Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email Addresses (per Post 425)

Print Wikipost

[LEFT Marriott; to become Rosewood] Blue Palace, Crete, Greece [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2004, 4:42 pm

Great report. Any pictures?

- How would you compare the Blue Palace to the Santa Marina in Mykonos?

- Was their a gym? How was it?

- What was the main pool like?

- In terms of ultimate Starwood ocean resorts in Europe, would you say this is at the top of the list?

- What are prices like on the Island? Expensive?
Old Jul 15, 2004, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by airbust

- In terms of ultimate Starwood ocean resorts in Europe, would you say this is at the top of the list?

-- lots of pictures and quicktime and when I figure out how to post I will

--Different types of hotels -- Blue Palace a cut above but not intimate like Santa Marina. Santa Marina seemed a bit light on staff with more of a focus on the villa owners. SM was very layed back -- yet it had a definite feel of exclusivity and causal elegance yet the resort was a bit tired though rooms on the first two or three levels appeared to have been recently renovated. SM missed in details -- little stuff like dead flowers on the table at breakfast.

-- The spa at Blue Palace appeared to be amazing -- however we are not spa types -- But I am sure one would not be disappointed -- my assumption is that it included a gym.

---The pool on the reception level 4 was as I said fantastic -- large trapazoid like design adjacent to the outside bar area with large couches and a sun deck with 20 or so teak sunbeds overlooking the sea. The pool at the beach level was huge and the indoor pool in the spa was a good size and both overlooked the sea.

---We have not done Spain or Sardinia so I cannot comment on that -- our preference is Venice Lido Excelsior -- but I suspect most would choose Blue Palace because of the newness and the frills such as spa, private pools, facilities etc. We did not get to Santorini but have read the mostly unfavorable reports on that property.

---Tavernas 35-50 Euros for dinner for two with fresh seafood with appetizer, salad and house wine. Lunch maybe 20 Euros.

Last edited by scavanger; Jul 15, 2004 at 6:28 pm
Old Jul 15, 2004, 8:48 pm

Location: Honolulu, HI USA; UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the great report! ^ We are planning a return trip to Greece next year and the Blue Palace is in our travel plans (they only have rack rates loaded into the system for 2005). The facilities sound nice, and hopefully their service will improve over the next year. I am a little concerned about the thought of travelling to the other side of the planet to stay at a "Marriott resort in Ft. Lauderdale", but we are set on going to Greece and I would like to check this place out.

Couple questions:

- Were the outdoor pool/s heated? We ran into this issue last year at another Greek property, and since your description of the beach doesn't sound great, we'll likely want to spend time by the pool ... hence the question.

- Since you don't think the hotel itself is a "destimation resort", how long of a visit do you think is adequate to see the nearby sites?

Thanks again.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:11 am

I am planning to go Greece for a total of 8 nights. Thought I would spend 2 nights in Athens (I think that's enough), and then I will have 6 nights for the Islands.

Would 6 nights be too much at The Blue Palace? Would it be better to split the time with one of the others?
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:34 am

I am planning to go Greece for a total of 8 nights. Thought I would spend 2 nights in Athens (I think that's enough), and then I will have 6 nights for the Islands.

Would 6 nights be too much at The Blue Palace? Would it be better to split the time with one of the others?
---What you may want to think about is starting at Blue Palace and then leaving Mykonos (or some other island) and Athens flexible that way if you really like (or don't like) Blue Palace you can modify the rest of your trip. Crete is an amazing island where one could easily spend a couple of weeks in my opinion.

We spent 3 nights (e.g. two full days) in Athens which was just right for us-- and we spent 4 nights in Mykonos which was probably one night too long

Its hard planning when transfers eat up so much time
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA-Platinum; Starwood-Plat; Hyatt-Diamond; Hertz-President's Circle
Scavenger, thank you for all your insights and details about your stay at Blue Palace. I, like some of the other posters, am planning a vacation there with my girlfriend for 4 nights in mid July of 2005. First we are staying in Athens for 4 nights, then off to Santa Marina in Mykonos for 4 nights, and Santorini for 1 night before hitting Crete. Unfortunately, I booked my travel arrangements through LuxuryLink.com, which is a lot like Hotwire in the fact that you "bid" on the package, so I may not be eligible for any upgrades as a Platinum SPG. However, we are booked for a Superior Bungalow w/ private pool, so I'm sure we will be fine.
My questions are as follows:
Were there fairly frequent ferries from Santorini to Heraklion?

Did you visit the Palace at Knossos? If so, did you drive or arrange a tour through either the hotel or a local tour "store"?

What time of year were you there?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 4:51 pm

Were there fairly frequent ferries from Santorini to Heraklion?

WE SKIPPED SANTORINI -- FERRY SCHEDULES CAN BE A BIT OF A CHALLENGE. HERE IS ONE OF MANY LINKS THAT MAY BE OF SOME ASSISTANCE

http://www.cretetravel.com/To_and_fr..._Santorini.htm

THE SCHEDULES CHANGE FROM YEAR TO YEAR AND IN THE CASE OF FAST FERRIES THEY DON'T ALWAYS RUN IF THE MELTEMI WINDS ARE BLOWING - ANOTHER WEBSITE IS WWW.FERRIES.GR --

WE FOUND A TRAVEL AGENT IN MYKONOS WHO WERE AMERICANS (FLUENT IN ENGLISH) AND WERE AMAZINGLY HELPFUL IN PROVIDING CURRENT AND RELEVANT INFORMATION-- THEIR EMAIL IS [email protected] THEIR COMPANY IS LIKOURIS TRAVEL INTERNATIONAL (30) 22890 26439 WWW.TRAVELAGENT.GR --

Did you visit the Palace at Knossos? If so, did you drive or arrange a tour through either the hotel or a local tour "store"?

NO WE SPENT OUR TIME SEARCHING OUT SAND BEACHES (how pathetic is that)

What time of year were you there?[/QUOTE]
JULY AND THE MELTEMI WINDS WERE SEVERE IN MYKYNOS BUT WERE NOT AN ISSUE IN CRETE

ONE LAST THING THE HOTEL SEEMS TO HAVE RE-CLASSIFIED THEIR ROOM TYPES -- DIFFERENTIATING BETWEEN THE TWO FLOOR SUITES WITH PRIVATE (ADJOINING) POOL AND THE ONE FLOOR SUITES WITH TRUE PRIVATE POOLS.

THE HOTEL WAS RECENTLY REDUCED FROM A CAT 5 TO CAT 4 WHICH SUGGESTS TO ME THEY ARE STILL HAVING A TOUGH TIME WITH OCCUPANCY WHICH MEANS UPGRADE OPPORTUNITIES SHOULD PERHAPS BE EASIER TO WORK OUT -- YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THEIR WEBSITE TO GET THE EXACT ROOM TYPE TERMINOLOGY THAT THEY ARE USING SO YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO ASK FOR.

HOPE THAT HELPS
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:07 pm

While I haven't stayed at the Blue Palace, I have visited Knossos I would recommend the site to anyone who has had an interest in ancient Greece, Minoans, etc. Critics complain that it was creatively "rebuilt" by excavators but I enjoyed it. We had a rental car but my friends made me take the bus from Heraklion (why they didn't want to visit it too, I don't know). It was easy and well signposted.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:41 pm

Blue Palace Hotel Crete Trip Report

We just got back from our vacation and I wanted to share my impressions of the Blue Palace Hotel in Crete.

We flew into Heraklion airport and rented a car. I was a little apprehensive about driving in a foreign country but it was easy. Just remember to hug the shoulder so people can pass. The highway was excellent and it took about an hour to get to the turn for Elounda (they pronounce it “A Loon Da”). The drive along the coast was spectacular and the hotel is in one of the most gorgeous spots I have visited. It rivals the bay in Kauai that the Princeville looks out over although more arid. The island of Spinalonga sits in the middle of a secluded cove and the ruins of the leper colony are visible from the shore. The view this produces is magical in the evening.

The hotel is amazing. We have stayed at some excellent hotels in the past but this one is the best we have ever stayed at in terms of the physical attributes of the property and the room. We were upgraded to a suite that had a private pool. The bedroom was on the second floor and there were 2 great bathrooms. Everything looks brand new and the staff works hard to keep it looking that way. The lobby aobby and bar area has an indoor outdoor layout with huge arches that define the space. It is very visually appealing to say the least.

There were some problems over the 6 nights we stayed. Most were not a big deal but they could improve with better customer service. If you drive a rental car and get a manual beware. The hotel put a gate with an operator half way up a very very steep incline. I have owned 3 different cars that were sticks and I consider myself skilled with them and I had to roll back down the hill on one occasion. Why they stop you at all in this remote area is baffling to me. We wrote our hotel number on a piece of cardboard and flashed it to them on the way up so they would open the gate without us having to stop. When we compained the staff person just shrugged.

Check-in was slow. The person they had to show us to our room was not there and they made us wait 15 minutes before she showed up. She was nice and all but we were tired and I don’t see why they could not have someone else walk us up. Later we bumped into her on the elevator and she acted like she didn't know us? The door man insisted on taking our bags and then didn’t bring them up for 40 minutes when we really would have preferred taking them ourselves. The room keys stopped working on our second day as did the safe. I can’t ever remember anyone apologizing for the inconvenience these things caused. Also, the lift that takes guests to the beach was broken for a full day which was a problem since it is a long walk. They offered rides with golf carts but it was a hassle. Overall the service was not up to par with the amenities and we both thought the staff was a little cold (not rude) with a few exceptions. The woman that ran the spa was super nice and the maids were very sweet as well. We don’t require people to kiss our behinds but we do appreciate warmth when we interact with the staff and a willingness to make our stay a happy one.

The beach area was excellent. We didn’t hang out there very much because we drove around the eastern part of the island during the day and went into Elounda for meals. However, the water was clean and clear and the pools were beautiful and well kept. The beach was private so there was never a feel that it was crowded even though the hotel was full while we were there. We were both surprised how few Americans were at the hotel.

The restaurants were expensive so we didn’t go. We did have room service for breakfast and it was very good. Service was fast from the kitchen to the room.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay and even with the problems we would definitely go back again. The management must have a difficult time, seeing that this is a seasonal resort hotel and they have to bring in and train new staff and get things together pretty quickly every spring. It is my guess that this is part of the service problem. On a scale of 0-100 I would give this hotel a 90.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will try and answer them. We stayed on points by the way and are plats.

Mark

Last edited by MarkRichmond; Jul 1, 2005 at 12:51 pm
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:32 pm

Blue Palace

I also stayed 6 nights back in May.

AGree with lots of Mark's comments, but glad to hear that you got upgraded to a real suite. I was told I was upgraded to a suite, but it was just a slightly extended regular room (Most of the hotel is suites with private pools). The hotel tried to really blow off the plat program...

The gate driving in is odd--I also have driven stick for years, but really struggled with the getting through the gate. You need to stop on a steep hill and wait for them to open the gate--twice I had cars pull up right behind me.

The lift going up from the pool/beach was slow and a hassle.

The breakfast is great and free ($4 extra to deliver it to your room) which is really cool.

We loved the restaurants, although they are real expensive. The food is top notch and the service was perfect at the restaurants.

I thought the service at the rest of the hotel was better than average.

I played golf in Crete--decent course and average rental clubs. It was worth the trip.

I also rented a car and would recommend doing so as well--my company has a rate with Budget which gave me a Toyota (can't remember the model)

All in all, a great trip. I also stayed at the Grande Bretagne which was one of the best Starwood stays I've had in years (there was a royal wedding during my stay and the wedding party was in the "royal suite" on my floor)
Old Jul 2, 2005, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
And could you be more specific about food being really expensive? There's 'Midtown Manhattan' expensive and then there's Costa Smerelda expensive...
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:05 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Thanks for the posts on this property. I have been very interested in a trip here since it joined the *wood ranks. From what I've seen, the place really looks like a gem. Might have to go and write my own trip report soon......
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:21 am

Here are some pictures of the hotel and the view. http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...1&sort_order=0

They are mixed in with pictures of crete, Istanbul and Athens.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by johnsmith
All in all, a great trip. I also stayed at the Grande Bretagne which was one of the best Starwood stays I've had in years (there was a royal wedding during my stay and the wedding party was in the "royal suite" on my floor)
We were in Greece for the month of April this year and stayed for 6 nights at the Grande Bretagne. I agree... for us it was the best hotel we have ever stayed in and am continually surprised that it does not make the Conde de Nast best 100 Hotel list every year...

In 1970 my family spent a year in the Elounda area and actually through a proxy bought water front property there... we sold it three years later when a hotel wanted the land.... it turned out to be the Elounda Beach Hotel.
Where the Blue Palace is now was nothing but olive groves and shepherd huts......and a wonderful secret stone beach that was still littered with abandoned WWII German army vechicles right off shore.

Last edited by david55; Jul 2, 2005 at 6:50 am
Old Jul 2, 2005, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by jchand
When u say breakfast was Free, do you mean, included in rate, free to everyone, Free on award stays or a Platinum perk ????

Thanks.
When my wife and I stayed at the Blue Palace last September on an award stay, the breakfast was free.

EWC-JMU

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.