Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Toronto Parkway North Hotel [Master Thread]

Old Jun 2, 2003, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Arrow Sheraton Toronto Parkway North Hotel [Master Thread]

Anyone stay here recently? Only comment I could find in the archives was very negative, but it was a couple of years old and the hotel info claims it was recently renovated.

It's a family trip, 3 adults, 2 young kids, don't need to stay downtown, in fact closer to Richmond Hill is more convenient.

Also, debating whether we get 2 rooms or spend the points and upgrade to a suite?

Thanks for any info.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 3:39 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I stayed there with my wife and kids last summer and it had to be one of the worst hotels I have stayed at. It's a little worn, but that's not what I was unhappy with. The service was just awful:

- Inability to adhere to what was agreed in a telephone conversation 24 hours prior to arriving regarding room configuration

- Hit & miss room cleaning. Sometimes they did, sometimes they didn't. On more than one occasion the dirty linen was left in the room

- The hotel wasn't cleaned properly. There was food on the carpets from room service trays. One banana was left on the ground in a prominent place (right next to the elevators!) for two days before I finally complained.

- Service in the restaurant was slow and sullen.

That just about sums it up. There are many spanking new hotels in that area. There is a Hilton opposite and there are two Marriotts in the immediate vicinity. I generally stay at Starwood hotels whenever I can, but not at this one....
Old Jun 2, 2003, 5:52 pm
T3

I also would avoid it. There's several other hotels (although not *woods) in the same area.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 10:17 pm

Here's a older thread. I re-read everything, and it still applies today.

Starwood - Toronto recommendations?

I've always enjoyed staying at this large property (it's actually adjacent to a Best Western). It's not paradise but it has never warranted any negative comments from me.

Of course, if you dislike weddings, stay away from the lobby. Since it's a large convention hotel (that's their speciality) they always have lots of weddings.

They do have a nice Club Lounge with (at that time) two free adult drinks offered per evening for Platinum guests.

My all time favourite part of this hotel was the jacuzzi rooms with the French door divisioned rooms that allow a little bit of privacy to the main bedroom, including a large washroom that has an entrance from both the bedroom and the main room.

------------------
Got points ? Got smiles !
Old Jun 3, 2003, 12:33 am
Original Member

The Prince is far superior.

QL
Old Oct 4, 2003, 8:28 am

Sheraton Parkway Toronto - Recent Stay After Renovation?

Me and several family members need to be in Toronto next weekend. Richmond Hill is more convenient for us than downtown. I know this hotel has been asked couple times and I see many negative comments about it but they are old and appeared for stays before the renovation. Can anyone comment about their stays after the hotel’s renovation (as claimed at the website)?

The rate for Parkway range from CAD149-159 for the period of our stay. Hotels around that area like the new HGI or Hilton Suites are much cheaper. Even the Sheraton Centre Toronto or Westin Harbour at downtown range from CAD159-179 only, a small premium over the Parkway. So my question is whether the Parkway really raise their bar (in term of services and room, not just the price) after the renovation? I don’t want to stay in a dump (as many has described here) and pay a high rate on this. Thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2003, 8:36 am

Forget to mention that Westin Harbour is actually cheaper if I use MC's 3 nights for the price of 2 promotion (low rate for Sheraton Centre's 3 for 2 was available but gone today).
Old Oct 4, 2003, 10:46 pm

I stayed there last summer and posted a scathing review. Although the hotel was looking a little worn, my biggest gripe was the level of service which had to be the worst I have experienced in a Starwood hotel anywhere.

Just over the road there is a spanking new Hilton Garden Inn. My wife and I went over to check it out and really liked it. Next time we visit family, that is where we will stay. There are also two new Marriotts nearby, although I didn't get an opportunity to check them out.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:35 am
Original Poster

We stayed there a couple of months ago, July to be precise. It was a family trip and we had 2 adjoining rooms, one of which was a small suite. The suites have a small living room with a pull out couch, microwave and fridge. There are lots of suites there however don't expect "Presidential" type suites, just something slightly larger than a hotel room that is physically separated.

The rooms and service were fine, although we didn't interact much except at check-in. In fact the staff was quite nice to our young daughters. We stayed at the Sheraton Centre downtown on the same trip and both locations were unmemorable which for us = ok stay.

We also picked it because we wanted to be in Richmond Hill versus downtown. Parking is free, downtown it is not.

Pool is small and shared with the adjoining Best Western. Not particularly nice, but I have low expectations for hotel pools in non-resort locations.

Bottom line, I would stay there again if we needed to be in the Richmond Hill area.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 9:33 am

Programs: CX DM

the reviews past were scathing -- does any one have any experience post-renovation ? i'm planning a trip later this year and their suites for CAD 165 PN (or less with X2K rates) look very attractive ...

here are a couple pics from their website

1. jacuzzi
2. room

it doesnt look half bad ..
Old Aug 12, 2004, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by marcuslai
the reviews past were scathing -- does any one have any experience post-renovation ? i'm planning a trip later this year and their suites for CAD 165 PN (or less with X2K rates) look very attractive ...

here are a couple pics from their website

1. jacuzzi
2. room

it doesnt look half bad ..
The jacuzzi in that picture is from the pres. suite. The newer rooms are in the in the Richmond Tower. There is free hs internet and parking, which is a ^
Old Aug 12, 2004, 6:14 pm

The "room" picture is in fact a suite and doesn't look much different from when I stayed there a couple of years back.

My main gripe there was the lousy service. The place was filthy (room service leftovers left on the carpet for three days, dirty linen left in bedroom on more than one occasion, and the list goes on). No amount of refurbishment will fix that problem. Now if you told me that they changed the management too...well that would be a different matter.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 7:53 am
Original Poster

The picture of the room, is the typical suite room you would get. The bath is not the bath in the "normal" suite, must be a special suite.

I think the bad reviews are a bit dated. We stayed there this July and also in the summer of 2003, both were family trips. The hotel was fine, nothing special, but it is way in the burbs and not a downtown-type property.

Easy access to highways, lots of restaurants within walking distance.

Rooms were clean, having the suite with separate sitting room was nice. It's built as a suite so it is not the size of 2 full hotel rooms, about 1 and a half. For example you can watch tv from the bedroom or sitting room, but it's the same tv on a swivel.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 10:45 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum Pref, US Airways Gold Pref, Northwest Silver WorldPerks
Still a dump to steer clear of?

Any more recent opinions of the property? My parents stayed here a few years back and said it was a complete dump. Based on the reviews and responses on this site, opinions are still the same, but those are from 2003.

Is this starwood property still a dump or worth staying at?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA, HHilton, Starwood
Very mixed recent reviews on Tripadvisor.com. You can read the reviews Here

You dont really have much of a choice unless you want to stay near downtown or the airport for quality accomodations.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.