Sheraton SIN or.....

Old Mar 28, 05, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA-Gld, BD Lifetime Gld, LH Pleb, *Wd GPG, HH-Dmd, Amex: can take their Cent card and <CENSORED>
Question Sheraton SIN or.....

I'm holding a Towers res. at the Sheraton Singapore, but I seem to rembember that this hotel has a bad rep. both for Plat. Upgrades, and generally for being a little unhelpful and run down. (If the search function was working I'd just search for all the threads on SIN, but after slogging through google's list of page after page of people talking about transferring singapore airlines points to sheraton I've admitted defeat and thought I'd try asking....

Other option I'm holding at the moment is the Oriental Hotel in Raffles square, at the Amex FHR rate, which includes an upgrade (which would be a club suite if I got it) - Rates are roughly comparable.

So, any thoughts? This is a special trip for me being a birthday with an "0" in it, so I'm keen to get minimum hassle and maximum comfort!

Cheers,

Ken.
Old Mar 28, 05, 2:51 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, AA Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by KenF
I'm holding a Towers res. at the Sheraton Singapore, but I seem to rembember that this hotel has a bad rep. both for Plat. Upgrades, and generally for being a little unhelpful and run down. (If the search function was working I'd just search for all the threads on SIN, but after slogging through google's list of page after page of people talking about transferring singapore airlines points to sheraton I've admitted defeat and thought I'd try asking....

Other option I'm holding at the moment is the Oriental Hotel in Raffles square, at the Amex FHR rate, which includes an upgrade (which would be a club suite if I got it) - Rates are roughly comparable.

So, any thoughts? This is a special trip for me being a birthday with an "0" in it, so I'm keen to get minimum hassle and maximum comfort!

Cheers,

Ken.

As a plat, I completed two stays at this hotel in September '04. The first time I was upgraded to a very nice suite. The second time they upgraded me to a room on the same floor as the pool -- room had a sliding glass door leading out to the pool deck. The staff here is incredible. I don't recall the hotel as being run-down, but it isn't brand spanking new either. They have cocktails and limited appetizers nightly. During my first stay, I was actually invited to a GM reception held once a month--that was really, really nice. Dinner buffet, drinks, very classy, and all complimentary.
Old Mar 28, 05, 3:11 pm

I was in the same boat as you as I always try to book SPG hotels. I will be in Sin in may , and for the first time in a while I have opted away from SPG as 1) I have read bad reports about Plat treatment and 2) there is no club lounge.

I went for the MO instead. I note that you are a Centurion cardholder. You should not be paying FHR rate but Centurion rate, with upgrade at time of booking.

I booked a Harbour View Club suite for 75 a night ( staying 2 night with second night free).

IF there had been a good SPG promo I was going to CXL that and head for the Sheraton Sin instead, but with the current Promo I will stick with the MO instead ( hard to beat at that rate).

If you need any more info , drop me a line.
Old Mar 28, 05, 3:43 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, AA Plat, HH Gold
Despite my above praise for the hotel, I would have to say that there are other hotels that will offer you a greater value for your dollar, peso, pound, baht, etc.

If you are flying Singapore Air, you may be able to qualify for a discounted rate at the Ritz Carlton. The MO is an amazing hotel (had dinner & drinks there yesterday) as is the Raffles Hotel.

My primary driver for staying there the first time around was due to the 3 nights = 1 free weekend night offer *wood was running at the time.
Old Mar 28, 05, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by vivrant

My primary driver for staying there the first time around was due to the 3 nights = 1 free weekend night offer *wood was running at the time.

I understand that. If a Promo such as that was still running , I would have stayed at the Sheraton Sin.
Old Mar 29, 05, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Special Birthday? And you are AMX FHR?
Use:
Four Seasons
OR
Ritz Carlton (club level)
OR
Shangri-La (different people prefer different wings- I like the valley wing a lot)
I had two poor experiences at the Sheraton- and don't believe I am the only one based on other posts!
Old Mar 29, 05, 6:39 am

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Sheraton does NOT have a executive lounge, but will be happy to offer you the right to pay for a package that cost about SG 75 and I think offers one hour of free drinks in the regular lounge (bar) plus some free laundry or pressing. They do, however, deliver a half bottle of wine along with some fruit as a welcome gift.

The staff is friendly, proper (typical for Singapore), and pretty totally without ability to think outside the "box" - that is to make any decisions not decreed from "above".

That being said my upgrade to suite has been about half. There used to be free wi-fi access around the pool and lobby but this was changed abruptly without notice (in the middle of a day I was staying there in Jan) so that now you must pay the daily charge to get any internet access.

I don't think the hotel is run down. It appears quite lovely and well maintained. That said, I don't disagree with the other comments - except I wanted to point out that in many stays there was no "managers party" or complimentary lounge.

If money were no object I would stay at the Raffles - pricey but a wonderful feel of what it was like years ago (stayed there a few years ago when there was an amex special - now the rates are a LOT higher).

