FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton San Jose [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/339100-sheraton-san-jose-master-thread.html)

prncess674 Jul 20, 2004 10:26 pm

Sheraton San Jose [Master Thread]

Does anyone have any info on this hotel. I will be in Silicon Valley for a few weeks and have never stayed here. I have stayed at the Westin Santa Clara which I was very unimpressed with. Anyone ever stayed here? My corporate rate is $129. Do they have a lounge? How is the gym? How do they treat Plats?

SFOLIS Jul 20, 2004 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by prncess674
Does anyone have any info on this hotel. I will be in Silicon Valley for a few weeks and have never stayed here. I have stayed at the Westin Santa Clara which I was very unimpressed with. Anyone ever stayed here? My corporate rate is $129. Do they have a lounge? How is the gym? How do they treat Plats?

Not a bad hotel, but nothing special either.

Very small lounge on the top floor, there are tables and chairs in the hallway for peak morning and evening usage. Free drink is a plus.

Gym was a joke.

As a plat, I had always been upgrade to club floor, which is not special. But free local call and Highspeed internet is a plus.

No Sweet Sleeper last time I stayed there. (Dec. 2003)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175069
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172281
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175808

bp888 Jul 20, 2004 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by prncess674

Sheraton San Jose is actually in Milpitas.;) It's a run-of-the-mill 9-story hotel building with each guest room equipped with individual room air-conditioners (usually noisy), basic bathroom setup, coffee machine, no fridge or microwave. Club Level is on the 8th and 9th floors. As Plat this is where they're going to put you. AFAIK, the 8-9 floor rooms are the same as the rest. Ask for a room facing the garden/pool as the ones facing the freeway will be audibly noisy if you turn off the A/C. Continental breakfast is offered on the 9th floor every morning (M-F) for Plats, not in a real lounge setting but the space right outside the elevator (i.e. the hallway). There is a small business center nearby. Very basic. Gym on the 2nd floor comprises 2 beat-up treadmills and some equally beat-up weight machines. At least they're working. I can't remember if they have any elliptical machines.

Bottom line: This hotel is basic as basic can be and, boy, the place sure needs a renovation.

Now the good news... all the rooms have the Sweet Sleeper bed with duvet and fluffy down/feather pillows. Wired Internet is free to Plats. (Bring your Apple AirPort Express if you're a Mac user.)

I would say depending on where you need to be in Silicon Valley, the Sheraton Sunnyvale is a tad better. I read in another thread that both Sheratons are owned by the same company. Another not-so-enticing option is Four Points, also in Sunnyvale. Here they have Wi-Fi but no Sweet Sleeper. Best option if you don't mind the commute because it is located at the northeast periphery of Silicon Valley is the W which is in either Fremont or Newark.

KathyWdrf Jul 20, 2004 11:20 pm

I've only stayed here once, for one weekend night, but my impression was quite different from that of others.

Basic? In need of renovation? Huh??? Well, must be another case of some rooms have been renovated, others have not.

As a Gold (at the time), I was upgraded to a one-bedroom suite, with a wonderful balcony overlooking the courtyard/pool. It had a fridge and micowave IIRC. Only thing I didn't like about the suite was the minuscule table in the corner of the living/dining room. It should have and could have been MUCH bigger, to serve as desk etc. Also received a coupon for the free breakfast buffet in the restaurant; the buffet WAS basic, but OK.

I would suggest that as a Plat, you should be able to get a nice room or suite, equipped the way you need it, at this place. If you don't like what they give you, ask for something different. And if that doesn't work, vote with your feet and your wallet.

kluau88 Jul 20, 2004 11:46 pm

Sheraton Sunnyvale is your run of the mill Sheraton property. In an industrial part of Silicon Valley. The Sheraton Sunnyvale is located next to Lockheed Martin and Juniper Networks. They offer a small club lounge and free high-speed internet access to Platinum members.

stimpy Jul 21, 2004 4:56 am

I stayed there quite often during the dot.com boom. There are actually two different sections to the hotel. There is the 9 story tower which has very basic rooms. I always got a suite which I think was the x01 room. But there is also the section in the back which has huge suites overlooking the pool. Those are really nice.

But the best thing is happy hour in the lounge. The lady who used to work there was fabulous. The wine and food is great and the people who frequent it are a lot of fun to talk to.

This hotel is owned by the same people who own the Sheraton Sunnyvale which has a similar lounge.

crest61 Jul 21, 2004 5:24 pm

I've stayed at the San Jose Sheraton about six times in the past two months, and once each at the Sunnyvale Sheraton and the Sunnyvale Four Points. The San Jose Sheraton beats the others hands down in my book.

My room at the Four Points was horrible, had used soap in the shower and smelled like feet (this was actually my second room, after I requested a change from the first - don't ask!). At the Sunnyvale Sheraton, I did not get a preferred room and was not even in the same building as the club room. I'm Platinum with Starwood, and the Sunnyvale hotels were about the worst treatment I've received. Take my advice, stay at the San Jose Sheraton.

KathyWdrf Jul 21, 2004 5:55 pm

I should have mentioned that I have also stayed at the Sunnyvale Sheraton and Four Points, as well as the W Newark.

In Sunnyvale, the Sheraton is nicer than the Four Points. However, the Four Points' location may be more convenient. Check the locations vis-a-vis where you will be working. I actually liked the San Jose Sheraton better than either of the Sunnyvale properties (based on my limited experience there).

The W Newark is great (love those beds!), but again, not sure if the location will be good for you. No lounge or free breakfast at the W.

If you will be working normal hours, the commute time will be a big factor of course.

schriste Sep 27, 2004 4:05 pm

I just finished a one night stay Sunday. This was probably my 6 or 7th stay at the Sheraton San Jose (Milpitas). I agree with most of the posts here, but I think the hotel is slightly above average for a suburban Sheraton. My only added observation is that the suites (01 series in the 9 story tower) are very small. The sq footage is probably just slightly larger than a regular room. If you are like me and do not like suites with two very small cluttered rooms... then you might prefer a regular room at this hotel. The suites in the low rise section with a view of the pool are the long narrow type with no natural light in the living room. This is another design I personally do not like. Be aware that the hotel is situated next to a freeway (seems they all are these days) so the rooms on that side of the hotel are noisy.

bp888 Sep 27, 2004 4:38 pm

One minor annoyance at this hotel is that as a Plat if they upgrade you to a suite then high-speed internet access is not free. But if you decline the suite upgrade and opt for the standard upgrade to the Club Level, HSIA is free.

MIKEM Feb 4, 2005 12:08 am

I just did a one night stay at the SJ Sheraton this week. Upon check in, I had to battle to get a king bed room. The teenage front desk guy gave me the "we do not have any king beds left" line. He wanted to give me two queens on the 8th floor. He said, "what's it matter, a queen is almost the same size anyway." To which I responded, "yes, but, when you put two queen beds in one room the room is crowded." BTW, I reserved a king room. Anyway, after insisting on the king room he miraculously found one on the 6th floor. It has been a long time since I have done battle to avoid a down grade.

Mama Sep 20, 2005 4:36 pm

Sheraton San Jose in Milpitas

Questions on Sheraton San Jose @ 1801 Barber Lane, Milpitas.
Does it have a club floor? any lounge for SPG platinum guests? does it have breakfast on weekends?

Thanks.

Mama Sep 20, 2005 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
Questions on Sheraton San Jose @ 1801 Barber Lane, Milpitas.
Does it have a club floor? any lounge for SPG platinum guests? does it have breakfast on weekends?

Thanks.

did a search...appearently, the lounge is closed during weekends, but breafast coupons are given to elite guests. And there is free internet with club level rooms.

Correct?

acnev Sep 20, 2005 7:09 pm

The lounge also serves free alcohol

jocelynt Sep 21, 2005 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
did a search...appearently, the lounge is closed during weekends, but breafast coupons are given to elite guests. And there is free internet with club level rooms.

Correct?

The breakfast coupons are for the restaurant within the hotel. I have never used the internet there since I have only been there for the weekend. You're correct no breakfast lounge on the club floor on weekends.