Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Key Largo Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2004, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Presidents
Westin Key Largo Experiences

Thinking about spending a few night at the Westin Key Largo in July. Wanted to get some feedback from the Flyertalk crew!!
Old Apr 17, 2004, 7:57 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I'm not a fan. Why this hotel is a Westin and not a Sheraton or below is beyond me. There are two pools - family pool and adult pool. Nothing fancy about them - there's some waterfall monstrosity that looks like it was covered with Cream '0 Wheat. There's a tree-lined path (saw a very cool snake there) to the small beach, where there are water toy rentals. It's OK, but lack of service is the main reason I won't go back.

Some of my experiences:

1) Fire alarm went off in the middle of two of the three nights I stayed. First time was due to winds so understandble, but second time was unexplained.

2) Desperately needs renovation.

3) Restaurant service is extremely slow. A meal that should have take 90 minutes tops took 3 hours.

4) Breezeways between the rooms were never cleaned and there was some pretty disgusting trash (used Q-tips) that sat in the same spot the entire time I was there.

Some posters here seem to like it well enough. I know there have been other threads, but I can't find them on search.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 17, 2004 at 8:03 am
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:09 pm

It's not that great -- the beach is small, like 5 feet, the rooms are old and the bathrooms are anything but heavenly. As a gold I was upgraded to a Bay view room which was nice because I think the "forrest views" face the parking lot. Treetops is very good although a bit slow as prevously mentioned. Was told twice before going that charges at their watersports shop would earn me starpoints which is why I went parasailing there instead of Key West. Turns out they don't but the manager was going to submit a request to have them posted. Tried to contact her again to follow up since they never did make it to my account and it looks like she's given up since I haven't received a response. Pool's in their parking lot which isn't too inconvenient and I have no idea why this bothers people so much on tripadvisor. They're nothing special but when you consider the age of the hotel, you appreciate the fact that there's a waterfall. That's about all I can think of. There are a few more choices in Key Largo but you just might wanna skip key largo all together if you're heading to the keys
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:01 am

Talking Great Place to Hang Out

I think the Largo Westin is great. Not luxurious.. but a great place to hang out.

I stayed there 2 years ago in July for the Lobster mini-season. As a Plat., they gave me a huge water view room with jacuzzi tub, "living room" area, and dining area. Had some family meet us and they gave them the adjoining room so there was no need for constant hall walking.

We caught our share of lobsters and cooked them on the dock behind the Westin during a beautiful sunset.

I enjoyed it so much, I again have reservations for the 1st weekend of lobster season in August.
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:45 am

Programs: HHonors, SPG, UAL - 1P
I posted a previous stay here. Do a search and ...

In short - I was upgraded to a nice suite on my stay. Easy to deal with staff. Nice pool area. I would return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.