Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Centre Toronto or Westin Harbour Castle?

Sheraton Centre Toronto or Westin Harbour Castle?

Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Looking to head to one of these properties or On the Falls Niagra in a couple weeks and not leave the hotel or stay very close by. Visit spa, relax, eat well, etc. any recommendations?
Certainly not the Westin. Toronto Sheraton or SOTF, although they are two entirely different experiences.

Cheers,
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:06 am

Looking for some input from the group.

Staying in Toronto for 5-6 days in June with family in two rooms. What matters to me.
Full breakfast for PLT
Club lounge with drinks
connecting rooms
local activities for family with easy access, walking/tram etc.

I will be at the Canadian forces college up by the 401 so I will not be in the central business district.

Any nice things near the Westin Prince that should make me consider that hotel over one of the ones in downtown?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:27 am

...deleted...
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2

Any nice things near the Westin Prince that should make me consider that hotel over one of the ones in downtown?

IMO, it's the best hotel in the area that is SPG. I'd take the Westin Prince in a heartbeat over the Westin Harbour Castle or the Sheraton in Toronto.

Best = cleanest, more modern.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
IMO, it's the best hotel in the area that is SPG. I'd take the Westin Prince in a heartbeat over the Westin Harbour Castle or the Sheraton in Toronto.

Is there anything around it for family to easily enjoy compared to the other two?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:37 am

Couldn't disagree more. The Prince is in the middle of nowhere, with no handy transit options - it would take several buses and a long time to get to CF College. By contrast, it would take one fast subway and a short walk to get there from the Sheraton Centre.

Plat treatment is mediocre. Pool area is a joke. No lounge or family (children) facilities/amenities. It's not horrible, but I would take either of the other two choices over the Prince anyway.

Cheers,
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:37 am

Is there anything around it for family to easily enjoy compared to the other two?
Nope. It's sort of in an industrial park.

Cheers,
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Flews
Couldn't disagree more. The Prince is in the middle of nowhere, with no handy transit options - it would take several buses and a long time to get to CF College. By contrast, it would take one fast subway and a short walk to get there from the Sheraton Centre.

Plat treatment is mediocre. Pool area is a joke. No lounge or family (children) facilities/amenities. It's not horrible, but I would take either of the other two choices over the Prince anyway.

Cheers,
I think you missed where the OP was going to be working The traffic alone is reason to not stay in downtown TO.

See below:
I will be at the Canadian forces college up by the 401 so I will not be in the central business district.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 6:28 am

I think you missed where the OP was going to be working The traffic alone is reason to not stay in downtown TO.

See below:
No, I know exactly where the CF College is. And I specially addressed the transportation challenge from the Prince, versus the Sheraton, in my post.

I used to live 5 minutes from the Prince, and worked downtown for 20 years, so I am pretty familiar with what the OP is asking about.

Still, as always, YMMV.

Cheers,
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The Westin Prince is a nice enough property. It's situated on a fairly large piece of land which has been reasonably well landscaped to the point that it's almost park-like. The trouble is that once you leave the property, there's nothing there. It's not in a bad neighbourhood by any means; it's just that there's nothing of interest nearby unless you have a car and can drive to wherever.

Downtown (Sheraton Centre) is downtown so there's lots nearby within very easy walking distance. The lounge is quite nice though food / drink offerings are somewhat run-of-the-mill.

The Westin Harbour Castle will have nice views out over the lake (obviously weather dependent) but I've always thought of that particular location as being just 3 or so blocks away from actually being convenient for walking to / from places of interest. The streetcar service is right there though so you do have very easy access to the main public transit options.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
Looking for some input from the group.

Staying in Toronto for 5-6 days in June with family in two rooms. What matters to me.
Full breakfast for PLT
Club lounge with drinks
connecting rooms
local activities for family with easy access, walking/tram etc.

How old are your kids?
The Westin Harbourfront is great in the summer. Lots of activity on the water. The pool is really nice and there is a basketball hoop. If you like baseball you may run into ballplayers as that is the hotel for many visiting MLB teams.In the winter NHL players stay here.The PLT breakfast can be upgraded for $9 to a full buffet and is quite good.The connecting corner rooms are very spacious with a corridor between the two rooms.

The Sheraton is good for teenagers. It is connected to the Eaton Centre (large shopping centre) Lots of clubs and cafes within easy walking distance. The club lounge has fantastic views but very disappointing food selection (cereal , toast and fruit).
I stay at the Westin in the summer and the Sheraton the rest of the year.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:48 pm

I would take the Sheraton. Newly renovated rooms - not amazing but big improvement. Subway to York Mills will be easy as you are going against rush hour traffic. Even driving will not be bad. Jarvis/Mt Pleasant, Lawrence, Yonge, Yonge Boulevard (depending on time of day- can't always turn left onto it from Yonge). Parking is $$ at the hotel though.

Always got good upgrades here too.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by canalskater
How old are your kids?
.The PLT breakfast can be upgraded for $9 to a full buffet and is quite good.
KIds are 7, 5, and 3.

I keep forgetting that I need to reset my expectations when coming back to North America and staying at SPG properties, when coming from S.E. Asia.

Paying for full buffet breakfast for $9! PLease tell me that is at least 9 CAD and not USD!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AC Altitude50
KIds are 7, 5, and 3.

Paying for full buffet breakfast for $9! PLease tell me that is at least 9 CAD and not USD!
For kids that age I'd go for the Westin. (I've stayed at both properties for the past twenty+ years with kids). Great pool hot tub area. $9 breakfast upgrade is in Canadian$.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.