Check cashing privilege - NOT!

Old Nov 18, 04, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Check cashing privilege - NOT!

FYI for those staying at Starwoods overseas:

I just got off the phone with one of the concierge reps; I am a Starwood platinum and will be staying throughout Italy over the next two weeks in some of the best hotels Starwood has to offer over there (Rome Excelsior, Milan Palace, Venice Danielli). I was inquiring about check cashing privileges since I don't feel like carrying a wad of cash with me... anyways, forget about cashing checks in Italy (and I assume most of Europe)...

Milan Palace - no personal checks accepted
Venice Daniell - no personal checks accepted
Rome Excelsior - no personal checks accepted

Out of the three hotels, only one of them takes traveler's checks... appalling!

Makes me feel really special to be a platinum!
Old Nov 18, 04, 9:36 am

I know that this is going to sound silly, but why not just charge your stay with a credit card? (hey, even get the AmEx Starwood card and earn extra SPG points!)

Then, if you need cash for around town, just use your ATM card and get some euros.

I know that this doesn't address your check cashing issue, but you do have many alternatives.
Old Nov 18, 04, 10:38 am
Original Poster

I would never think of paying for my stay with anything other than my Starwood Amex...

The problem is getting cash out for misc. expenses. ATMs work, but try finding a <insert your US bank here> in Europe? You are stuck using a foreign ATM and getting hit over the head with fees by the ATM operator and your bank. You then resort to withdrawing large sums to avoid the repetitive fees and next thing you know you're walking through the streets of Naples with 1000 euros in your pocket

But I digress... traveller's checks is probably my best option at this point.

Thanks.
Old Nov 18, 04, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Admirals Club, Starwood PLT, Marriott GLD, Avis Preferred Select
Well.. I can tell you that in LHR t3, there is a set of 2 nice ATMs right outside the customs door to the right...that don't charge the fees. Though the others around them do charge fees.

I've never been charged a fee for converting to Pounds or a transaction fee at those 2 machines.

Also... most places won't take out-of-state checks... what makes you think that you'd be able to use a check in another country??? Granted I've always been able to cash checks at Starwood and Marriotts outside of my state, yet within the US.

Last edited by raydog9379; Nov 18, 04 at 11:51 am
Old Nov 18, 04, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Bonvoy Plat Life, Amtrak S+, HH, Delta
I've had problems with hotels outside the USA accepting personal checks under the check cashing policy. A few years ago I had an extended back and forth with the Plat Concierge and the front desk people at the Pulitzer in Amsterdam (they didn't even know there was such a policy) and ended up going to the ATM. It kinda sucks. However, I don't think I've ever been at a SPG hotel that refused to exchange travelers checks for me!
Old Nov 18, 04, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I would never expect to be able to write a personal check in another country.

Does strike me as strange that they won't take travelers' checks, though.
Old Nov 18, 04, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by geadnic
The problem is getting cash out for misc. expenses. ATMs work, but try finding a <insert your US bank here> in Europe? You are stuck using a foreign ATM and getting hit over the head with fees by the ATM operator and your bank.
You'd likely get screwed over more by the exchange rate at the hotel than the "foreign" ATM fee.
Old Nov 18, 04, 4:12 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
This is how the benefit (Platinum would be the same) reads in the Terms and Conditions of Membership:

4. Check-Cashing Privileges. Gold Preferred Guests are eligible for check-cashing privileges of $300 USD or equivalent in local currency per Eligible Stay at Starwood properties, subject to local banking and foreign exchange regulations and continued good standing as a Gold Preferred Guest member. As applicable, checks may be cashed in local currency only.

My guess is there is something in the local banking and foreign exchange laws that prevent it. Could be the same for traveler's checks.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Nov 18, 04, 4:48 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
If you can use the Travllers Check to pay for your stay, it means there is no problems for them to cash the check from a legal standpoint. It just means that they didnt want to for some reason.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: