FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton San Jose [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/339100-sheraton-san-jose-master-thread.html)

LIH Prem Sep 9, 2014 3:34 am

Nice review and it's always nice to have a contrary review.

I'm glad you enjoyed it but ...

The property remains on my do not stay list.

-David

365RoadWarrior Sep 9, 2014 10:06 am

You haven't posted a review, so I'm curious on your points of dissatisfaction with this property. I've spent a month a year here for a decade or more and have seen tremendous change. I'm terminating another hotel relationship and "upping the ante" to six or eight weeks now.

It's not perfect, even by my low standards, but certainly serviceable or better.

LIH Prem Sep 9, 2014 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior (Post 23499051)
You haven't posted a review, so I'm curious on your points of dissatisfaction with this property.

I didn't post anything upstream? I guess not.

It's one of my companies preferred properties, with higher base rates than the HR Santa Clara which is much nicer if you can get it IMO. The problem is, as you know, with occupancy rates in Santa Clara area, it's often difficult to get a decent property at all Mon - Wed nights. Many properties block midweek single night stays.

Basically I thought it was ok, rooms were nothing special, kind of older, tired Sheraton with individual/noisy hvac units vs new up to date modern Sheraton, location is not that great for me (it's really in Milpitas on an i880 frontage road near Montague), though I would prefer the long drive up and back from the Aloft in Newark versus staying at this property. Club was mediocre, but typical for this type of Sheraton. Front desk staff always nice and courteous here, no problems at all with the service, they usually put me in a room on or near the club level.

Admittedly, it's been over a year and if you say there's been changes than perhaps I need to give it another chance at some point. Has there been a major renovation in the last year that transformed the place from a decade or more old/tired Sheraton to a newly built one?

Thanks,
David

365RoadWarrior Sep 9, 2014 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 23501054)
I didn't post anything upstream? I guess not.

It's one of my companies preferred properties, with higher base rates than the HR Santa Clara which is much nicer if you can get it IMO. The problem is, as you know, with occupancy rates in Santa Clara area, it's often difficult to get a decent property at all Mon - Wed nights. Many properties block midweek single night stays.

Basically I thought it was ok, rooms were nothing special, kind of older, tired Sheraton with individual/noisy hvac units vs new up to date modern Sheraton, location is not that great for me (it's really in Milpitas on an i880 frontage road near Montague), though I would prefer the long drive up and back from the Aloft in Newark versus staying at this property. Club was mediocre, but typical for this type of Sheraton. Front desk staff always nice and courteous here, no problems at all with the service, they usually put me in a room on or near the club level.

Admittedly, it's been over a year and if you say there's been changes than perhaps I need to give it another chance at some point. Has there been a major renovation in the last year that transformed the place from a decade or more old/tired Sheraton to a newly built one?

Thanks,
David

I'm with you on most of that. My priorities are a little different, but "I hear ya". I'd rather be at the Hyatt Regency too! Provided I don't need to run the HVAC, I like the hotel for its quiet, despite being right next to the freeway. I like the central green space (like the Sunnyvale property). I'm not a Lounge-er, so I couldn't have debated that. Thanks for your comments.

megalab Sep 9, 2014 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 23501054)
...It's one of my companies preferred properties, with higher base rates than the HR Santa Clara which is much nicer if you can get it IMO...

Basically I thought it was ok ... Admittedly, it's been over a year and if you say there's been changes than perhaps I need to give it another chance at some point...

I've also stayed at the HR Santa Clara on business and I agree it is a much nicer hotel. We also have a lower corp rate for standard rooms there than at the Sheraton SJ so no way I'd recommend switching to the Sheraton if you can get into the HR. In our case, suite rates were very competitive at the Sheraton and I don't recall if the HR even had 2Q suites, which are hard to find in a lot of places.

Also, while the HR is a fine business hotel, we really did enjoy the mini-resort feel of the Sheraton SJ grounds for our family stay. Also, the room matters; last time I was put in a Club Room facing the highway and the noise wasn't pleasant. This time we were right near the fountain, and while the decibel levels are probably similar, the fountain was just more calming, and also drowned out the road noise where we were. Direct access to our car and pool from the cabana suite was so much more pleasant for us than dealing with elevators and hallways and such. I think that was a main point of my review; we were on a vacation, so our needs and expectations were different than if I was there on business.

Mainly I wanted to post because the negative reviews didn't reflect my overall experience. One post up-thread suggested it was renovated in the very recent past but perhaps not for the better; I thought everything everywhere looked in very good shape, at least compared to some really dumpy Sheratons I've found myself in. Yes, it was a basic Sheraton style, not upscale like HRs, which I would consider more at the LM/Westin level, but pleasant and functional (as long as you don't need a desk).

One post asked how it could have the same rating as the Palace, which happens to be the SPG hotel in which I've stayed the most nights. No, they don't compare but their room rates don't either, which I'm sure many of the people who recently gave the Sheraton SJ 4-5 stars would take into account. I/We've stayed in 25 different hotels this year, from a Fairmont Resort in Scottsdale to a Days Inn next to DSM, and while I could find something to complain about in all of them, nearly all of them met or exceeded expectations relative to my/our needs and price paid. However, the Sheraton SJ was easily in the top quarter of the group in overall satisfaction.

LIH Prem Sep 9, 2014 10:02 pm

megalab, that's two excellent posts in this thread.

Different perspectives on the same property are a plus, not a minus. Browsing through this thread, it's always gotten mixed reviews.

I'm glad the property worked out for you given your needs for that stay.

-David

flyerbjorn Feb 11, 2016 3:56 pm

Obama apparently stayed here last night.
http://abc7news.com/politics/obama-l...vents/1195804/

The president usually stays at the InterContinental in San Francisco or the Fairmont in San Jose, but this time he's staying at the Sheraton in Milpitas and security is tight. Officers stood by ready to search every car that enters the property.

Only hotel guests were allowed on the property and that was only after a thorough search.

stimpy Oct 23, 2016 3:31 pm

My first stay here in about 15 years and I was warmly welcomed back and upgraded to a junior suite. ^

sfozrhfco Aug 5, 2017 9:54 pm

This hotel is OK. The poolside suites are a decent size and look similar to the Sheraton Sunnyvale/Sheraton Palo Alto. Internet did not work by logging in using the room number and last name. You have to call the IT help desk on the login page to get you connected remotely. The lounge as a space is not bad but the food was among the lowest quality and quantity of any Sheraton in which I have stayed.

In the evening there were some vegetable gyoza that were quite obviously fresh from the factory freezer. They were a bit chewy. Then there was some low quality cheese and a few crackers and an iceberg lettuce salad. Dessert was chocolate chip cookies which were not bad.

Breakfast was pineapple (best of the fruit), honeydew, strawberries, and rock hard cantaloupe accompanied by boxed cereals, hard boiled eggs, and very low quality bread and pastries.

The pool is nice and there weren't many people around so it was quite relaxing.

AJDem Mar 18, 2021 1:03 am

has this place gotten any better? Have a 1 night stay in a club room coming up next month

NYC Flyer Mar 18, 2021 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by AJDem (Post 33109010)
has this place gotten any better? Have a 1 night stay in a club room coming up next month

I looked into this property for a a mattress run...parking is free. Don't expect much else, particularly any "club" amenities or dining of any kind.

What to Expect Sheraton SJC

Five years ago as a non-elite, I stayed for 3 nights and thought it was totally fine. Other properties are doing more at the moment.

vanabb Jun 20, 2023 3:26 pm

Looks like no lounge here? What is breakfast like? Parking now $12 from website.

vanabb Jun 26, 2023 10:07 am

Here for a week. Platinum lounge is open on the 9th floor, with breakfast and evening service Monday-Friday. Breakfast is in the restuarant on the weekends. Loung breakfast has hot choices (eggs, etc.). Pool is open, parking $12/day. Maybe a little dated, but feels completely fine. Staff are friendly. Reminds of all the old SPG Sheratons I used to stay at.