Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

continual "New SPG.com" popup - very annoying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium

While searcing for rates, availability, etc. on spg.com, I get the "NEW SPG.com - MADE EASIER, JUST FOR YOU." popup window EVERY TIME I GO TO A NEW PAGE. For example, if I keep clicking "next" to get to the next five hotels in the area I'm checking, that popup window keeps coming up, and I have to get it out of the way. Come on, SPG - don't you think once is enough? I mean, it already comes up as the very first thing I see when I go to spg.com. Okay, you've made your point. That should be it. Don't make my experience searching the website any more cumbersome or slower than it already is. Kind of ironic when you think about the claim made in the popup.

Am I the only one who is getting this just about every page I go to?
Old Jun 20, 2004, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Thumbs down Thumbs down, popups!

Very annoying indeed. I used to configure my popup blocker to let SPG pop-ups through because it only appeared on the home page and I didn't want to miss on some potentially useful message. But now that SPG has abused this feature and these annoyances are popping up everywhere, I let my popup blocker do its job. Goodbye, SPG popups. Anyway, the SPG popups are just repeats of what's already plastered all over the website. One would think that with the bad reputation of popups the web gurus at SPG would stop employing this technique.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 1:07 pm

Location: AA: EXP. 2MM; BA: Silver; HH: Diamond; Starwood: Platinum
Angry

I can't even get into spg.com- been trying for two days!
Old Jun 20, 2004, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA,HH Gold,SPG Plat,Natl Elite,Hertz Pres Cir
Pop-ups indeed annoying

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

The irritation is unparalleled. Nothing else really gets me bothered as much as this same pop-up that keeps on repeating itself.

I have no issues with a pop-up appearing everytime I go onto an Starwood site the first time on a daily basis or with a clear cache. But not in the same transaction when I am trying to reserve multiple nights at properties across the board.

I hope it disappears in a couple of weeks at the most. Or else . . . oooooooo it makes me mad
Old Jun 20, 2004, 8:51 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I, too, can't book anything on SPG. I go to book and then I get a message that "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem" and it closes and won't let me book!
Old Jun 20, 2004, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same here. Took about 11 attempts to get on to spg.com

And then when I did, got the same Pop-Up on..every...single...page...one...right...after... the...other!
Old Jun 21, 2004, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Well if SPG were smart (hint, hint...), they would stop using those annoying popups and quit wasting their time developing them. Popups are becoming a dead feature of websites as so many new browser versions block them. The new IE version has a blocker that is on by default. That means that 95% of the users (who do not know how or do not care to know how to reconfigure their browser) will end up blocking popups with the new version.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 4:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Looks like they have found a new way to irritate their customers. With the site being down a lot today, and when you are able to get in you get hassled by the popup, I bet bookings are way down today. Someone should get fired over this.

Mr. Sanders, please pass along our displeasure of this feature to the IT folks.

Last edited by gfowler-ord-1k; Jun 21, 2004 at 4:45 pm
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:24 pm
Suspended

i can't stand the spg.com pop ups...but, annoying-ness just comes with the territory when it comes to spg.com, right?
Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:07 pm
SJC

Programs: UA 1K2MM
I use Google toolbar pop-up blocker. Works great.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SJC
I use Google toolbar pop-up blocker. Works great.
While I agree with this in general, the thing is, I *want* popups on spg.com, to see what offers might be available that I'm not aware of. But one popup when you first log onto the homepage is fine. Continual popups - the same one every time you go one page forward or backward - is ridiculous, however. It's funny - the message behind these popupd is that I should be exploring the new site. I'm *trying* to do just that, but the popups are interfering! Brilliant...
Old Jun 21, 2004, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I *want* popups on spg.com, to see what offers might be available that I'm not aware of. But one popup when you first log onto the homepage is fine. Continual popups - the same one every time you go one page forward or backward - is ridiculous, however.
In a nutshell...yup.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 6:36 am

Location: Hotlanta, GA; Starwood Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
Originally Posted by u2vox
While I agree with this in general, the thing is, I *want* popups on spg.com, to see what offers might be available that I'm not aware of.
There are FAR less intrusive ways of letting people know about promotions than these darn pop-ups. Get RID of them.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:00 pm
In memoriam

Use a cookie

If one must use popops, they should set a cookiie from the originating site (starwood.com) with a reasonable lifetime. The cookie should be a flag to say say "been there, done that, don't bug me again".

But because so many people use popup blockers, they are no longer an effective advertizing method. And when they are too incistant, they have the opposite of the desired effect.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 12:45 pm
In memoriam

10K amex bonus does it better

The popup for the 10K points to sign up for a Starwood Amex card does set a cookie named "10kBonus". However it is a sesion cooklie and you will get the popup again once you close the browser and go back to starwood.com. Better than the new spg.com popup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.