Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Centre Toronto or Westin Harbour Castle?

Sheraton Centre Toronto or Westin Harbour Castle?

Old May 14, 2003, 4:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Has the Westin Harbor Castle upgraded their rooms to the Heavenly Bed yet? Last time I was there last year some time they hadn't done it and I was told by someone at the front desk that they had no plans to. I couldn't believe it. I think this is a tired hotel much in need of the upgrades to "Modern Luxury." Great location on the lake, but that's about the nicest thing I can say about it.

I think Toronto is a weak Starwood city, personally, with no great options. That's why I drift away from SPG in this city and stay at the Four Seasons.
Old May 14, 2003, 4:42 pm

I just found the same rate/package for our dates at the Westin Harbour Castle, so I went ahead and made a reservation. Now I've got to cancel two reservations. The lack of Heavenly beds at the Westin will likely affect my decision. And now AZ's review of the Westin as looking "tired"! No consistency among the reviews for both locations (Sheraton Centre and Westin Harbour Castle).
Old May 14, 2003, 6:47 pm
T3

I stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle in March and, at that time, there were no heavenly beds. Then again, the last time I was at the Sheraton Centre (last fall) they didn't have them either. If you're looking for a good location, I'd pick the Sheraton Centre. If the weather is good, you can walk to all the main attractions in the downtown area; from the Harbour Castle you'd almost have to use their shuttle. If the weather turns bad, the Sheraton Centre is connected underground to all the major buildings and stores in the downtown area; you can walk and shop 'till you drop. Because you're so centrally located you also have a much larger choice of restaurants. At the Harbour Castle you either eat at the hotel or walk a little way down Queen's Quay for some 5 or 6 other choices. If you don't have a car, the Westin Prince is a little out of the way. In summary, I'd pick the Sheraton Centre.
Old May 14, 2003, 7:21 pm

Having stayed at the 3 SW properties in question, I would definitely choose the Sheraton Centre. My SW elite status has always been recognized, both as a former Gold and currently as a Plat. As a Gold I was always upgraded to a Club Floor room with Lounge access. Now as a Plat the room upgrade is to a suite with Lounge access. This occurs even on multiple night PL stays.
BTW, the Lounge is one of the better (and busier) ones that I've seen. Service and selection is great, and I for one, don't begrudge the hard working staff a token gratuity.
Old May 16, 2003, 5:46 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
The assertion that The Westin Harbour Castle has no Heavenly Beds is simply erroneous. Several floors have been outfitted with the new beds and they should be 100% complete with the rest by October of this year.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old May 17, 2003, 9:35 am
Commander Catcop

While I have not stayed at the Sheraton, between the two... I would choose the Westin Harbor Castle.

The Sheraton as the fine Mr. Lion says looks tired and old. Plus everytime I was there there were a bunch of "more than tipsy" people staggering around the lobby (there is a big sports bar in the lobby.) The staff is also not that friendly. Which brings up the question: Does the Sheraton promise cover properties in Canada? If yes i'm tempted to stay here and see what happens.

I have been staying at the Westin Harbor Castle for over seven years. It's tradition for me to stay here every fall when I go see a programme called "The Red Green Show." (See OMNI for threads on this very funny comedy show.) I've always gotten a harbor view room (Request it in my reservation or find it on the SPG.com website.) Staff always very helpful and you can get to downtown pretty easily with a short walk to the streetcar to the very clean Toronot subway.

The hotel did not have the Heavenly beds when I stayed there last October. I said "whatever, I am staying here for the staff not the beds." The bed I slept in was comfortable enough.

If they are there when I come back this year fine. If not then I can sleep on just about anything.

I have not stayed at the other Westin but I may try it sometime.

Old May 17, 2003, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
On a recent stay at the Sheraton Centre, did NOT find it to be "tired and old." Staff very good. Location better (in my opinion) than the Westin Harbour Castle.

YMMV.

Kathy
Old May 17, 2003, 9:02 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
During my stay in July, I was very pleased with the staff. They're some of the best I've seen in the SPG system.
Old May 19, 2003, 9:13 am

FYI for those interested in staying at the Westin Harbor Castle in the near future without a car: The shuttle service (into downtown) has been discontinued at this time until further notice.
Old May 19, 2003, 9:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:
The assertion that The Westin Harbour Castle has no Heavenly Beds is simply erroneous. Several floors have been outfitted with the new beds and they should be 100% complete with the rest by October of this year.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
</font>
Well this is certainly good news, as in my experience it will help this hotel a great deal. Hopefully by now the front desk staff has changed their "We do not have Heavenly Beds and have no plans to get them" to "Mr. SPG Member, let me see if I can get you a room that has one."

William, are all Westin hotels required to have Heavenly Beds in place by a particular point in time?
Old May 19, 2003, 11:34 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AZ Travels the World:
Well this is certainly good news, as in my experience it will help this hotel a great deal. Hopefully by now the front desk staff has changed their "We do not have Heavenly Beds and have no plans to get them" to "Mr. SPG Member, let me see if I can get you a room that has one."

William, are all Westin hotels required to have Heavenly Beds in place by a particular point in time?
</font>
Corporate-owned, joint venture, and corporate managed, yes. For franchisees, it is strongly suggested that they adopt one version or another when they begin replacing their beds.

That's my understanding, at least.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old May 25, 2003, 9:36 am

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
Toronto deals?

All hotels in Toronto are suffering and many are offering great deals. But I cannot find one for the Sheraton Centre for about 10 days from now. I am being quoted $159 on the website which is out of this market for now. HELP.
Old May 25, 2003, 2:50 pm

Programs: AC.E, SPG.P, FPC.Plt, HH.G
The Westin Harbour Castle is offering a $99 CDN /night "ask only" rate. I believe the rate is known as a "Canada (or I) Loves Toronto" which also include free hotel breakfast buffet at The Mizen.
Old May 25, 2003, 4:30 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

YYZ_PPT - do you know whether this rate is still available?

I stayed at the Sheraton Centre for $99 back in May on this rate and it's only good for Toronto resident. Would be great if it still is.
Old May 26, 2003, 4:45 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
I stayed on the same rate and am not a TO resident. BTW, the DT & airport Hiltons are offering a $79 CAD rate through tonight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.