Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Conference rates eligible for Starpoint/stay credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2005, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG

I'm sure this has been covered many times before, but please bear with me due to the limited search tools currently available. All I could ascertain is that AAA and Government rates qualify for point and stay credit.

I am attending a conference held at the Palace hotel in San Francisco, and have booked a room at the conference rate directly with the hotel. I forgot to give my SPG number when booking the room, so I called SPG customer service to add my SPG number to the reservation. Much to my surprise, the SPG rep told me that I will not earn starpoints or stay credit because I am getting a "deeply-discounted" rate at $229 per night and these special "group" rates do not earn starpoints.

As mentioned, the rate of $229 is a rate extended by the hotel to the conference attendees only, it was booked directly with the hotel, is not pre-paid, is fully cancelable up to three days prior to check-in, and is being held on my credit card.

I have received starpoints/stay credit on conference rates before. Is this a new policy? Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:32 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by 777
I'm sure this has been covered many times before, but please bear with me due to the limited search tools currently available. All I could ascertain is that AAA and Government rates qualify for point and stay credit.

I am attending a conference held at the Palace hotel in San Francisco, and have booked a room at the conference rate directly with the hotel. I forgot to give my SPG number when booking the room, so I called SPG customer service to add my SPG number to the reservation. Much to my surprise, the SPG rep told me that I will not earn starpoints or stay credit because I am getting a "deeply-discounted" rate at $229 per night and these special "group" rates do not earn starpoints.

As mentioned, the rate of $229 is a rate extended by the hotel to the conference attendees only, it was booked directly with the hotel, is not pre-paid, is fully cancelable up to three days prior to check-in, and is being held on my credit card.

I have received starpoints/stay credit on conference rates before. Is this a new policy? Thanks.
It depends. If this is a rooming list or a housing bureau reservation where the bill will be settled by Master Bill to the company, then it is ineligible. The hotel should be able to tell you whether it is or it isn't.

FYI, no one at the Customer Contact Centers can change a rooming list or housing bureau reservation. Any changes - and adding an SPG number would be considered to be a change - have to be done by the property itself.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I read the question as saying 'I made the reservation myself, I will be paying myself, I am attending a conference and receiving the conference rate.' If that is the case then it should be eligible for accumulating points and nights and stays, no?
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by gleff
I read the question as saying 'I made the reservation myself, I will be paying myself, I am attending a conference and receiving the conference rate.' If that is the case then it should be eligible for accumulating points and nights and stays, no?
Only the hotel is going to know for sure. Housing Bureau and Rooming List reservations usually require 1) the person who is staying booking with the hotel directly, using an outside agency or using the 800 number to book a group that is loaded for that purpose; and 2) giving a credit card for a guarantee, regardless of who is actually paying at check-out.

If the guest pays at check-out using his credit card, a company credit card or by Direct Bill rather than a Master Bill, then it is MHO that the stay is eligible for Starpoints and stay credit. That being said, my crystal ball is failing me on this one.

The property should know, however...hint, hint

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I called internal reservations at the hotel and they said that it is not being billed to a "master account," and I should receive credit. I will personally be paying for the room on my credit card. Additionally, the SPG rep did add my SPG number to my reservation, but warned me that I would not receive credit. Because SPG customer service could add my SPG number to my reservation, then my room rate should not fall under the categories raised by Starwood Lurker as being exceptions to earning points.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:59 am

Curious that anyone at the Customer Contact Center could add an SPG number to a rooming list or housing bureau reservation. I can't do that...or at least the last time I tried I couldn't. Maybe it has changed or the associate called the property to have them add it...hhmmm.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Curious that anyone at the Customer Contact Center could add an SPG number to a rooming list or housing bureau reservation. I can't do that...or at least the last time I tried I couldn't. Maybe it has changed or the associate called the property to have them add it...hhmmm.
[email protected]
Hi William,

Just to clarify, the hotel said that it is not being charged to a master account (which I assume is similar to a rooming list or housing bureau reservation).

My point that the SPG customer contact center could add my SPG number to my reservation is yet further evidence that it is not part of a rooming list or housing bureau reservation (She did not put me on hold to call the hotel and I never gave the hotel my SPG number).

Anyways, I'll follow-up after my stay as to whether I got the points/credit. So far, it looks highly probable that I will. Thanks again William.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by 777
...My point that the SPG customer contact center could add my SPG number to my reservation is yet further evidence that it is not part of a rooming list or housing bureau reservation (She did not put me on hold to call the hotel and I never gave the hotel my SPG number)...
Doh! You're probably right. It probably isn't a rooming list or housing bureau after all.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.