Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Bahamas - Sheraton vs Westin

All - considering a trip to the Bahamas, key considerations including:

1) I'm Platinum
2) My kids are accompanying, age 3 and 5
3) I don't golf
4) Price differential between the two properties not really an issue (unless aggregious)

Any guidance would be appreciated, in the absence of the FT search engine.

Best, Jamie
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:42 am

They're literally right next door to each other and share the same amenities, so keep that in mind. The rooms at the Westin are quite a bit nicer, as the Westin is a much newer hotel (or more recently renovated). The Sheraton seemed to be geared a little more towards families, as the pool area had more stuff to hold the attention of children. But as I mentioned, you can walk right next door and use the Sheraton pool if staying at the Westin. If you want nicer rooms, go with the Westin. If you want to be closer to the stuff that will keep the children entertained, go with the Sheraton.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I too am planning a trip to the Bahamas. At first I was thinking about the Atlantis, springing for an ocean view on the club floor for $660---but when I saw how big the resort is, I opted out. I'd rather spend the $$ at a smaller hotel--but still close to the Atlantis (hubby wants to gamble ).As a Plat, I assume I'd get an upgrade at a Starwood hotel, and as we're travelling without children, we just want a really nice hotel + I like the idea of getting Starwood points/nights. Any suggestions?? Or should I go for something more like the One & Only resort??? (no points, but more intimate & luxurious??)
Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:20 pm

Location: atlanta, ga, - SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Delta Silver Medallion
Without a doubt...Westin

I've stayed at both and they share the same grounds so it is not a major issue, but the rooms and common areas of the Westin are much nicer. The last post had me confused... the Sheraton and Westin are in Freepot ( a completely different island than New Providence and the Atlantis Resort). I believe the Sheraton next to the Atlantis has closed. That being said, I have also stayed at the Atlantis and much prefer Grand Bahama. Atlantis is one of a kind, but basically Walt Disney World with a splash of Las Vegas plopped dwon in the Caribbean.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 5:23 pm

Atlantis is on paradise island , Sheraton and westin are in freeport , 1 hour flight.

Stayed at both westin and sheraton. Westin A bit nicer rooms , but servise was not at all up to par with westins
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:27 pm

Location: Smoke filled room, TPA and FLL/MIA :UAL 1K and 2MM,AA EX PLAT and 2MM,Lifetime Plat Starwood
Actually, The first poster was not clear which Island they meant. If you have been to ALL three Starwood properties on BOTH islands, you'd realize they were talking Grand Bahama (go with the Westin). However, the other poster was talking about the Sheraton on Paradise Island (Naasau), which is right next to the Atlantis. The two on Grand Bahama are wonderful. The Sheraton on Paradise Island is ... okay. (but much cheaper than the next door Atlantis).

Now, I would tell the Original poster there is a great CIGAR BAR in the Westin... you can smoke and watch the Bikini's ... I mean Beach... yeah.. beach from there.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Will be at the Westin in Freeport from 3/14-3/18/05. Reviews on Tripadvisor.com where very good and I will post a stay report here when return.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cigarman
Actually, The first poster was not clear which Island they meant. If you have been to ALL three Starwood properties on BOTH islands, you'd realize they were talking Grand Bahama (go with the Westin). However, the other poster was talking about the Sheraton on Paradise Island (Naasau), which is right next to the Atlantis. The two on Grand Bahama are wonderful. The Sheraton on Paradise Island is ... okay. (but much cheaper than the next door Atlantis).

Now, I would tell the Original poster there is a great CIGAR BAR in the Westin... you can smoke and watch the Bikini's ... I mean Beach... yeah.. beach from there.
Actually, SPG.COM only shows the two properties on Grand Bahama, nothing in Nassau. Even searching 'Nassau' doesn't work.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:02 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Actually, SPG.COM only shows the two properties on Grand Bahama, nothing in Nassau. Even searching 'Nassau' doesn't work.
The Sheraton Grand Paradise Island was closed last summer.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:37 pm

Programs: Coutts Silk Card, Hilton G,SPG Plat,Priority C Plat, Amex BA +,Kempinski P C,BA G,Virgin G, P-Pass
Originally Posted by mauld
I too am planning a trip to the Bahamas. At first I was thinking about the Atlantis, springing for an ocean view on the club floor for $660---but when I saw how big the resort is, I opted out. I'd rather spend the $$ at a smaller hotel--but still close to the Atlantis (hubby wants to gamble ).As a Plat, I assume I'd get an upgrade at a Starwood hotel, and as we're travelling without children, we just want a really nice hotel + I like the idea of getting Starwood points/nights. Any suggestions?? Or should I go for something more like the One & Only resort??? (no points, but more intimate & luxurious??)
I made the SAME mistake, I booked the 'Westin' for my stay in the 'Bahamas', had a lovely room arranged for Easter, all was well UNTIL, I contacted AVIS to arrange for my hire car in Nassau for a couple of the days, arriving on BA. I was asked what hotel I wanted to drop the car off at, I said the Westin, the guy laughed saying that it was on another island Well I can tell you he has heard it before, and it taught me a lesson about the Geography of the Islands Anyway all sorted now, and not staying or attempting to drive to the Westin from Nassau
Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
I did a search... and well reviving an older post here... IS late AUG / early SEP a decent time to go there for a long weekend?

Thanks!

-Vincent
Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by vincom
I did a search... and well reviving an older post here... IS late AUG / early SEP a decent time to go there for a long weekend?

Thanks!

-Vincent
Mid-August through October is peak hurricane season.

Of course that doesn't mean you'll get a hurricane while spending a weekend there! But it is rainy season, so you may prefer betting on averages and weekending somewhere else. On the other hand, rates and occupancy levels tend to be lower... (cheaper and better chance for upgrades!). Those are tradeoffs you'll have to navigate.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by vincom

Thanks!

-Vincent
I've been there before in mid Sept and really enjoyed the absence of big crowds and people. A bit hot but otherwise really enjoyed the stay. Actually vincom look me up if you go, I'm booked in the Sheraton Aug 31 - Sept 4 with a couple of family members. I'll buy the first round at the pool bar.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 1:47 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Thanks All!

I want to go away for a long weekend with my S/O. We are debating between the Bahamas - Cabo San Lucas - Torotno.

I know whats it going to be like in Toronto and in Cabo San Lucas - I saw the Westin which looks nice, but we have a time share at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Bay www.pueblobonito.com .

He (S/O) lives in AZ so he was chewing me out over going to mexico when its in his back yard - and I think he has an unhealthy affixitation to Canada :P I wanted to go to SYD with that great hotel rate at the W (for thier 4th bday), but 3000 just for coach (and I cant do it in coach) is insane...

-Vincent
Old Jul 6, 2005, 11:48 pm

Programs: United 1k SPG Platinum Marriott lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
All - considering a trip to the Bahamas, key considerations including:

1) I'm Platinum
2) My kids are accompanying, age 3 and 5
3) I don't golf
4) Price differential between the two properties not really an issue (unless aggregious)

Any guidance would be appreciated, in the absence of the FT search engine.

Best, Jamie
Was there at the Sheraton last Christmas holiday. Booked the buy 4 nights get 2 free deal. I reserved 3 rooms for my family. I arrived with my family on Friday and left the island and the hotel on Tuesday morning. What happened was I had gotten food poisoning at their restaurant and was bed ridden for 24 hours. When I was finally ok to stand up and not constantly throw up I immediately made plans to leave that island and to cut my vacation their short. As a Platinum member I was not upgraded at all. They claimed that their rooms were sold. The Sheraton Promise there was a joke cause when I checked out of the hotel that day the person at the front desk asked how was my stay and I told her that I had been sick for the last 24 hours. Nothing was done but instead I settled my rooms with them and thought everything was settled. Instead when I got home they had billed my credit card for about another $756.00 for charges that I didn't authorized on top of what I had paid. It took constant phone calls to their accounting dept and then I was fed up and called the Corporate office and they stepped in. Once they stepped it everything moved smoothly. It took 1 1/2 month to refund monies that was owed to me. Their service there is "LOUSY". I received a phone call from someone there that was in guest relations. That she knew of my incident from Corporate. That she wanted to hear it from me. She then apologized and said that she wanted to make it up to me. I told her thats not what I want at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.