was frustrated by the fact that the additional banners were not suppressed, which is something we will correct going forward.

So, what to do? The only reasonable thing we could come up with was re-opening the offer so those who missed it the first time could take reasonable advantage of it. To that end, beginning immediately and up through midnight Eastern US time on Monday, May 30th, Platinum members can make their plans online at spg.com and then call the Platinum Concierge line to make use of the FRED redemption code for a 25% off savings. The same Terms and Conditions apply that were in effect previously. This is for award stays booked through Wednesday, August 31st only.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

In the interest of making sure as many members as possible are aware of this, William requested that I also make this thread a "sticky" until the new effective dates pass. I've done that. I'll remove its "stickiness" next week.

AZ Travels the World
Old May 24, 05, 1:29 pm

SPG deserves a lot of credit for extending this offer. I do hope some additional notifications are also planned, since FT shouldn't be the only way to discover such a generous promotion.

However, I don't reallly buy the deletions, firewalls, and as spam filters as an excuse. The rest of the SPG email seems to have no trouble finding it's way to our inboxes. Unless the SPG IT department does some serious evaluation of it own procedures, these types of communication breakdowns are likely to continue.
Old May 24, 05, 1:50 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Thank you SO much for this! I too got no e-mail originally. I called today, and unfortunately the first reservation agent didn't know the offer was extended. The second agent did, and thanks to the discount I was able to book 4 award nights in London instead of the 3 + 1 paid night I had originally, which saved me almost $500US. I'm a very happy camper.

Thanks William!

- T
Old May 24, 05, 2:44 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by dhacker
SPG deserves a lot of credit for extending this offer. I do hope some additional notifications are also planned, since FT shouldn't be the only way to discover such a generous promotion.

However, I don't reallly buy the deletions, firewalls, and as spam filters as an excuse. The rest of the SPG email seems to have no trouble finding it's way to our inboxes. Unless the SPG IT department does some serious evaluation of it own procedures, these types of communication breakdowns are likely to continue.
Agree fully dhacker.
Except with the excuse portion you refer to in your post.
It is still none the less a reasonably logical explanations in some cases.
I recieved a United Airline promo and Trilegiant/Cendant (owners of Avis and Orbitz) in my spam filter this week.
Yet others were not rejected or come through without fail.
I too did not receive the SPG 25% email.
I regularly screen all filtered spam email carefully before deleting.

But it could or might have been my fault had I deleted in a rush
Certainly far from impossible.
I am quite observant and watchful on average with my preferred partner communications though.

At present I am working on another problem unrelated.
But this involves receiving Starwood promotions and not being able to open them or link to the desired info
That may stem from my systems internal security system.
I hope to solve that one on my own.
But I keep some good company in knowing there are others having the same problem.
Being I have forwarded them to others who have opened them I have to look at our/my computers as one of the more guilty parties

But let me say that this none the less demonstrates the real core of what makes Starwood so great.
They listen closely to the voice of the customer and best of all appropriately respond when necessary.

All the interest is making me want to book something.
But I have most everything booked thru to Sept and the few SPG point awards I'm on at present don't qualify for the reduction.
Yet I reamin quite satisfied with the value those awards deliver without having to wait for a good promotion like this one that is currently being offered.Happy bookings all

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 24, 05 at 7:11 pm
Old May 24, 05, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Starwood SPG Platinum, Fairmont Premier
Thanks to Starwood and William

Originally Posted by EquityMind
Wow, I can't believe I missed this one. I never got an email and I DID hit refresh on my browser numerous times yesterday because I was trying to book a stay and wanted to get the triple Starpoint promotion here in Southern CA - and no mention of the promo there either.

I needed to book an award stay coming up next week in London and I like to use points in London because of the exchange rate. I was about 1000 pts shy in my account for a fifth night free promo so I did a mattress run last night at the Century Plaza Hotel in LA just so I could have enough points to book the London award stay.

Then I come home to find this and find out that the 5 nights would have cost me 37,500 pts. - which I had in my account so no need for last nights mattress run.

I just hung up with the Platinum Concierge who was extremely apologetic and gracious about the matter and he did mention that he was watching this thread here at FlyerTalk

He gave me a number to call on Monday to see if there was anything that could be done and also booked my fifth night free award stay at the Belgravia even though the stay credits for last nights mattress run hadn't hit my account yet...

Wonder how this will turn out?
This was handled well in my opinion, they realize an error and correct it so hopefully the majority of us are able to continue in our realization why we continue to stay loyal to Starwood.

When I saw William's post, I mmediately called the customer service line to cancel my London award stay so that i could re-book my fifth night free award for 37,500 points instead of 40,000 saving 2,500 points.

To my surprise after I logged in to my account, my award stay had already been made but at the lower 37,500 point rate - *without me having to call in* What a nice gesture. Unfortunately I did have to call the Platinum concierge to rebook my award stay since I had jumped the gun and cancelled the award stay already. But this shows that this was obviously a manual review on Starwood's part to make the effort to track down my account and make sure the FRED promo was calculated for my award stay.

Thanks for making the effort Starwood! I remain a loyal fan.

EquityMind
Old May 24, 05, 7:00 pm

I think SPG did a great thing by getting the errors corrected. I had complained to the Plat. Concierge and a conditional accomodation was made for me-- but I think this arrangement is very fair. I hope they do send the emails this time or have a banner. I can see the adjustments already in my account.
Old May 24, 05, 8:51 pm

Good Resolution But I Still Think There is an Email Issue

^ ^ Good job by SPG on the resolution.

I agree with posts above in that I think the email error is on Starwood's side. I receive my e-mail statement monthy from SPG and I also revceive several email offers each month from SW properties including one on Monday from [email protected] with the title W Hotels - Who's Cool When It's Hot?
Old May 25, 05, 3:29 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Good Job *Wood! Thanks for extending this. I don't buy the spam filter deal either, as I have no spam filtering on my mail account. I also regularly receive other (property) promo emails, reservation confimations, and statements. Didn't receive this one though.
Old May 26, 05, 8:14 pm

Sweet!

Thank you very much!! We rebooked our stay for next week, and I need to quickly consider some place else for summer... Is this good for all Starwood properties or just the US? I know where my vote is going next year! ^
Old May 27, 05, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by spellbound2
Thank you very much!! We rebooked our stay for next week, and I need to quickly consider some place else for summer... Is this good for all Starwood properties or just the US? I know where my vote is going next year! ^
All over the world.

FYI - I called twice last night and was told it was over. I said it was extended, and they put in "Fred" and it worked just fine.
Old May 27, 05, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I got the original email just fine, and it has saved me a bundle. Thanks Starwood!

However I just tried to book another stay at the Sheraton LHR. They said I could book an regular room for 7000 points or an executive room for 8000. I asked about the Freddie special and I was told that was only for regular rooms. Not for executive. Since this is for a friend who has no status for an upgrade, I wanted to book the Executive room.

William, is this correct?
Old May 27, 05, 5:54 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: AA LT Gold, Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
I got the original email just fine, and it has saved me a bundle. Thanks Starwood!

However I just tried to book another stay at the Sheraton LHR. They said I could book an regular room for 7000 points or an executive room for 8000. I asked about the Freddie special and I was told that was only for regular rooms. Not for executive. Since this is for a friend who has no status for an upgrade, I wanted to book the Executive room.

William, is this correct?
William answers this in post #46:

"Only if it is done as an Instant Award at the hotel. It cannot be done in advance through the Customer Contact Center."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: