Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Same-day booking using points

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Same-day booking using points

I just wanted to share yet another cool and amazing Starwood experience. I was supposed to fly last night from Montreal to Dulles through Philly. My flight was cancelled by the FAA and everything else into greater DC was full so I got stranded in YUL for the evening (and forget getting anything in the way of comps from USAir). Called the platinum angel and she said there's a four points nearby, but for $169CAD per night! No way I'm paying that much for a crappy four points...

I inquired about using points, she checked and no problem. 15 minutes later I was in my room! For a measly 3000 points I found refuge for the evening. Thanks again Starwood - you must be the only program on earth that allows me to use points on a same day reservation.

Another interesting tidbit. In the morning, a bill for about $40CAD was waiting for me. I checked with the front desk and they said I should not have received that bill; it was for "internal use only". I remember the room charge being $38CAD or so... How odd is it that this rate is exactly 1 US cent per point used. Seems 1c/point the rate properties use to "settle" the bill with Starwood corporate for award stays...
Old Feb 22, 2005, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton DIA, Marriott Gld
Too strange...same day reward for me too

How ironic, 3 days ago I also made a same day reservation using award points. Mine was over the internet on a last minute decision to stay much closer to an airport to catch up on some much needed sleep. Starwood redemption is simply the BEST.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Sorry for bring up this old thread but I have a situation in which I am unsure whether I need a room or not. I will be in Guangzhou in a couple of days and the Westin rate shows 3000RMB (no doubt due to the Fair).
This means I may have to walk into the hotel and book an award room.

Is it possible to just walk in and flash my card and do it at the front desk or do I have to go through SPG to get the award redemption done?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 12, 2008, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Is it possible to just walk in and flash my card and do it at the front desk or do I have to go through SPG to get the award redemption done?
I believe a well-trained clerk should be able to book an award res for you. Why, though, don't you reserve in advance (noting the cancellation deadline)--that way you make sure there is a (standard) room available...
Old Apr 12, 2008, 5:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
I think one must go through SPG customer service to book a room on points. It is not supposed to be done through the hotel (though I suppose they could call SPG customer service for you and let you do the booking.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I believe a well-trained clerk should be able to book an award res for you. Why, though, don't you reserve in advance (noting the cancellation deadline)--that way you make sure there is a (standard) room available...
I actually won't know till the day I arrive whether there will be a place for me to stay Cancellation for this hotel is 6PM day prior

And upon further digging back to 2004, I found this:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ght=award+walk

In short, I will need to contact SPG via phone or via website.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by DivMiler
I think one must go through SPG customer service to book a room on points. It is not supposed to be done through the hotel (though I suppose they could call SPG customer service for you and let you do the booking.
Correct indeed; thanks though!
Old Apr 12, 2008, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DivMiler
I guess that's what kind of happened with me once when I was a walk-in--the hotel made a phone call and coordinated with them. I didn't have to talk on the phone, though. I didn't care. It was late, and I wanted to sleep!
Old Apr 12, 2008, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by geadnic
Another interesting tidbit. In the morning, a bill for about $40CAD was waiting for me. I checked with the front desk and they said I should not have received that bill; it was for "internal use only". I remember the room charge being $38CAD or so... How odd is it that this rate is exactly 1 US cent per point used. Seems 1c/point the rate properties use to "settle" the bill with Starwood corporate for award stays...
this happens on about 1/4 of my award stays.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 4:29 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
I once changed the paid reservation to award reservation while I was checking in at Krakow, Poland. Front desk asked me to call SPG by myself and made the award booking without help of front desk personnel.
She said she could not call for customers.
Maybe, she was not kind enough or maybe, that was the policy by SPG.
Anyway, I could changed the reservation since award room was available and my paid reservation was cancellable.

However, you shall make sure that award room is available , especially if it is a busy night such as fair/convention day.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:07 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Tak
I once changed the paid reservation to award reservation while I was checking in at Krakow, Poland. Front desk asked me to call SPG by myself and made the award booking without help of front desk personnel.
She said she could not call for customers.
Maybe, she was not kind enough or maybe, that was the policy by SPG.
Anyway, I could changed the reservation since award room was available and my paid reservation was cancellable.
She might be able to call on your behalf but you would have to speak to the SPG associate directly as your authorisation is needed for award redemption. There is your Credit Card info as well which is confidential as well.

Thank you and have a nice day!

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.