25% Off Starpoint Redemption

Old May 16, 05, 7:34 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: AA LT Gold, Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
You'd think that if they want to increase award bookings for the summer and want to thank those that voted SPG, they'd open this to everyone....
Old May 16, 05, 7:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
What a bummer...My award stay is in NOV.
Old May 16, 05, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
it still pays to recalculate the award

I had a 28000 point five nighter (5th night free) in Fiji but with the Fred discount it came out to 26,250 points which is five nights at 7,000 pts each or 35,000 total points less 25% or 8,750 points off for a total of 26,250 spg points..

not a huge savings but a good one none the less.

thanks spg
Exactly. A normal five-night category 3, 4, 5, or 6 award saves you 20% in Starpoints. 25% off is still a bigger savings than 20% off, even though it's not 25% vs. 0%. @:-)

And you also need to do the math on a category 1 or 2 award to see which would come out better.
Old May 17, 05, 12:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FatBoyYVR
Surely it is time to sack the idiots that host, run and maintain it and start again as it is a disgrace to a company like Starwood and possibly the worst feature of the whole programme.
a little harsh, no? but, point well taken.
Old May 17, 05, 12:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gleff
From the promotion (emphasis mine)
Thanks for the unnecessary smart arse response...

Also from the promotion....

"Simply plan your trip at spg.com..."

which is what I was trying to do. Actually, I needed to check the categories of a number of hotels, and plan what I might want to do (as per the promotional email). Also, it is very helpful to check availabliity online rather than spending a long time on the phone with a myriad of options.

But thanks for pointing out the obvious to me
Old May 17, 05, 12:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
a little harsh, no? but, point well taken.
Perhaps, but I consistently find spg.com to be the most unreliable of any travel related website I use. I am in the UK, which might make it worse with the time difference. However, it is simply so frustrating. The worse thing is that often it is not simply down, but will let you go through the whole process of entering dates, hotels etc and then tell you there is a temporary error etc. To find out whether it is functioning again the only option is to keep going through the same process again and again and again.
Old May 17, 05, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by FatBoyYVR
Perhaps, but I consistently find spg.com to be the most unreliable of any travel related website I use. I am in the UK, which might make it worse with the time difference. However, it is simply so frustrating. The worse thing is that often it is not simply down, but will let you go through the whole process of entering dates, hotels etc and then tell you there is a temporary error etc. To find out whether it is functioning again the only option is to keep going through the same process again and again and again.
Why not post this description of website problems in the sticky for that purpose instead of in a thread about a particular promo? (I, too, have seen problems like this on spg.com, but don't see what any of your posts have to do with the topic of this thread.)
Old May 17, 05, 6:53 am
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by vivrant
Maybe because the link to this offer is on their homepage?
I went to this page and couldn't see where you were referring. Sometimes I not very observant, but I thought I checked.

Originally Posted by gleff
1) Maybe there are lots of plats, emails roll in over the course of a day
2) Maybe it also requires certain email opt-ins
3) Maybe some folks have the emails directed to their junk folder or blocked by an anti-spam server
I also check all my email options and I'm signed up for everything I could sign up for. I checked my anti-spam server and junk folder, nothing was there.

Weird thing is I get confirmations/cancellations, monthly statements and emails and surveys from the hotels I stay at but I haven't received any promotion from corporate in over a year. All my info about promo's come from FT.

Still haven't received the email.
Old May 17, 05, 7:44 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA, UAL, USAir, etc.
Yeah - Rebooked and got points back

I had a reservation during the time period using points. just called spg, rebooked using the promotion, saved 7,500 points on my 3 day trip. woo hoooooooo.
Old May 17, 05, 8:22 am

For Cat 1 & 2 hotels, does this promo apply to non-weekend stays?
Old May 17, 05, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wma
I went to this page and couldn't see where you were referring. Sometimes I not very observant, but I thought I checked.
The offer is right there in plain sight in the middle of the page. It reads:
A Special Platinum Thank You

Celebrate our 6th Program of the Year win with
25% off Starpoints redemption for Platinum Starwood
Preferred Guests!

Book by May 21
Old May 17, 05, 9:04 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Life P 3MM, Hilton D, Hyatt D, R C/Marriott P, SPG Life P
If not stated already. You can cancel and get your points back. If you modify it will be at the regular point level. If you book three nights and then change to only two re-calculate at regular point level. Just told this by SPG P desk in regards to our new award reservation in AMS.
Old May 17, 05, 9:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by daveland
You'd think that if they want to increase award bookings for the summer and want to thank those that voted SPG, they'd open this to everyone....
Will the whining ever stop?

Seriously though.. perhaps this is incentive to get to SPG Plat so you can enjoy it next year.
Old May 17, 05, 9:17 am
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
The offer is right there in plain sight in the middle of the page. It reads:
You're absolutely correct, However the banner changes with different promo's, whenever you log onto the site.

When I logged in this morning it read "Personalized wake up service." It was a Sheraton Ad, after I read your post I went back again it was "Limited Time Offer Welcome Summer". Only after I kept refresing the page did I get "A special PLT Thank you."
Old May 17, 05, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA ExPlat 2012 & Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Is it permissible to book a standard category 4 room for 10,000 - 2,500 = 7,500, and then spend the 1,000 to upgrade the reservation to specialty 1 level? Or not? Thanks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: