Resort fees when staying on points?

Old Jan 5, 05, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Resort fees when staying on points?

I know this must have been answered before, but I can't seem to find it in the other posts...

I am looking to use points for a stay in Florida, most likely a *wood resort. I'm just wondering if any/all resort fees are included when you "pay" for the night using starpoints. I certainly think they SHOULD be...and I would hope *wood wouldn't try to effectively "scam" people who have spent awhile earning the points to stay there (since they're all 10,000 points a night!). Hopefully someone will know...

Thanks in advance!

A seperate issue, but I also think that plats should have resort fees waived anyway, since they include amenities we get for free at other hotels. For instance, The Atlantic (in Ft Lauderdale) boasts that the fee includes:
"entrance to the fitness center/Spa Atlantic as well as unlimited local calls and toll-free calls up to 60 minutes."
We already get the fitness center for free...and at most *wood hotels that have a club level, the free 800 and local calls are quite common too!

Just a thought....(anyone with me on a revolt?!?)

Last edited by moulder3; Jan 5, 05 at 10:14 am
Old Jan 5, 05, 10:21 am

When staying on a reward, you are charged the resort fee. And to make it worse, you do not even earn SPG points on these charges.
Old Jan 5, 05, 11:04 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Yes, resort fees DO apply, even to Plats, even when on awards.

Eugene, contrary to your comment, I have been able to earn points on *selected incidentals* (ie NOT spa, NOT parking, but food, gift shop, etc) while on award stays. NOT specifically sure about the resort fee, per se, but thought it was included in my calcuation for starpoints during one or more recent award stays.

Two specific examples were stays at in Dec, 2002, at St. Regis/Aspen, and then Dec, 2003, Westin/Whistler.

YMMV

As to "revolt", it has been discussed for a long time as to why resort fees are charged for services which OVERLAP, as you have identified, perks and benefits, even standard hotel features, which would otherwise be provided. I consider it part of the bracket creep of ALL affinity programs, both hotel and airlines. Seems no program, even spg, will enforce ON the properties TO THE BENEFIT OF spg members the basic concept that "an award is an award is an award". So, we experience all sorts of variations across starwood properties and such. This is one soapbox I won't bother with any longer and yes, that's a defeatist attitide.

Other threads have debated that hotels in effect killed their own phone service by charging such offensive price; along came the cell phone and killed that gouge opportunity.

Ditto for the servi-bar....if they would, say, mark up street prices 150-200%...I believe most hotel guests would partake every now and again. Instead, most properties go for the jugular...and 300-400% markup above street prices...which is a huge turn-off. Thus, they get zero income instead of nominal income from servi-bars in my generalization of how servi-bars work.

So, comes along "resort fees"...another oportunity to charge, sometimes even "gouge", for what used to be included. Good luck in your quest to change this.

In a select few properties, you can be firm at the front desk and they will waive the resort fee....BUT you will lose access to whatever "bundle of services" was provided for that fee, even perks which otherwise would come w/ your status. Go figure.

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; Jan 5, 05 at 11:16 am
Old Jan 5, 05, 11:10 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Resort fees are not among the charges that are eligible for earning Starpoints and members must pay the resort fee on award rooms unless the resort is willing to waive them.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 5, 05, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ILUVCITIBANK
Eugene, contrary to your comment, I have been able to earn points on *selected incidentals* (ie NOT spa, NOT parking, but food, gift shop, etc) while on award stays. NOT specifically sure about the resort fee, per se, but thought it was included in my calcuation for starpoints during one or more recent award stays.
Actually, not necessarily "contrary" - certain incidentals do earn SPG points, just not resort fees (as confirmed by Starwood Lurker above). So, unless a mistake was made by the hotel, chances are your memory fails you...
Old Jan 5, 05, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've given up trying to figure out what gets points and what doesn't, but maybe someone can make sense of this, as I just had an award stay at Steamboat Springs:

5 x $13.13 = $65 in resort fees
Room Service = $142 for the week

The folio says "you have earned at least 261 Starpoints"

SPG.com - Starpoints - 192

AFAIK, it's 2 points per dollar, but I can't find $96 in spend to result in 192 points - would some RS meals count and some not?

