Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Check-Ins: Same Day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2004, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Multiple Check-Ins: Same Day

Has anyone ever tried this and received stay credit for multiple (different) hotel check-ins on the same day?

Time is running out and am going for Platinum...

Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta, UA, SPG
Multiple stays same day

I haven't purposely attempted this but have done it by virtue of time-zone flying and have recieved credit for both hotel stays.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 7:01 am
Suspended

hmmmm....interesting. i hadn't thought of that.

so, check-in. check out. and check back in, same day.....BRILLIANT (if allowed).

william????
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:09 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
u might not get nite credit but might get stay credit i think since u checking out b4 1am...
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I might suggest that this kind of activity could trigger internal fraud bells, and while it is not per se prohibited (although maybe something obscure in the T&C keeps you from getting all the nights credit), if I was thinking about this, I'd want to have some evidence that it was actually me at the properties.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:17 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
It is definitely going to set some alarm bells off with SPG Member Accounts Integrity, especially if it were in the same city. If you had a day rate stay in one city waiting for a flight out to another city on the same day, I don't think they'd blink twice. Once maybe, but not twice.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Nov 5, 2004, 9:25 am

Would it necessarily be denied the OP though? While it's not something I could see too many people doing, if Starwood is getting the revenue from his multiple property mattress runs, should it matter?

Last edited by ConsultantFlyer; Nov 5, 2004 at 9:27 am
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by ConsultantFlyer
Would it necessarily be denied the OP though? While it's not something I could see too many people doing, if Starwood is getting the revenue from his multiple property mattress runs, should it matter?
Will it matter? Yes, if it is found out. You can't sleep in two places on the same night in the same city and occupy both rooms the way it is written into the Terms and Conditions of Membership.

Whether or not the OP could make a good case with SPG Member Accounts Integrity, I can't say, but what about other Platinums? Are you okay with us allowing this to happen? If so, someone could get Platinum for as little as $2,000 just making 25 reservations at Four Points and never actually staying. Yeah, we get the revenue, but you get another Platinum member competing for your upgrades.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What if you had a legitimate reason for doing this?

Say, for example, I have a 3-week stay at a Four Points and I'm paying a full points-qualifying rate. But once or twice during that 21 days, I have to make a side trip somewhere else. I do a one-nighter or two on full points-qualifying rates at other Starwoods in the midst of my 4pts stay.

Why shouldn't I get nights, stays, and points credit for all of that?

(I've done this exact thing with Marriotts and it has all posted fine. Only catch was that my Residence Inn stay was several months, so I had to check-out and check-in monthly to settle my bill and get my MR points to credit.)
Old Nov 5, 2004, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
What if you had a legitimate reason for doing this?

Say, for example, I have a 3-week stay at a Four Points and I'm paying a full points-qualifying rate. But once or twice during that 21 days, I have to make a side trip somewhere else. I do a one-nighter or two on full points-qualifying rates at other Starwoods in the midst of my 4pts stay.

Why shouldn't I get nights, stays, and points credit for all of that?

(I've done this exact thing with Marriotts and it has all posted fine. Only catch was that my Residence Inn stay was several months, so I had to check-out and check-in monthly to settle my bill and get my MR points to credit.)
Not sure I understand this...you're staying in one city for 21 days, but make a one-nighter to another one without checking out of the first? Why would you do that? If you checked out during your 21 one-nighter and checked in somewhere else, when you returned to your 21 night destination, you would have completed three stays instead of two. Doesn't make much sense to me anyway.

Regardless, you would have to make your case with SPG Member Accounts Integrity, not me.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Not sure I understand this...you're staying in one city for 21 days, but make a one-nighter to another one without checking out of the first? Why would you do that? If you checked out during your 21 one-nighter and checked in somewhere else, when you returned to your 21 night destination, you would have completed three stays instead of two. Doesn't make much sense to me anyway.
Here's exactly what I did. Like I said, it was Marriotts - not SPG - but the situation does make sense.

I received an assignment to downtown San Antonio for an undetermined number of weeks. I was given the direction to use hotels, not corporate apartments, because the gig could get canceled at any time. I knew there was a Residence Inn near downtown so I called them directly and explained the situation. They offered me a rate scale that varied by length of stay up to 1 month. I liked what they offered and moved in to my room with a crapload of luggage on my first day in S.A. The gig lasted a couple of months, and I paid them monthly to keep the transactions processed as "normal" hotel stays. I think this was more for their accounting and perhaps local tax law, but it also worked for my own company's accounting and - oh yeah - the rewards points posted normally as regular stays.

