Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:25 pm

Thinking of staying here for two nights in Feb, has anyone done the walk from Taipei Station to the hotel? Looking on google maps it doesn't seem bad at all, ~700 meters or so.

Also, how is this location for getting around the city? My main purpose will be the food (lu rou fan, DTF, night markets, etc...) and a few of the touristy things (101, Elephant Mountain).
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by GiantCow
Thinking of staying here for two nights in Feb, has anyone done the walk from Taipei Station to the hotel? Looking on google maps it doesn't seem bad at all, ~700 meters or so.

Also, how is this location for getting around the city? My main purpose will be the food (lu rou fan, DTF, night markets, etc...) and a few of the touristy things (101, Elephant Mountain).
I have walked to this hotel from Taipei Main Station, but would recommend taking the Blue Line to the Shandao Temple station. It is literally next door to the hotel. The road is not always even so it is not easy to wheel luggage. Also when you get to the Shandao Temple station, the Sheraton does not have an escalator up so you have to take the stairs. You can take the other exit and walk across the street if you have something heavy.

As far as location goes, you could not ask for much of a better location. You are a few stops from all of the lines and one stop from Taipei Main Station. Even though Taipei 101 is labeled on the Red Line, you can take the Blue Line to the Taipei City Hall Station and walk over. The W Hotel is location at that location and is more of the heart of downtown. Hotel Proverbs (very close to a DTF location, but the much busier and larger one is at Taipei 101) is also located well in addition to the Westin. The Alofts are a bit farther (Aloft Beitou is out there) but have been built within the last 2 years so are pretty nice to stay in. They are more the route to save a few $$$$ or points.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not walk from Taipei Main to the Sheraton either (and if you are taking the MRT from TPE Airport, there is also some distance between that station and the Taipei Main Station).

Location-wise, I think the W and the Le Meridien are in the middle of the "hot tourist/shopping area" that has been developed the last 20 years. The Sheraton is in an older part of the city with lots of government agencies - and it is sort of between the hot areas. You can find food everywhere in Taiwan and the Taipei Metro is great (just does not run 24 hours except for New Years Eve). There is also a TPE Airport Metro + Taipei Metro combo pass: https://www.tymetro.com.tw/ticket/
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Has anybody been to this property and emailed the front desk ahead of time and have secured a confirmed suite upgrade without using a SNA?

Plat member here and there is a property in Taiwan which consistently upgrades me to a suite ahead of check in (after emailing them after I make a reservation (points or revenue). I haven't tried this property but getting a suite is the #1 thing on my list.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Xu Guan
I have walked to this hotel from Taipei Main Station, but would recommend taking the Blue Line to the Shandao Temple station. It is literally next door to the hotel. The road is not always even so it is not easy to wheel luggage. Also when you get to the Shandao Temple station, the Sheraton does not have an escalator up so you have to take the stairs. You can take the other exit and walk across the street if you have something heavy.

As far as location goes, you could not ask for much of a better location. You are a few stops from all of the lines and one stop from Taipei Main Station. Even though Taipei 101 is labeled on the Red Line, you can take the Blue Line to the Taipei City Hall Station and walk over. The W Hotel is location at that location and is more of the heart of downtown. Hotel Proverbs (very close to a DTF location, but the much busier and larger one is at Taipei 101) is also located well in addition to the Westin. The Alofts are a bit farther (Aloft Beitou is out there) but have been built within the last 2 years so are pretty nice to stay in. They are more the route to save a few $$$$ or points.
Originally Posted by username
I would not walk from Taipei Main to the Sheraton either (and if you are taking the MRT from TPE Airport, there is also some distance between that station and the Taipei Main Station).

Location-wise, I think the W and the Le Meridien are in the middle of the "hot tourist/shopping area" that has been developed the last 20 years. The Sheraton is in an older part of the city with lots of government agencies - and it is sort of between the hot areas. You can find food everywhere in Taiwan and the Taipei Metro is great (just does not run 24 hours except for New Years Eve). There is also a TPE Airport Metro + Taipei Metro combo pass: https://www.tymetro.com.tw/ticket/
Appreciate the info.

I had picked the Sheraton since it was near all the main MRT lines and also didn't mind saving some cash/spg points but looking at some of the other hotels makes me want to splurge a little and go with the Le Meridien. Haha, I guess I have some time before I have to finalize my choices.,,
Old Dec 1, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Has anybody been to this property and emailed the front desk ahead of time and have secured a confirmed suite upgrade without using a SNA?

Plat member here and there is a property in Taiwan which consistently upgrades me to a suite ahead of check in (after emailing them after I make a reservation (points or revenue). I haven't tried this property but getting a suite is the #1 thing on my list.
Over 40 stays in past decade, I think only once was I not upgraded to a suite. Never made any special request.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Even if they don't pre-upgrade you, just ask again at check in and they will try their best to find a suite for you!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Appreciate the info.

I had picked the Sheraton since it was near all the main MRT lines and also didn't mind saving some cash/spg points but looking at some of the other hotels makes me want to splurge a little and go with the Le Meridien. Haha, I guess I have some time before I have to finalize my choices.,,
ok I'm the odd one out... I always walk from Taipei station to the Sheraton, particularly during rush hour where the blue line is busy...

If you really want to take a walk, the tip is exit the Taipei Station via exit M8 (there's escalator at M8) and then walk east... Road is a bit rough but at least you can pull your luggage all along... If you take the blue line to Shandao Temple and don't want to carry the luggage upstairs, exit 1 should be your best choice...
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by sscywong
ok I'm the odd one out... I always walk from Taipei station to the Sheraton, particularly during rush hour where the blue line is busy...
I've done the same walk many times and the Blue Line could very well take longer than walking depending on the train timing - the question is whether OP wants to do the walk hauling bags.

Originally Posted by sscywong
If you really want to take a walk, the tip is exit the Taipei Station via exit M8 (there's escalator at M8) and then walk east... Road is a bit rough but at least you can pull your luggage all along... If you take the blue line to Shandao Temple and don't want to carry the luggage upstairs, exit 1 should be your best choice...
I'd recommend the elevator at exit 3 if OP has heavy and/or a lot of bags. There are up escalators at both exit 1 and exit 3, and both are across one street from the Sheraton, but both have stairs from the top of the elevator to street level.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:51 pm

I just have one suitcase. The wheels work pretty well so I'm planning on walking over as long as the weather's fine and I'm not too tired from the flight.

Otherwise I can always get a taxi.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:11 pm

It's not that bad a walk. But if you are rushing take the line metro line beside the hotel.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by ccyao
It's not that bad a walk. But if you are rushing take the line metro line beside the hotel.
As I mentioned before, taking MRT may not save time - it's literally a 6-7 min walk from Taipei Main Station exit M8 over to the Sheraton.

Taxi may be worthwhile for OP if arriving to Taipei Main Station via Tayouan Airport MRT since there is a taxi rank relatively close to the exit from the airport line. This will save a lot of walking as it's pretty much as far from the Taoyuan Airport MRT platform at Taipei Main Station to the M8 / Blue LIne platform as it is from M8 to the Sheraton.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Just finished a stay at the Taipei Sheraton. We took the airport train to Taipei Main Station and walked to the Blue Line. That is quite a walk even with rolling luggage, but we had the Airport Return/48-Metro card, so we opted for the metro. Elevator and escalator at Shandao temple are at Exit 3. Quick walk across the street, and Sheraton is right there.

Platinum and was upgrade to a Director room (mini-suite). It was very nice. Lounge was nice, but didn't have the breakfast as we opted for the full buffet breakfast which was excellent. Lots of variety and a large seating area, so not too crowded. We did notice lots of people (I think locals) partaking of the lunch and evening buffets. The restaurant was packed! Lounge for tea time only, and staff was helpful, attentive and friendly.

Sheraton is centrally located, so we had no problem getting around. We thought about the Marriott north of town, which is newer, but it really is far from everything we wanted to do. Although, we are interested in returning to Taipei and trying there or maybe the Courtyard Marriott farther down the Blue Line. Westin would be a possibility too, which isn't far from the Sheraton.

For the return to the Airport train, we opted for a taxi to avoid the long hauling of bags from the Blue line to the airport train. Fare was 105NT$. Worth it to not make the long transfer.

I'd definitely stay at the Sheraton Taipei again.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T

I was staying at Sheraton Grand Taipei last Friday. If you have luggage I think better to take taxi. The cost is around TWD100 (day time, night time may be more).. Walking is doable. My friend was walking from Taipei Main Station and he was fine.

Please take note that the Taoyuan MRT Taipei Main Station is actually on the opposite of the actual main station. I am not sure if there is underground to connect the 2. I decided to just grab a taxi as I have luggage.

As someone mentioned, Shandao Temple station is actually behind the hotel, short 3-5 min walk, depending how fast you walk. There is side door infront of the restaurant (behind the parking lift) that bring you to parking area. Turn left and left again and you will see the station exit 2. Google Map will tell you that.

The hotel is a stop away to Taipei Main Station on Blue lane. You can take this lane also to Ximen Ding (Xi Men station is after Taipei Main Station). Zhong Xiao is one of the "major" street hence many buses will pass the area. Again use google map, it will tell you which bus to take.

It looks quite busy hotel at the lobby. I have 2 other complains, the curtain in the room is too thin, and hence the sun light really penetrate to the room. also the aircon can only be a heater during winter time. Lucky, you can open the window a bit for "fresh" air.

Other than that, not much complain for the price.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by osotoc
Just finished a stay at the Taipei Sheraton. We took the airport train to Taipei Main Station and walked to the Blue Line. That is quite a walk even with rolling luggage, but we had the Airport Return/48-Metro card, so we opted for the metro. Elevator and escalator at Shandao temple are at Exit 3. Quick walk across the street, and Sheraton is right there.

Platinum and was upgrade to a Director room (mini-suite). It was very nice. Lounge was nice, but didn't have the breakfast as we opted for the full buffet breakfast which was excellent. Lots of variety and a large seating area, so not too crowded. We did notice lots of people (I think locals) partaking of the lunch and evening buffets. The restaurant was packed! Lounge for tea time only, and staff was helpful, attentive and friendly.

Sheraton is centrally located, so we had no problem getting around. We thought about the Marriott north of town, which is newer, but it really is far from everything we wanted to do. Although, we are interested in returning to Taipei and trying there or maybe the Courtyard Marriott farther down the Blue Line. Westin would be a possibility too, which isn't far from the Sheraton.

For the return to the Airport train, we opted for a taxi to avoid the long hauling of bags from the Blue line to the airport train. Fare was 105NT$. Worth it to not make the long transfer.

I'd definitely stay at the Sheraton Taipei again.
fully agree with review...... if you have lugagge that TWD 100 is worthed to be spent.

We may bump into each other as I was there on 12-13 Jan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.