Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

cancelling a non-refundable reservation made 2 hours ago? help, please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cancelling a non-refundable reservation made 2 hours ago? help, please

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2005, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Letisko
I went away for a few days and came back to find my message had stirred up quite a bit of debate! So here is what actually happened:

I called SPG customer service (thank you very much, William, for providing the number!) and explained the situation to them. The rep was very courteous and helpful, and offered to call the property for me. He said he would get back to me soon. Five minutes later, I get a phone call from him, saying "just wanted to let you know that i called the hotel and there is a managers meeting going on now so it may be a little while before I can get someone on the phone." (how cool is it that he called me back just to say that?) A few hours later, the reservation manager of the hotel calls me back (having spoken with him) to say no problem, they have cancelled it without penalty. I LOVE spg! ^

I unfortunately did not get the rep's last name (first name Drew) and when I called later to say thanks so much for the help and find out how to send in a notice of good service, the person said that a claim ticket had never been opened so she couldn't figure out who I spoke to. If anyone knows how to submit a compliment for a rep whose last name you don't know, please let me know so I can do so.

Oh, and one more clarification: there seemed to have been a lot of debate in people's messages about whether I had made a mistake or whether it was just that plans have changed. The answer is that it was both - I've made reservations on-line before at that property and at other SPG DC-area properties, and they've never been non-refundable. I was looking at the refundable rate when I realized I could do the "stay 5 days, get 25% off promotion", and i just didn't notice that doing so made the reservation non-refundable (my mistake). It was only when my plans changed an hour later that I learned that the reservation was non-refundable. Hopefully that clears things up

Thanks for the update and glad it did end up being resolved to your satisfaction.
Old May 6, 2005, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Letisko
I called SPG customer service (thank you very much, William, for providing the number!) and explained the situation to them.
With all due respect, the customer contact phone numbers can be found on the back of one's SPG card, as well as on the Starwood websites.

Did someone really need to post a complaint on FlyerTalk simply in order to get the very obvious suggestion that they should call customer service, and in order to find out the phone number?

As for the rationale put forward by some FTers that Starwood sometimes doesn't honor mistake rates, therefore, customers do not ever have to honor any of the T&Cs posted on the Starwood website....

However, I do agree that exceptions should sometimes be made, and that it is good that Starwood made one in this situation. ^
Old May 6, 2005, 9:10 pm
Suspended

"As for the rationale put forward by some FTers that Starwood sometimes doesn't honor mistake rates, therefore, customers do not ever have to honor any of the T&Cs posted on the Starwood website.... "

Point?
Old May 6, 2005, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Which T&C would that be?

The one buried somewhere deep in the fine print that supposedly says Starwood can rescind anything it does by mistake (but not if the customer makes a mistake)? Buried so deep in fact that I say, "Good luck finding it even if you are looking for it."

Or the one prominately displayed on its "Best Rates" guarantee page saying, "Why book anywhere else? CUSTOMER SERVICE. Rest assured that your reservation will be error free. That means no surprises at check-in."
Old May 6, 2005, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Did someone really need to post a complaint on FlyerTalk simply in order to get the very obvious suggestion that they should call customer service, and in order to find out the phone number?
Is there something wrong with a customer posting their experience with Starwood and having some discussion? That's what this board is for!
Old May 7, 2005, 8:09 am
Suspended

Thumbs up

kudos to starwood and william. ^
Old May 7, 2005, 8:18 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Originally Posted by estnet
The problem, as I see it, is the obscure way the *wood site doesn't give a confirmation screen that clearly states this is a NON REFUNDABLE rate until AFTER you confirm it.

For these "special" rates it requires clicking on a link to see the terms. I, for one, would be VERY grateful to have this fixed, so it is clear before one reserves what the terms are - I can't remember any other sites where I have not been prompted with the terms before I completed my reservation.
If it doesn't say so on the screen before one clicks to confirm, then Estnet is SPOT ON! ^
However, it probably does state a Cancellation Policy of 'Non-refundable--too late to cancel,' in the space where one expects 'Cancel by 6PM day of arrival.'

In the list of rates, the 21-day advance rates are sadly not marked non-ref. I have only experience to guide me to click on the link, which some people don't.
Old May 7, 2005, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I just booked a Hilton Garden Inn last night at the Nonref rate and it's very clearly explained both in a pop-up window and right in the room rate list. There was no ambiguity about what I was booking, so why is SPG different? I'm hoping Lurker is listening...
Old May 7, 2005, 10:51 pm
cxn

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
kudos to starwood and william. ^
Good for him, but there are others that have had to pay real $$ in the past due to mistakes and Starwood wouldnt give us back our money.

Sad.
Old May 8, 2005, 10:13 pm
Suspended

"kudos to starwood and william."

For what? For typical Republican corporate greed?

Starwood can whatever it wants, and we cannot? Why? Terms of Condtion? Please. Just because the write there little terms, that does not mean in any way they are legally binding.
Old May 10, 2005, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by FalseChecker
"As for the rationale put forward by some FTers that Starwood sometimes doesn't honor mistake rates, therefore, customers do not ever have to honor any of the T&Cs posted on the Starwood website.... "

Point?
The point was made by the smiley. (Perhaps your computer didn't display it?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.