Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do Plats expect free breakfast?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2004, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Why do Plats expect free breakfast?

I've seen in several posts where some plats will express dismay and frustration when they do not receive free breakfast, or reply in threads with shock and amazement when they see other plats have not received free breakfast at a hotel. Most recent example (although there are many) was in the Westin Palace Madrid thread where a poster was questioning why the breakfast buffet in the domed atrium was not comp for plats.

Is this a published or unpublished, but standard, benefit for platinums that I was unaware of? I'm a 100+ night a year plat for the past three years and can count the number of times I've gotten a comped breakfast on one hand. I've read that this is sometimes offered when a club lounge is closed on the weekends, but I rarely stay at hotels with club lounges.

So what's the deal? Should I be asking for my free breakfast coupons or do I normally stay at hotels that are in the minority with this policy?

Edited to change tone a bit.

Last edited by boolean64; Oct 13, 2004 at 10:19 am
Old Oct 13, 2004, 9:15 am

In hotels with "Club Lounges" (most notably Sheraton), breakfast is served in those lounges. More often than not, PLAT members have automatic access to these lounges. Some hotels without club lounges offer breakfast coupons for PLAt members (e.g. Sheraton Cerritos). While the breakfasts are not (AFAIK) a published, system-wide PLAT benefit, I will admit to being one of the people asking about it at check-in. I do not demand it, mind you, but it never hurts to ask.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 9:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, MR SLVR, HH GLD, etc.
Originally Posted by boolean64
So what's the deal? Should I be demanding my free breakfast coupons or do I normally stay at hotels that are in the minority with this policy?
So in response to your question - I suppose that you should be asking, as blue2002pointed out, but it probably depends on how often you frequent their hotel. I’ve gotten to the point at a few properties where some of the managers and staff recognize me when I check in, but I’ve never thought to ask for a comped meal. This is mostly due to the fact that all of the SPG hotels in the area that I am staying (like, Ft Lauderdale, for example), none of which have a club lounge. Perhaps I should start asking too. Thanks for the input! ^
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:03 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
I've seen in several posts where some plats will express dismay and frustration when they do not receive free breakfast, or reply in threads with shock and amazement when they see other plats have not received free breakfast at a hotel. Most recent example was in the Westin Palace Madrid thread where a poster was questioning why the breakfast buffet in the domed atrium was not comp for plats.

Is this a published or unpublished, but standard, benefit for platinums that I was unaware of? I'm a 100+ night a year plat for the past three years and can count the number of times I've gotten a comped breakfast on one hand...and I've probably only stayed at a hotel with a club or executive lounge 15 or so times on top of that.

So what's the deal? Should I be demanding my free breakfast coupons or do I normally stay at hotels that are in the minority with this policy?

Since I'm the one that asked about the Westin Madrid....I just asked because at some international Starwood's, they give platinums free breakfast coupons when you check in. Since the Sheraton's have club lounges, as well as some of the newer Westin's in the U.S., Starwood has made a push for the nice intl. hotels to offer the same. Since most do not have club lounges (and that's what I mean by free breakfast...just the muffins, fruit...etc. at the lounge), I've been to a few places that just give coupons for free breakfast.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by moulder3
Since most do not have club lounges (and that's what I mean by free breakfast...just the muffins, fruit...etc. at the lounge), I've been to a few places that just give coupons for free breakfast.
Give without asking . . . or did you specifically have to request a coupon?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:23 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kdog311
Give without asking . . . or did you specifically have to request a coupon?
Given to you without asking when you check in. The Sheraton (now a 4 points) on Cape Cod used to do this (just one example). It was a great perk (especially since the hotel was NOT of Sheraton quality), but now that they've been bumped down to 4 points, they no longer offer it.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't expect free breakfast as it's not a stated benefit of SPG Platinum status.

But I do often get offered free breakfast as a Platinum. Some of the properties where I've been handed comp breakfast coupons (usually that have "Platinum" printed right on them) in the past are:

Sheraton Manhattan (maybe the New York Towers too?)
Sheraton Anaheim, California
Sheraton Suites Fairplex Pomona, California
Sheraton North Houston at Intercontinental Airport
Four Points LAX

...and many others (I'm just drawing blanks right now )

Often they are given without asking. Just part of the hotel's own recognition policy.

I'm not a big breakfast person so I usually decline them or just don't use them. But if I think I might want breakfast and it hasn't already been offered at check-in, I usually ask if that might be a Platinum benefit and I'm often given free breakfast chits (sometimes after they "dig around" for some) even though it may not even be a "regular" policy at that hotel.

And as already mentioned, if the property has a Club Lounge that serves breakfast, I'm offered that as part of the standard upgrade policy.

I think one of the reasons you see folks here in the Starwood forum complain about not getting breakfast, isn't that they think they are entitled to it. It's because they are (sometimes without outright stating it) actually comparing Starwood's lack of this benefit, to Hilton HHonors guaranteed free breakfast policy for their Golds and Diamonds.

Last edited by PremEx; Oct 13, 2004 at 12:54 pm
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only two European hotels I have been to that have free breakfast are Moscow and Munich.

No in Venice, Florence, Rome, London, Paris. The cost of breakfast in these hotels tends to be $50+.

I usually ask if my rate/award includes breakfast.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:50 pm
Suspended

when i read the title of your thread, the first answer i thought of was: "because we get hungry."
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:00 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by slawecki
The only two European hotels I have been to that have free breakfast are Moscow and Munich.

No in Venice, Florence, Rome, London, Paris. The cost of breakfast in these hotels tends to be $50+.
Nor in Athens.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by moulder3
Given to you without asking when you check in...
Thanks moulder3!
Do any Westins (that you know of) offer a free breakfast? Or is this simply a Sheraton response to a particular property not having a club lounge?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Actually, in the "before time" of Westin Gold - we did get a free continental breakfast (in the dining room or room service), which was later changed to an $8 daily credit. So those of us coming from that program had become accustomed to same.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 1:28 am

Doesn't matter to me...

...I never wake up early enough for breakfast anyways...
Old Oct 14, 2004, 6:24 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
I've seen in several posts where some plats will express dismay and frustration when they do not receive free breakfast, or reply in threads with shock and amazement when they see other plats have not received free breakfast at a hotel. Most recent example (although there are many) was in the Westin Palace Madrid thread where a poster was questioning why the breakfast buffet in the domed atrium was not comp for plats.

Is this a published or unpublished, but standard, benefit for platinums that I was unaware of? I'm a 100+ night a year plat for the past three years and can count the number of times I've gotten a comped breakfast on one hand. I've read that this is sometimes offered when a club lounge is closed on the weekends, but I rarely stay at hotels with club lounges.

So what's the deal? Should I be asking for my free breakfast coupons or do I normally stay at hotels that are in the minority with this policy?

Edited to change tone a bit.
Because Hilton gives it to their Diamond (and maybe Gold) members???

More seriously, IMHO this is the biggest flaw in the SPG program.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 6:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I certainly don't expect it after getting corrected on this when I first became Platinum (comped) last year. I intended to stay more at starwood properties but SARS intervened last year and I ended up travelling to places where starwoods were not available.

Once the no breakfast in most places that I travel became clear, and where starwood is available, I now mostly stay at Hiltons where I always get my breakfast (like this AM) and Holiday Inn properties where I am almost 100% sure I get my breakfast, all in properties with rooms/service that are comparable to starwoods and cheaper too.

I do appreciate the benefit at Starwoods when I get it though--like St. Regis in Shanghai!--top notch all around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.