Oh, and Happy Birthday
Old Mar 29, 05, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The hotel is a bit old but very well maintained. As noted above, the staff are very efficient and contrary to Singapore's reputation well able to deal with irregular situations without asking someone else's opinion. I have about 50% success of getting a suite (which are nice but not mind blowing), the rest of the time I get a room on the 4th floor with a nearly useless terrace area.

Personally if I wanted to try somewhere special in Singapore without blowing the bank, I would try either the Fullerton (which has got over some of it's teething troubles) or the Four Seasons. I've had 2 bad stays at the Ritz Carlton and now won't go back. Wasn't keen on the Shangri-La - lobby was far too manic for my liking but the Valley Wing is nice. The Oriental is O.K, but in need of a refurb though I've not seen the suites. Raffles is - to my mind - way overpriced with too high an opinion of itself. Heard good things about the Swissotel, but never been inside.
Old Mar 29, 05, 1:12 pm

Programs: FD silver, PC plat. royal ambassador, SPG gold, HH gold, MR silver
I would choose the Manderin Oriental, it's just undergone a very extensive renovation and the lounge is excelent
Old Mar 29, 05, 8:36 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
Back in October, I was upgraded to the cabana rooms by the pool. Very good service from the staff. I was very pleased. But, having read some other reviews of the SIN hotels, the MO and Ritz, and, of course, the Raffles, are probably in a higher league.
Old Mar 29, 05, 10:56 pm

My experience

I stayed there (Sheraton) a couple of times in the last 3 years - was upgraded to nice suites all the time. Each suite that I stayed had a different theme - like safari, European art, etc. I also remember receiving some original gifts - in addition to wine/fruit/water stuff. By the way, the Chinese restaurant in the basement (Ribai?) is excellent - even my local gourmet friends love that place.

I also stayed at Ritz, but did not like the service I received. The bathroom, however, was awesome...
Old Mar 31, 05, 11:04 am

Location: SEA/PDX/NRT/SIN almost every month. I love my sanctuary at Sentosa Cove
Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I just stayed there last weekend on a Free Weekend nite. Here's what I feel.

Service has gone up a notch. Last yr, there weren't any bellhop in sight. Last week however, there are a few, but it still lacks the army of concierge manning the doors at Conrad SIN

I was preallocated a suite on the 13th flr. The suite looks dated, but sufficient. I request for a suite change. Apparently, all suites at Sheraton SIN have a connecting door to leads to another room, but lacks soundproofing. So if you turn up the TV set, your next door neighbour wouldn't be too happy about it. I managed to switch to one on the 18th flr with the next room vacant.

The standard platinum gift of fruits, cheese, bottled water, and small bottle of red wine is always appreciated. What is lacking at Sheraton SIN is an executive lounge.

Given that Sheraton SIN is the only SPG property present, that doesn't leave one much choice. However, I feel if Sheraton SIN wants to compete with the big boys (ala Conrad, Hilton, Hyatt), they need to bring it up one more notch, especially given its lack of prime location.

There is one thing commendable about Sheraton SIN is their staff's honesty. I left behind my digital camera charger, and didn't realize it until a couple of days later. Called them the next day, and Lost&Found has it tucked away, awaiting my collection. Now, that I am impressed!
Old Mar 31, 05, 12:54 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I stayed here last September, and my Platinum upgrade was a pool terrace room. I thought the service to be just fine overall for an Asian property, although it's probably not at the standard of say the Ritz or Raffles (just guessing, never stayed at them).

The location isn't the greatest, but it is a bit quieter being off of Orchard Rd. You are close to a MRT station (one stop to Orchard Rd.) and the Newton Hawker Center though.

Eventually, there will be a St. Regis next door, but not for quite a while.
Old Apr 2, 05, 2:16 am

Programs: Accor Plat,SGP plat, Hyatt Dia, PC Plat, QF Plat, SG TPP, TG Gold
I stay there quite often. Until recently pretty lousy (non-existent)benefits for platinum members. They have lifted their game ( comp wine, cheese in the room, breakfast). Suite upgrades rare...but the terrace rooms on the same level as the pool are OK...but nothing special. They need to work harder to keep loyal following because this is not the best located hotel and it is a bit tired. Food outlets are good. The Hyatt , also on Scott's road but much closer to Orchard Road, is a good alternative ( more expensive...).

Originally Posted by KenF

Cheers,

Ken.
Old Apr 3, 05, 1:51 am
Y'z

Question

Originally Posted by paul577
I stay there quite often. Until recently pretty lousy (non-existent)benefits for platinum members. They have lifted their game ( comp wine, cheese in the room, breakfast). Suite upgrades rare...but the terrace rooms on the same level as the pool are OK...but nothing special. They need to work harder to keep loyal following because this is not the best located hotel and it is a bit tired. Food outlets are good. The Hyatt , also on Scott's road but much closer to Orchard Road, is a good alternative ( more expensive...).
Did they start to provide breakfast for platinum members? I have not stay there for a while. so I would like to have a updated info to make sure this point.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: