Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion of Princeville Villas timeshare offers

Old Nov 1, 2004, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Today I received an offer from the Princeville Resort:

Dear RichardInSF,

An exclusive offer to Vacation on the Island of Kauai at the Award-Winning Princeville Resort for only $798.

As a valued SPG, .... your exclusive invitation includes:

Five Nights Accomodation at Princeville Resort

8,000 SPG Starpoints OR $100 Resort Certificate redeemable for Dining, Shopping, Golf, and Spa services within the Princeville Resort

PLUS $185 towards an Avis Rental car
I first thought this was a timeshare promotion, but it doesn't appear to be. The small print on the back says it's targeted, must call within 15 days of receiving the invitation to book (but can book subject to limited availability for up to 12 months in advance, with 60 days advance purchase), and it's subject to the resort fee ($16/day). There are other restrictions, including advance payment, but they seem reasonable.

This sounds like a real deal -- so I ask the gurus of FT: am I missing something here? If I take the offer, are the 8,000 starpoints better than the $100 resort certificate? Please share your wisdom!
Old Nov 1, 2004, 8:22 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Richard-

Could you let us know the link. Most of these targeted promotions are not available if they don't contact you, but I'm happily paying 48,000 Starpoints for a stay this summer. I'd cancel them in a heartbeat if I could get that deal!

Thanks - Steve
Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:13 pm

ditto above poster. would love to cancel my 54k res and sign up for this deal.

Ken in Phx
Old Nov 1, 2004, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, that kinda provides confirmation that it's a good deal, but I got this offer via snail mail -- I haven't signed up for SPG promotions via email. Furthermore, there is no promotion id or anything like that on the mailer, just my name, so there isn't much I can provide!
Old Nov 2, 2004, 1:06 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Per Room or Per Person?

Is this per person/based on double occupancy?

or per room/based on double occupancy?

If this is per room, what a great deal!
Old Nov 2, 2004, 1:34 am
Original Poster

I looked really, really hard for those very words: "per person double occupancy," but couldn't find them, so I believe it is per room. The flyer claims the average room rate is $400 a night and does specify limited availability in the fine print.

Any comments from anyone as to whether the SPG points are better than the credit? I am leaning towards the points if I take the offer.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 4:31 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

This sounds like a real deal -- so I ask the gurus of FT: am I missing something here? If I take the offer, are the 8,000 starpoints better than the $100 resort certificate? Please share your wisdom!
Remember that 8 000 points gives you 4 weekend nights (2 000/night) at Level 1 at Four Points hotels...IMHO it's by far better than the 100$ for meals...
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:33 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I received a similar exceptional offer for the Westin in Maui. I also looked for the timeshare catch, but it wasn't there. I didn't call, however, so you may get the pitch on the phone when you try to book it.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:29 am

I will be flying out to Maui on Friday for a similar promo with the Sheraton at Ka'anapali. 5 nights, $100 hotel credit and $185 Avis rental voucher, total is $789. No time share presentation required. It was also a snail mail promo. I'd jump on the Princeville in a heart beat.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:36 am
Original Poster

A small fly in the ointment....

I called and asked repeatedly if there would be a timeshare presentation.

Finally the person I called said, "I want to be honest with you. You will be asked when you arrive if you want to attend a [timeshare] presentation, but it will not be required."

So maybe room assignments depend on this? If one were assigned the worst room in the hotel (i.e., refused to attend the presentation) would this still be a good deal?

Edited to add: It is clearly targeted because when I told them my name (and no SPG info, not even my number), they fed my address back to me for "confirmation."

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 2, 2004 at 3:27 pm Reason: add a comment
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
so what're the digits?

is there a special number to call to book this (or to try, anyways)? does the snail mail mailing have a special code on it?

inquiring (and dreaming of hawaii) minds want to know
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Finally the person I called said, "I want to be honest with you. You will be asked when you arrive if you want to attend a [timeshare] presentation, but it will not be required."

So maybe room assignments depend on this? If one were assigned the worst room in the hotel (i.e., refused to attend the presentation) would this still be a good deal?
Just sign up, but do not show up because of "cough" recent illness.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 2:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Question: has anyone here been on a Starwood timeshare presentation? Are they super-high-pressure or are they a bit more tasteful than that? I've done both Marriott and Hilton timeshare tours and I felt that they were both within acceptable levels of tastefulness. I didn't like them, but they weren't super-high-pressure and I was able to get out the door within the promised amount of time.

This offer looks & smells exactly like the Marriott offer on Kauai. Theirs is about a hundred bucks cheaper and it's a great property, but I think Princeville is even nicer. They might be going off the deep end with the $400/nt. bit, but that deal is an exceptional one compared against any source (including Priceline) and even factoring in the 90-minute presentation.

As for the targeting, I can't speak for Starwood, but when I did the Marriott one I was not targeted. A friend of mine gave me his card and I called the property directly. They gave me the deal. Maybe try that and sort of act all excited about the idea of owning a piece of Hawaii...
Old Nov 2, 2004, 5:18 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat IDC, AA Plat, NW Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Can We have the phone # on the card to call and book and possibly a reference code if there is one? Thanks, the wifey will love ya!!
Old Nov 3, 2004, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
Question: has anyone here been on a Starwood timeshare presentation? Are they super-high-pressure or are they a bit more tasteful than that? I've done both Marriott and Hilton timeshare tours and I felt that they were both within acceptable levels of tastefulness. I didn't like them, but they weren't super-high-pressure and I was able to get out the door within the promised amount of time.
there are a few threads on this subject SEARCH for Westin Mission Hills or Kierland? in Arizona.

We sat through a presentation at Mission Hills (Palm Desert, CA). The salesperson was completely lame and sounded as if she was reading from a script. We almost felt sorry for her (maybe that was her shtick ) but of course declined to buy anything. So then they send you to the "closer" who will offer something like 60K points for $1599 and an "opportunity" to re-visit Mission Hills for another presentation. They sell it as 14 days at a resort of your choice - specifically referencing Aspen. Some deal -- as we all know it takes 24K points for one night some of the better properties including Aspen.

Anyway, to answer your question directly, it is very low key compared with others, no high pressure sales people, and well worth the discounted trip + bonus points. My parents sat through the same one a few months ago and had similar reviews.

BTW, I second the request for the tollfree offer number. I would love to get on the list for Princeville!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.