25% Off Starpoint Redemption

Old May 17, 05, 12:02 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by thesilb
Is it permissible to book a standard category 4 room for 10,000 - 2,500 = 7,500, and then spend the 1,000 to upgrade the reservation to specialty 1 level? Or not? Thanks.
Only if it is done as an Instant Award at the hotel. It cannot be done in advance through the Customer Contact Center.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old May 17, 05, 2:47 pm

solution to the recalculation problem

i am unsure of my dates for the summer, so i just booked a separate reservation for each night i am thinking about being on vacation (ie rather than book july 19-25 as one reservation, i just booked a separate reservation for each night), this way i can cancel some nights without affecting the other reservations...

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
If not stated already. You can cancel and get your points back. If you modify it will be at the regular point level. If you book three nights and then change to only two re-calculate at regular point level. Just told this by SPG P desk in regards to our new award reservation in AMS.
Old May 17, 05, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by wma
You're absolutely correct, However the banner changes with different promo's, whenever you log onto the site.

When I logged in this morning it read "Personalized wake up service." It was a Sheraton Ad, after I read your post I went back again it was "Limited Time Offer Welcome Summer". Only after I kept refresing the page did I get "A special PLT Thank you."
Good point! @:-) Just by coincidence, when I called up www.spg.com, it came up with the 25% off Starpoints offer. It's strange that the website doesn't automatically refresh itself and cycle through the different offers. Could it have something to do with the Avenue A spyware ( ) it's trying to download, and that I have anti-spyware installed on my computer that intercepts it? Or is that totally unrelated?
Old May 17, 05, 10:26 pm

Thumbs down

Another rub into the faces of us gold members. It would be nice for SPG to include all elites in this special.
Old May 17, 05, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by izzik
Will the whining ever stop?

Seriously though.. perhaps this is incentive to get to SPG Plat so you can enjoy it next year.
^ ^ ^
Old May 17, 05, 11:21 pm

Location: California; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Omni
Kathy, thanks for pointing out what I might have otherwise missed. A 3 minute call to *wood equated to a 5250 starpoint discount...about a hundred bucks by my reckoning.
Old May 18, 05, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jailer
Kathy, thanks for pointing out what I might have otherwise missed. A 3 minute call to *wood equated to a 5250 starpoint discount...about a hundred bucks by my reckoning.
Actually it was TrojanHorse who pointed it out first. I was just somewhat belaboring the obvious, though that often seems necessary on FT.
Old May 18, 05, 1:41 am

Programs: AAPlt 1MM, HHDmd, MBvPLT/LTG, PCAmb
Making me miss Platinum status even more (have a stay booked in St. John's -- booked when I was a Platinum). Too bad Starwood did not have properties in the places I traveled last year. Since no thank-you to Golds, can I take my Freddie vote back?
Old May 18, 05, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by dbuckho
Making me miss Platinum status even more (have a stay booked in St. John's -- booked when I was a Platinum). Too bad Starwood did not have properties in the places I traveled last year. Since no thank-you to Golds, can I take my Freddie vote back?
You could but who would you give it to??
Old May 18, 05, 6:52 am

Location: California; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Omni
Oops, Kathy, I guess beachbum started this thread...thanks for sharing beachbum, J-man.
Old May 18, 05, 10:02 am

Programs: Avis Chairman's, IHG Au, Hyatt Discoverist (Visa,) Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Life Au
Darn, I'm 3x excluded!
1. My big award stay is in Sept.
2. It's a 5for4.
3. I'm not Platinum!
Old May 18, 05, 11:00 am

Programs: CO Plat, *wood Plat
Great little bonus... too bad my 16 award night scheduled for this year are starting on Sept 4th. Did I say "Aaaaaaarrrrrrgh"?
Old May 18, 05, 1:23 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Thanks to this thread, I saved 10,000 points on a four night stay in Mont Trembland that we already had booked.

Tried the same thing with my five night stay in Princeville. She confirmed that you can't use it for the fifth night free promotion, but also mentioned that since I booked it, they changed it to High Season, so we got the hotel for 48,000 points rather than the 64,000 if we booked today.

All in all, not a bad day! Many thanks.
Old May 18, 05, 1:57 pm
TZL

Programs: UAL 1P, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond
thanks for the heads up all,

i just saved 10,000 pts on a 2 night stay at HOTEL DANIELI in Venice, IT in july!
Old May 18, 05, 3:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
it still pays to recalculate the award

I had a 28000 point five nighter (5th night free) in Fiji but with the Fred discount it came out to 26,250 points which is five nights at 7,000 pts each or 35,000 total points less 25% or 8,750 points off for a total of 26,250 spg points..

not a huge savings but a good one none the less.

thanks spg
Absolutely. Simple algebra tells you that 5th night free is 20% off on the SPG points, so the 25% off yields an extra savings. Just called and saved 5000 points on my 7 nights in Bali. Even at category 2 where the discount does not apply to the weekend nights. 21,000 points for all 7 nights is a great deal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: