Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

W Hotel objects to use of "W" by Bush campaign merchandisers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2004, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Cute "Page 6" story from the New York Post online edition: http://www.nypost.com/gossip/28411.htm

THE W hotel chain is aggressively laying claim to the letter W, no matter what President Bush's nickname is. The group behind the chain, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc., has fired off legal letters to two political merchandisers, demanding they remove the letter W — as in George W. Bush — from "apparel and accessories" they are selling. The offending items include baseball hats and T-shirts "that mimic the trade dress of the W hotels, which has the effect of eroding the unique brand identity developed in the W logo."
Geez, and I thought a company with such a big presence in Austin would be more supportive.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 2:44 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by TK-421
Cute "Page 6" story from the New York Post online edition: http://www.nypost.com/gossip/28411.htm

Geez, and I thought a company with such a big presence in Austin would be more supportive.
Bush has my support, but business is business.

Besides this, there is not that large a contingent of us in Austin any longer.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Please note that any reference to any political views are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide or Starwood Preferred Guest; although it is really hard to believe that I have to explain this since my remarks were meant to be a joke in the first place - hence the wink.

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Aug 9, 2004 at 6:18 pm Reason: to add political disclaimer
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
-->hey maybe some democrats will think they can stop staying at W to hurt Bush's bottom's line

--> Wonder what the Starwood stand is on "W Ketchup" for those not wanting to give indirect dollars to Kerry's wife
Old Aug 4, 2004, 3:21 pm

When I first went to Bush's site to order some stickers, I do remember connecting the Bush W to the W Hotels W. I must say, though, that I really liked the merchandise. Very comtemporary and classy.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
That is rather amusing, but I do not think that W Hotels should complain about a guy using his initial and try to lay claim to a letter of the alphabet. What if a guy named "Hilton" runs for president, will that hotel try to prohibit the use of his name?

Now if someone tries to open a hotel called the "W" then they would have a reason to complain.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Bush has my support. . .
Oh Lurker, say it isn't so!! And here I thought you were an enlightend Texan (I know, I know -- oxymoron). My image is shattered!

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Aug 4, 2004 at 9:36 pm Reason: fix code
Old Aug 4, 2004, 10:26 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I knew I should have copyrighted the entire alphabet.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 1:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Oh Lurker, say it isn't so!! And here I thought you were an enlightend Texan (I know, I know -- oxymoron). My image is shattered!
At least he's not voting in a "battleground state" ...
Old Aug 5, 2004, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by quinella66
What if a guy named "Hilton" runs for president, will that hotel try to prohibit the use of his name?
Perhaps, but he'd fit right in, what with the press loving to snap photos of daughters of president (and presidential candidates) and talk about them in the tabloids and all.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:27 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Originally Posted by rbAA
I knew I should have copyrighted the entire alphabet.
I think Sesame Street beat you to it!

This post has been brought to you by the letters "S" and "K"

SteveKoe
Old Aug 5, 2004, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by TK-421
Yeah, but since Starwood Hotels & Resorts is based 15 minutes from my house in White Plains, NY, they don't feel all that close to the guy.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; SPG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Bush has my support, but business is business.
William, I'm really disappointed to see you post your political preferences here and can't for the life of me understand why you did so. You're the primary reason I chose SPG as my favorite hotel program. Why would you want to alienate approximately 50% of your company's guests by stating your political opinions here? What point does it serve?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 8:39 pm

Programs: SPG, AA Elite, HHonors, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by BoulderFlyer
William, I'm really disappointed to see you post your political preferences here and can't for the life of me understand why you did so. You're the primary reason I chose SPG as my favorite hotel program. Why would you want to alienate approximately 50% of your company's guests by stating your political opinions here? What point does it serve?
God forbid an American support his President.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:24 pm

I sure hope he's alienating MORE then 50% of his company's guests!
Old Aug 7, 2004, 6:23 am

Programs: NW Plat,*wood Plat,Honors Diamond.
Come on 50%???? I do believe that if you were to do the demographics of the typical *wood member you will find them progressive and intelligent thinkers who dislike flip-flopping and the ability to lie and loose their temper all in the same sentence. I do not feel William is alienating any one but if he were I would say it must be about 13%. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.