Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ameritrade Starwood offer [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2003, 1:41 pm

I read the offer and its 10K when signing up and 10K 6 months later.

I have a few Q's if anyone has used them before ?

What is Ameritrade like ? Are they good abt. posting these pts as promised ? How's their service like, and what are their money market rates like (no where near the ING's rates I bet).
Old Apr 16, 2003, 2:33 pm

Nope. I checked for mutual funds and the fee is $18 each way to trade. The internet trades are $11. They have a reservefund mm that pays 0.35% with free check writing. I have not yet decided to take this offer from ameritrade.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 4:57 pm
formerly known as CARTflagman

I know all the rules are in the link above, but just to clarify, for those that think they will get 20,000 SPG points in 6 months:

You will get 10,000 points 6-8 weeks after funding your account with $25,000. The $25K can be securities or whatever, accept for IRAs or internal transfers. For new accounts only.

You will get the final 10,000 points 6-8 weeks after you maintain at least a $25K balance for 6 straight months. If you monthly balance drops below $25K at any time during that first 6 months, you are out of luck for the final 10,000 points.

So, to sum it all up:

After 1.5-2 months, 10K points.
After 7.5-8 months, the final 10K points if your balance has not droped below $25K for 6 months.

Not a bad deal if you have $25K that you will not be needing for the next 8 months.

CF

[This message has been edited by CART_Flagman (edited 04-16-2003).]
Old Apr 17, 2003, 6:52 am

Programs: SPG Platinum;HH Diamond; PC Platinum; Marriott Platinum
I used a similar promotion last July, transferring $5,000 to start a new Ameritrade account for 8,000 SkyMiles. I received 4,000 points in about 4 weeks and received the remaining 4,000 in January even though my balance had dropped below $5,000 a couple of months during the initial six month period. I still have the account and have had no problems, though I have heard they are a bit slow in closing an account out.
Old Apr 17, 2003, 9:17 am

I'm considering this deal myself. Here's a quick and dirty comparison I did:

Option A: $25,000 parked in Ameritrade account for 6 months = 20,000 SPG points = enough for 1 free night in Cat. 6, or 2 free nights in Cat. 4, or transfer for 25K airline miles.

Option B: $25,000 in INGDirect Savings Account, no fees, 2.20% apr = approx. $273.50 earned after 6 months.

(I realize that there are many other investment options for the $25K paying higher interest, but that's not a fair comparison because those involve more risk or require tying up the money longer than 6 months.)

By my calculations, you are coming out ahead with this Ameritrade promotion.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I'm bumping this thread with some new info. I just got an offer email from Ameritrade, details below. My offer is less generous than the one talked about here (10K vs 20K for a $25K deposit).

What's significant is that I already used another offer, getting 25K DL Skymiles as a bonus when I opened my account a year or two ago. My account has remained open and active. So it's the first chance I've seen to double-dip bonuses on a brokerage account.

------
Dear swag,

Thanks for choosing Ameritrade!

You already know that Ameritrade can give you the advanced trading tools and outstanding value. But did you know we could help you earn free hotel stays?

Well, we can! Through our partnership with Starwood Hotels & Resorts and Starwood Preferred Guest(R), you'll get 10,000 Starpoints(SM) when you deposit $25,000 or more into your Ameritrade(R) account by July 25, 2003.(1) Deposit $10,000 or more and receive 4,000 Starpoints.

With over 750 Starwood locations worldwide, you'll be able to use your Starpoints for free nights or room upgrades at Westin(R) Hotels & Resorts, Sheraton(R) Hotels & Resorts, Four Points(R) by Sheraton, St. Regis(R), The Luxury Collection(R) and W Hotels(R)! You can also convert your Starpoints into airline miles.

But that's not all! As an Ameritrade client, you'll also automatically qualify for prestigious Preferred Plus status in the award-winning Starwood Preferred Guest program.
To take advantage of this offer and receive your Starpoints, you must first be a Starwood Preferred Guest member.

If you aren't already a Starwood Preferred Guest member,
learn more and enroll now.

Once you've enrolled, follow these instructions to get your Starpoints:

Please visit:
http://www.ameritrade.com/offer/starwood.html
Select your deposit preference - $25,000 or $10,000
Enter your Starwood Preferred Guest account number and your Ameritrade account number
Print the deposit slip and make your deposit!
Don't miss out on this offer - it's only around until July 25. Enroll in Starwood Preferred Guest and make your Ameritrade deposit today!

Sincerely,
1. Offer valid for pre-selected Individual or Joint accounts funded with a new deposit via check, ACH, or wire of at least $10,000 to receive 4,000 Starpoints - or at least $25,000 or more to receive 10,000 Starpoints between 07/08/2003 and 07/25/2003. Please allow 6-8 weeks from account funding for the Starpoints to appear in your Starwood Preferred Guest account. Account must remain open with minimum additional deposit for 6 months. Offer not valid for IRAs and other tax-exempt accounts or entities, external or internal transfers or with any other offer. Limit one offer per client. Offer is not transferable. Ameritrade reserves the right to restrict or revoke this offer at any time. -This is not an offer or solicitation in any jurisdiction where we are not authorized to do business.

Old Jul 9, 2003, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Have the SPG points posted promptly?
Old Jul 10, 2003, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Cactuspete,

I received the 1st half(10K) of the 20k points offer within 1 week of making the initial deposit.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 11:07 am

I got 10,000 points just 3 days after opening the account.

I'm still waiting on the other 10K, bbut I think I still have a month to go until it has been 6 months.

Does anyone know if your account drops below 25K due to stock price devaluation if you still get the points?

CF
Old Sep 2, 2003, 11:54 am

I got my points but only after called them. I would give them a call.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 12:21 pm

Who did you call - SPG or Ameritrade?

Thanks.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 12:33 pm

I also got the first 10K shortly after I sent in the cash.

Keba
Old Sep 3, 2003, 11:50 am

Hi All:

I called Ameritrade and found out that if you open a 25K account, and the value drops due to stock devaluation (not withdrawing funds), you will still get the final 10K.

Woo-hoo!

CF
Old Sep 3, 2003, 12:33 pm

I called Ameritrade. The missing points show up 10 days later.
Old Sep 4, 2003, 1:29 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I should call Ameritrade today. I sent them the cash 3 months ago, but I never made a trade, which I thought may have been the problem.

------------------
Play the travel game 3 vacations into the future!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.