As for the fees, I got parking ($15/day for non guests), nightly ski storage ($3), 2 bottles of water each day in the room ($2 each, in theory, although a property with a lounge would have this free), and free local calls, which we actually used a few times. I was OK with paying it.

btw, William, you may have missed my question, embedded in post 26 of this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167595

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 5, 05 at 7:08 pm
Old Jan 5, 05, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Try excluding:

1.) the resort fees, except for the water.
2.) Exclude any alcohol with the room service
3.) All taxes

Originally Posted by CPRich
I've given up trying to figure out what gets points and what doesn't, but maybe someone can make sense of this, as I just had an award stay at Steamboat Springs:

5 x $13.13 = $65 in resort fees
Room Service = $125 for the week
Tax = $15

Starpoints - 192

AFAIK, it's 2 points per dollar, but I can't find $96 in spend to result in 192 points - would some RS meals count and some not?

As for the fees, I got parking ($15/day for non guests), nightly ski storage ($3), 2 bottles of water each day in the room ($2 each, in theory, although a property with a lounge would have this free), and free local calls, which we actually used a few times. I was OK with paying it.

btw, William, you may have missed my question, embedded in post 26 of this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167595
Old Jan 5, 05, 6:27 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by CPRich
...btw, William, you may have missed my question, embedded in post 26 of this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167595
No, I didn't miss it. I thought it was answered fairly well by your peers, but if you need an answer from me as well, I toddle over and answer it now.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jan 5, 05, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by bigjim
Try excluding:

1.) the resort fees, except for the water.
2.) Exclude any alcohol with the room service
3.) All taxes
I found the actual receipt and updated the amounts above.

No alcohol (4 breakfasts and 1 dinner) and no tax on the folio, so just straight $142 for room service. Even deducting 8% tax and 20% gratuity gets me to $111 in purely food charges.

I'm not sweating it, this is just the latest example - I am never able to get to the number posted. Especially when the folio says I will earn "at least 261 points", and that's the one under the door before the final breakfast. $126 in Food, $65 in fees, 261 in points.

Imputing back in the portion of the fees that would have gone to water is something I didn't think about - seems like a lot of work for a few points. As I said, I'm just amused by the complexity.
Old Jan 5, 05, 8:41 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
I have generally found that the "you have earned at least xxx" on the folio doesn't generally relate to the amount actually posted to my SPG account.

Last edited by bigjim; Jan 5, 05 at 8:45 pm
Old Jan 5, 05, 9:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Atlantic waives resort fee

Some hotels have chosen to waive the resort fee. Stayed at The Atlantic recently and the resort fee was waived for Platinums (think it is only for Plats but didn't ask specifically why it was waived). It is up to each hotel; maybe being Luxury Collection in a competitive market made this hotel decide that it was a tacky fee and did more harm than good. My own opinion is that it is a very small part of the cost of a stay (even if using points -- at least I always wind up spending hundreds per day at these resorts) and applaud the Atlantic for striving to do better and eliminate this fee (it is a very nice and well run hotel, btw, with a great spa).
Old Jan 6, 05, 2:03 pm

I just completed a 2-night award stay at the Swan (Disney) using my promotional free nights (stay 3 get 1 free). Although the hotel does advertise a $10 per day resort fee to cover local phone (and some other BS which is supposed to be free) I was not charged the fee... perhaps an oversight, perhaps hotel policy not to charge...

BTW, Swan was excellent if you are considering an award stay in central Florida. As a Platinum, I was upgraded to a true huge suite with balcony. Service is great (especially at the concierge lounge on the 12th floor)
Old Jan 6, 05, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Resort fees are not among the charges that are eligible for earning Starpoints and members must pay the resort fee on award rooms unless the resort is willing to waive them.
The whole concept of "resort fees" is pretty appalling (like what's next -- a maid fee?), but the idea of charging them on free reward stays is beyond the pale. Starwood should do the right thing and make the hotels waive these charges for reward guests.
Old Feb 9, 05, 12:48 pm
PRS

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold, HHonors Gold, Avis 1st
On the topic of fees, has any Platinum had success getting fees for the 3rd and 4th adults in a room waived? I am thinking of using two free weekend nights at the WDW Swan for a group of four adults but paying an extra $50US per night makes that much less attractive. Suggestions?
Old Feb 9, 05, 1:24 pm
jjj

I have 2 rooms booked for 3 of us. What are the chances of getting the resort fees charged to only one room at the Sheraton Maui. 8 nights * 2 rooms * 15 = 240 dollars for a free stay (or not so free). I can see getting nailed for one but two....
We wont have 2 cars, we wont need 2 papers, we wont make more local calls.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: