Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2005, 1:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Plato90s
The Sheraton has nicer rooms? They must have done some major renovations, because my last stay in 2003 was dingy as heck.
yes, the suite given to me at Sheraton was newly remodeled, very nicely done. I stayed at both Taipei Sheraton and Westin in December of 2004.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:55 am
SJC

Programs: UA 1K2MM
Originally Posted by Plato90s
The Sheraton has nicer rooms? They must have done some major renovations, because my last stay in 2003 was dingy as heck.
According to spg.com, the renovation costs $70 million with completion expected at the end of June, 05. The rooms and facilities were great on my last few stays. Most of the work currently takes place on the exterior of the hotel.

In my opinion Sheraton is a better hotel now the rooms have been renovated, compared to Westin, when you factor in the location (2 minute walk to MRT, 10 minute walk to Taipei Main Rail Station and a major department store, etc.).
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:43 pm

Programs: Accor Plat,SGP plat, Hyatt Dia, PC Plat, QF Plat, SG TPP, TG Gold
20 mins by cab to Taipei 101 ( non-peak time). The Westin is a much better hotel. I hope the renovation at the Sheraton is good because it use to be dark, dingy and definitely miserable. Cheers

Originally Posted by paul4471
I have one night in Taipei on 2 May and am thinking of staying at Sheraton. Anyone been there?

Is it close to Taipei 101 building - I'm keen to visit it.

I arrive at 8pm amd depart next morning at 11.20am will I realistically have time to go up to the observation deck - is it open.

Any suggestions on a good rate for a night at the Sheraton, besides the website?

Cheers, Paul
Old Apr 11, 2005, 12:49 am
yyy

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Here's my trip report from 2 weeks ago: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414612

If you just consider Sheraton Taipei on its own, it's a great hotel. Rooms are renovated. (The room I got at Westin was better than Sheraton's. Didn't get upgraded to a suite . On the other hand, Sheraton is often visted by government officials and guests. So I can imagine the suites to be nicer). Spacious lobby and good restaurants. Great front desk service. Easy access to MRT (only few steps away) and that line takes you directly to the city hall without changing cart. If you want the best value (w/internet), I would go with Westin.

Not sure about 101. Never made it to the observation deck.

Enjoy!

Last edited by yyy; Apr 11, 2005 at 12:53 am
Old Apr 26, 2005, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Anyone need room at S/O Sheraton TPE 29April

I have a reservation for 4900NTD at the Sheraton Taipei. I am staying at another hotel. The hotel is sold out. I have two days to cancel, if anyone needs to stay there let me know.
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:56 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Sheraton Taipei special offer with Double Starpoints

Received the following email this morning. Interestingly, have never been to Taipei...

Multi-Million Dollar Renovation and Double Starpoints at Sheraton Taipei

Sheraton Taipei Hotel has just completed a multi-million dollar renovation. Be one of the first to experience our warm hospitality with this exclusive welcome offer. For only TWD4600 per night, enjoy the luxury of a Superior Room, plus earn double Starpoints, one buffet breakfast and receive a memorial gift, when you stay from now through September 10, 2005.

Located at the northern tip of Taiwan, Taipei, the capital city, is very much a commercial hub complimented by its culinary fare and vibrant nightlife. With major train (MRT) lines running just in front of our hotel, all the attractions the city has to offer are right at your doorstep when you stay at the Sheraton Taipei Hotel.

Learn more about Sheraton Taipei Hotel

To book this special offer, simply click on this link, or call the hotel direct on +886 2 23215511 and quote rate plan NEWLOOK.

*Terms & Conditions

Offer is only valid at the Sheraton Taipei, when quoting rate plan NEWLOOK. Advance reservations required.
Offer is valid for stays booked and consumed between 1 July and 10 September 2005. Offer includes one buffet breakfast per day in the Kitchen 12 Restaurant, and one commemorative gift per stay. A stay is defined as one or more consecutive nights paying the promotional rate that are spent in the same hotel regardless of the number of check-in or check-outs that occur. Double Starpoint bonus valid for stays consumed at this promotional rate. Guest must be an active member of Starwood Preferred Guest to earn Starpoints for the stay. The double Starpoints will be credited within 30 days of the stay posting to the member's account. Only the member's two base Starpoints for the room rate will be doubled. Additional bonuses earned, including but not limited to elite status bonus or online booking bonuses will not be doubled. All promotions associated with Starwood Preferred Guest are subject to the general terms and conditions of the Starwood Preferred Guest program, which are found at www.spg.com. Basic room rate includes 10% service charge, but does not include additional per room per night charges that may be imposed or state/local taxes. Rates are per room, per night, based on single/double occupancy and availability. A limited number of rooms may be available at these rates and additional restrictions and blackout dates may apply. Void where prohibited by law. Offer not applicable to groups or with other special offers or promotions. (C) 2005 Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc

Last edited by QF WP; Oct 9, 2005 at 5:22 am
Old Jul 17, 2005, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
That's a fantastic rate. Don't forget to try its refreshing sauna.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:30 pm

Sheraton Taipei -- Extreme Makeover: Hotel Edition

Actually, this thread title may be misleading because in fact I do not know what the interior of this hotel looked like prior to its renovation.

The previous time I visited Taipei I stayed at both the Grand Hyatt and Westin. For my overnight stay 2 weeks ago I decided to stay at the Sheraton on the strength of the price tag of its recent renovation. US $60 million goes a long way in an Asian property, even when the property is located in one of the more expensive Asian cities.

The Sheraton is now my hotel of choice in Taipei.

The lobby is low-ceilinged, so it does not make much of an impression, but it is certainly modern, sleek and comfortable enough.

I checked in around 8 p.m., and had been upgraded to a spacious and stylish suite on the 8th floor. There was a plate of fruit waiting for me in the room.

The suite came with one-and-a half baths, both done up in gray granite, with a shared wall of glass or ceramic glazed to look like a Chinese scroll painting. A nice touch. The main bathroom had a glassed-off compartment for the tub and separate shower, with the large shower area being just a raised slab of granite with the shower fixtures attached to the wall (think Sheraton Hong Kong or Hyatt Mainz). The toiletries were L'Occitane, the same brand used in most Four Seasons hotels.

There were two types of robe offered: the standard, thick terry robe and a lightweight, flannel, kimono-style robe. Turndown had already been performed, so cotton mats had been laid down by the side of the bed and the thickest slippers I'd ever seen had been placed still in their plastic wrap on the mats. I collect slippers from hotels, so naturally I took these specimen-quality slippers home.

The Club Lounge was still open when I went up for a look and was serving petit fours, which were extremely tasty. I asked for decaf coffee, and received a pot of hot water and Sanka grounds, so I sent this back and asked for green tea instead. Thankfully the tea was prepared in the usual way.

The Club Lounge is quite large and very attractively decorated with modern furnishings and appointments. The Lounge offers complimentary Internet access via three computer terminals.

I did not experience the Lounge's real appeal, however, until the next morning, when I took breakfast there. It was the best lounge breakfast I'd ever had -- ever. While the buffet was not quite as extensive as the buffet offered by the Executive Club in the Westin Taipei (which has the space to offer a complete breakfast buffet since the Club occupies a former restaurant), it was still a large buffet and the presentation and qualifty of the selections here were, IMO, far superior. Unfortunately I did not have much time to eat and knew that I'd be eating three more times on my plane ride home, so I only grabbed the basics (very tasty) and passed up the steamed sea bass in ginger sauce (no doubt delicious), among other hot entrees.

In addition to the usual cocktail hour, the Lounge also offers afternoon tea service. I shall make a point of checking in early enough to enjoy this amenity the next time I stay here.

Since I only travelled from the airport to the hotel and back again, I do not know if this hotel is near an MRT station. I recall reading reviews that suggested this hotel is not particularly well located. Ah well, I guess this hotel would have too much going for it were it perfectly situated as well.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:30 pm
SJC

Programs: UA 1K2MM
Originally Posted by StarpointsSlave
Since I only travelled from the airport to the hotel and back again, I do not know if this hotel is near an MRT station. I recall reading reviews that suggested this hotel is not particularly well located. Ah well, I guess this hotel would have too much going for it were it perfectly situated as well.
Good Report.

The Sheraton-Taipei is at a good location, IMHO. There is a MRT station within about 100 yards from the front door to the right - Jing An Temple Station. The Taipei Main Rail Station is about 10 minutes walk to the left.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1k, UA MM, MB Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat (ha ha), Hertz Pres, etc.
Originally Posted by StarpointsSlave
The toiletries were L'Occitane, the same brand used in most Four Seasons hotels.
And in the Continental aircraft lav in coach on my most recent flight!
Old Jan 15, 2006, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, IC AMB, AXP
Nice report! I'll have to check out that Sheraton sometime.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 7:54 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Sheraton Taipei - Trip Report

Just got back from a stay at the Sheraton in Taipei. This is a newly renovated hotel formerly known as the Sheraton Lai Lai. I stayed using points and had a note that I would be checking in early.

I got to the hotel using a car service which was about 1300. Normally you can get it for around 1000NT if you have friends that have a local person they use.

The lobby is nice and new, the air con in the lobby and halls is turned on very low and its hot and humid around the building. The check in took a little longer than expected. They had the plat amenity at check in. They also told me that I was upgraded to a suite and had access to the executive lounge.

The room was very nicely decorated. It was a suite with a separate sitting room. There was also a guest washroom. Both the main bedroom and the sitting room have a LCD tv. Sadly without HD the picture looks worse than a CRT tv. There was also a large fruit bowl with exotic fruits like dragon fruit, mangos and different types of pears. They also had a chinese teapot with customary Taiwanese snacks.

The main bedroom has a nice washroom with a separate shower and deep tub. There is a large glass window that allows you to see the TV from the tub and shower. The toilet has a nice Japanese Toto seat that acts a bidet and has a toilet seat warmer.

The best thing of all was the exexcutive lounge. This is the nicest executive lounge I have ever been to in the Starwood family. It's open from 7AM to 11PM. From 7 to 10.30Am they have a full breakfast. The breakfast consistest of a buffet that includes Chinese, Japanese and American style breakfast. They also have someone making omellettes. It was just the fanciest lounge I have ever seen. Its full of wait staff that will seat you and pick up after you. They also have free internet access in that lounge.

The hotel has a very very popular buffet that is always packed. I made the mistake of trying it. Its about 40 bucks USD a head and its extremely mediocre. The buffet at the Grand Hyatt is far better. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Thumbs up Sheraton Taipei

I had only been in this hotel once before it's remodeling about a few years back and man was it in some disarray then. Talk about a place in need of serious renovations. Strange enough I was there before the Kitchen 12 was to open and left on the day of its grand opening plus everything else was under construction and they had credited my Starwood account with some points because of the inconvenince.

A few days ago I was back at the hotel with the Mrs. Talk about a grand hotel. Everything looked new, welcoming hotel staff, nice rooms, good TV system, electronic everything. This old hotel has suddenly become new again!

Low points: How is it that I still need to pay for internet? Tayih Landis near Kaoshuing had free Internet as did Evergreen in Taichung.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:48 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, HH Blue, SPG PLatinum
Internet Charge

I guess to have to trade that off for the free-flow Veuve Cliquot Champagne in the Executive Lounge (incl for bfast if so inclined) and free wireless internet in the same lounge.

QUOTE=mjcewl1284]I had only been in this hotel once before it's remodeling about a few years back and man was it in some disarray then. Talk about a place in need of serious renovations. Strange enough I was there before the Kitchen 12 was to open and left on the day of its grand opening plus everything else was under construction and they had credited my Starwood account with some points because of the inconvenince.

A few days ago I was back at the hotel with the Mrs. Talk about a grand hotel. Everything looked new, welcoming hotel staff, nice rooms, good TV system, electronic everything. This old hotel has suddenly become new again!

Low points: How is it that I still need to pay for internet? Tayih Landis near Kaoshuing had free Internet as did Evergreen in Taichung.[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 30, 2006, 4:42 pm

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
This is now my hotel of choice in Taipei, I had an identical experience to the OP and would like to emphasize that the lounge is not to be missed. During afternoon hors d'oeuvres the omelet station becomes a pasta station where one can choose red or white sauce and mix-ins. All was fresh and tasty. I would not however rely on lounge or FD staff for restaurant recommendations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.