Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin St. Francis, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin St. Francis, San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
What hotel in the world does not have a "conference room" - does that make them a "conference hotel"? I'm talking the smallest suburban place in nowhere often has a dedicated meeting room that could be rented out.
A "conference room" does not a "conference hotel" make... But having the facilities to handle hundreds of people and the catering that goes along with that does in my book. Yes, some properties my abuse that definition (just like when they tell you you've been upgraded to the room type you booked). But I think in this case it works. And they are on the list maintained by SPG, so I'd bet there was a bit of vetting to qualify.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've stayed here a number of times, and every single time the purpose of my trip was a big convention. Otherwise, I'd probably pick a different hotel in San Francisco. <offered as an anecdote, not evidence/proof/data>
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
The Oxford North American Reunion was just held there and there were 500 attendees, which is not convention center size but quite large. In addition to the conference rooms there is a large entertainment suite on the 32 floor. For some reason everyone chose to cram into half of it but I don't know if the legal occupancy is 1,000. The empty half did make a nice quiet retreat with a surfeit of servers!
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
My law school holds its reunions here. They do multiple years together, so it can easily be 500 attendees.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Looks like this hotel was quietly changed to a category 5 today. Much better value for an award redemption.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Looks like this hotel was quietly changed to a category 5 today. Much better value for an award redemption.
in a time when properties are all getting inflated and most decent places are a 6 now....you know this means the St Francis is a total garbage dump. Which it is.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by marcworld
in a time when properties are all getting inflated and most decent places are a 6 now....you know this means the St Francis is a total garbage dump. Which it is.
That is a bit hyperbolic. It is a very reasonable option for 12,000 points when on many week days any decent hotel in the city is well over $300/night.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:25 pm

That is a bit hyperbolic. It is a very reasonable option for 12,000 points when on many week days any decent hotel in the city is well over $300/night.
Consider that your free room is likely to be located in the older tower which, to me, resembles a prison, or perhaps an old mental asylum.

Despise that place.

And the barebones plat breakfast offering isn't helping them either.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum

And the barebones plat breakfast offering isn't helping them either.

I have not stayed at this hotel, but I stopped at the front desk and asked about the Plat breakfast benefit. He said it included the full continental breakfast buffet, which is very robust. So why do you call it ‘barebones’?
Old May 18, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by HookEm
I have not stayed at this hotel, but I stopped at the front desk and asked about the Plat breakfast benefit. He said it included the full continental breakfast buffet, which is very robust. So why do you call it ‘barebones’?
that sounds like quite an improvement from previous practice. all the times i've stayed there - and I quit staying there because it was awful so my most recent visit was at least a year or more ago - the plat breakfast was a measly $10 credit that you could use at the lobby counter snack bar thing which basically got you like an fast food style egg sandwich and a banana or something. there was no buffet.

if there's a buffet...i might check it out again.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It is a very reasonable option for 12,000 points when on many week days any decent hotel in the city is well over $300/night.
Make that $500.

I was at the Springhill Suites Belmont/Redwood Shores Sunday night, and the desk clerk told me the rooms were going for $800 this week.
Old May 19, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip> you know this means the St Francis is a total garbage dump. Which it is.
Consider that your free room is likely to be located in the older tower which, to me, resembles a prison, or perhaps an old mental asylum.
if there's a buffet...i might check it out again.
So, just to be clear and ensure we are all following your logic(?); as long as they feed you a "free" buffet, then all of the sudden, magically, it might be worth staying in a hotel you referred to as "a total garbage dump," "a prison," or "an old mental asylum."

Umm... ok, got it, makes perfect sense...

The utterly maniacal and absurd obsession people in this forum have with "free" breakfast just continues to absolutely boggle my freakin' mind...

Regards
dayone, controller1 and RafKa like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Stay here 2 nights for 27000 points (upgrade from regular room) in Aug 2018 as SPG Gold. No upgrade or better room provided at check in.

The beds are very old and not comfortable. At night while sleeping I can hear toilet flushing all night long and faucet running from time to time from other rooms. No free bottle water in room, must ask for free bottle water at lobby concierge.

The elevators are amazing tho, fast and efficient.

Parking fee is painful....

Won't be staying here again.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by bcmind
Won't be staying here again.
While I understand your pain, it is your own problem choosing the wrong hotel.

Stay here 2 nights for 27000 points (upgrade from regular room) in Aug 2018 as SPG Gold. No upgrade or better room provided at check in.
Regardess the merger or not, I don't believe award stay can be upgraded. Even I am wrong, there are many people ahead of you in term of upgrade.

The beds are very old and not comfortable. At night while sleeping I can hear toilet flushing all night long and faucet running from time to time from other rooms. No free bottle water in room, must ask for free bottle water at lobby concierge.
Typical problem for hotels with history. But I do admit - the water problem is legit.

Parking fee is painful....
No one tells you to book a hotel in the center of DT SF or get a rental car...
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by scubadu
The utterly maniacal and absurd obsession people in this forum have with "free" breakfast just continues to absolutely boggle my freakin' mind
Amen, brother.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.