During that time in S.A., we'd do short trips to Dallas and Chicago for meetings. I'd pack a small bag - leaving most of my stuff in S.A. - and fly out for a night, usually staying at another Marriott while still checked in to the R.I.

Anyway, I didn't think it was an unusual thing to do. Everything posted normally. My motivations for staying in the first hotel had nothing to do with points - it was about convenience, as well as the rate scale I was offered for my stays by the property. (At the time, I actually knew very little about hotel points. It was several years ago...)

I never had to convince some "member account integrity" group that I wasn't doing something unusual - that would have been a quick way to ensure that I permanently checked out of all of their hotels. I could maybe understand the hotel wanting to confirm that my credit card hadn't been stolen, but other than that you'd think they would enjoy the extra business.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Here's exactly what I did. Like I said, it was Marriotts - not SPG - but the situation does make sense.

I received an assignment to downtown San Antonio for an undetermined number of weeks. I was given the direction to use hotels, not corporate apartments, because the gig could get canceled at any time. I knew there was a Residence Inn near downtown so I called them directly and explained the situation. They offered me a rate scale that varied by length of stay up to 1 month. I liked what they offered and moved in to my room with a crapload of luggage on my first day in S.A. The gig lasted a couple of months, and I paid them monthly to keep the transactions processed as "normal" hotel stays. I think this was more for their accounting and perhaps local tax law, but it also worked for my own company's accounting and - oh yeah - the rewards points posted normally as regular stays.

During that time in S.A., we'd do short trips to Dallas and Chicago for meetings. I'd pack a small bag - leaving most of my stuff in S.A. - and fly out for a night, usually staying at another Marriott while still checked in to the R.I.

Anyway, I didn't think it was an unusual thing to do. Everything posted normally. My motivations for staying in the first hotel had nothing to do with points - it was about convenience, as well as the rate scale I was offered for my stays by the property. (At the time, I actually knew very little about hotel points. It was several years ago...)

I never had to convince some "member account integrity" group that I wasn't doing something unusual - that would have been a quick way to ensure that I permanently checked out of all of their hotels. I could maybe understand the hotel wanting to confirm that my credit card hadn't been stolen, but other than that you'd think they would enjoy the extra business.
I don't think you'd have a hard time making a case for this being okay as you left one city and stayed in another one under some exceptional circumstances (read: negotiated extended stay rate), but like I said before, you would have to make your case with them - provided it was even discovered - not me.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat
Bumping

Any In Real Life results from these concurrent stay activities......Anyone?

I'll be doing a week in a Westin (one check-in on Sunday night, one check-out the following Friday), with a one night mid-week stay at a Luxury Collection property that's about 50 miles away. Curious to see if I'll get 2 Stays, and X Nights, or something else.

Thanks.

- dp
Old Feb 8, 2005, 1:43 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
William-- I have a stay coming up at the W Union Sq in April and I am considering getting a second room for my younger son at the Chelsea 4 points (so he won't wear out his welcome on older son's couch). I would be paying for both rooms (same city-2 hotels) and using my cc, but would accurately list the occupants-- husband and I @ W, son @ 4pts. This isn't against the rules is it? From your earlier post, it sounded as if *wood might think I'm trying something tricky.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
William-- I have a stay coming up at the W Union Sq in April and I am considering getting a second room for my younger son at the Chelsea 4 points (so he won't wear out his welcome on older son's couch). I would be paying for both rooms (same city-2 hotels) and using my cc, but would accurately list the occupants-- husband and I @ W, son @ 4pts. This isn't against the rules is it? From your earlier post, it sounded as if *wood might think I'm trying something tricky.
In order for you to be credited for more than one room for any given night, you need to be staying at the same hotel.

You can try to arrange for this to be otherwise directly with the property, but it will be impossible to fix afterwards if it doesn't get posted by the hotel. Program Services will deny the stay credit as a missing stay because you did not both stay and pay.

If it did go through without a hitch, you might still have to make a case with SPG Member Accounts Integrity to keep it.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.