Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Question on *wood Upgrade Policy when staying with points (The Lodge at Koele)

Old Jun 8, 2004, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallian

I am using *wood points to stay at The Lodge at Koele for 6 nights. I am wondering if anyone knows what the official *wood policy is for room upgrades when a Preferred Gold member uses points to reserve the room?

I called *wood today and they said that that whatever benefits I would get if I paid for the room also apply if I utilize points instead of pay.

If the hotel has a better room available at the time I check in, are they supposed to upgrade me to the better room?

If they are supposed to - but don't do it even if they have rooms available -- what is the best way to handle that on location?

Related, I know that The Lodge at Koele is changing property management from *wood to Four Seasons, and they hotel tells me that won't happen until the start of next year at The Lodge at Koele. Although interestingly, I no longer see The Lodge at Koele as an option on SPG.com for free nights.

The hotel assures me that if I am staying with *wood points first week of Sept that there won't be any problems with using *wood points, that the transition won't happen until next year. Anyone here think I should get that in writing, or am I just being paranoid?

CAROLINA
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:49 am

Programs: UA UGS, SPG Plat.
You should be fine

They should upgrade you one room class even on an award stay -- though the Lanai hotels are generally very poor with status recognition in my experience.

As far as the Four Seasons is concerned, the Lodge is not supposed to be making a transition until next year. I, along with some family members, have reservations at Manele in December (along with expensive non-refundable tickets) that was made before the announcement (which still has not been finalized as far as I know) and despite repeated questions have heard nothing from Starwood. Knowing what they did for people who had reservations at the Orchid before it became a Fairmont, I am sure that Starwood will make sure that the Four Seasons honors my confirmed (and already paid for with points) reservation.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:52 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Wishing I could be more definitive and absolute, I can only answer as to what should be.

You should have no problem with your Preferred (free) Night Award reservation.

You should be upgraded to a Preferred Room upon check-in, subject to availability.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:56 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite; UA Premier Executive; HH Gold VIP
Upgrades

Actually, it's not a one-category upgrade; Gold Preferred members are entitled to an upgrade to a specialty room.

Technically, then, if the guest is holding something in a lesser category than that, the hotel should upgrade them, provided they have a specialty room remaining. If, however, the guest is already booked into a specialty room or higher, they then have to rely upon the good graces of the hotel to go above and beyond.

As far as the brand change, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld
Actually, it's not a one-category upgrade; Gold Preferred members are entitled to an upgrade to a specialty room.

Technically, then, if the guest is holding something in a lesser category than that, the hotel should upgrade them, provided they have a specialty room remaining. If, however, the guest is already booked into a specialty room or higher, they then have to rely upon the good graces of the hotel to go above and beyond.

As far as the brand change, I wouldn't worry about it.
Note: a Specialty room may or may not be a Preferred Room. Gold members are upgraded to Preferred Rooms, subject to availability. This is how it appears in the Terms and Conditions of Membership in the program:

2. Upgrades to a Preferred Room at the time of check-in based upon room availability. Preferred Rooms are identified by each hotel property and are superior standard rooms that may include rooms on higher floors, corner rooms, newly renovated rooms, or rooms with preferred views.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jun 8, 2004, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Update

Thanks for your advice.

The key thing that is good to hear is that in theory that they also do SPG Gold upgrades when using award points -- not just for paid rooms. I looked in the SPG terms and conditions, and hadn't seen anything on that particular nuance.

I just spoke with hotel reservations and they told me that if I am currently booked for a "Garden Koele" that *depending on availability*, as an SPG Gold, at check in, they would upgrade me to the next higher class of room which is a "Koele Deluxe", or there could be a partial ocean view.

Here are the room descriptions:

http://www.lodgeatkoele.com/Accomoda...accommodations

I'll let you know how it goes!

I am sorry to see *Wood lose these two properties on Hawaii, following losing the Orchid on the Big Island. I know they are adding a new property on the Big Island in October time frame, but feel like the options for staying at *Wood properties aren't as good as they used to be.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Question for Lurker

William, if it turns out the Lodge does have availability for a "Preferred Room" as defined by the policy you quoted -- and if as WestCoast1K said, the Lanai hotels are known for not recognizing Gold status, what would be the best way to proceed while I am at the hotel?

I am hoping that doesn't happen, but wondering "what if"...?
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by carolina
William, if it turns out the Lodge does have availability for a "Preferred Room" as defined by the policy you quoted -- and if as WestCoast1K said, the Lanai hotels are known for not recognizing Gold status, what would be the best way to proceed while I am at the hotel?

I am hoping that doesn't happen, but wondering "what if"...?
I'm thinking that we will just have to take them at their word if they say no Preferred Rooms are available when you arrive. There is no way for anyone at Hotel Customer Service to know what is or is not available on that day, but if you wish to try anyway, call them at 800-328-6242.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jun 8, 2004, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *wood Plat, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Be aware that a stay at the Lodge at Koele is not the typical Hawaiian experience. The Lodge is on the formal side and with the altitude it‘s on the cool side. Not beach weather. The Manele Bay Hotel is about a 45-minute shuttle ride each way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.