Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers - A Shadow of its Former Self

Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers - A Shadow of its Former Self

Old Apr 11, 2004, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Thumbs down Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers - A Shadow of its Former Self

Just spent a night (Thursday 4/8) in the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers. Have stayed in this property on numerous occasions and can't believe that it has become the shabby hole it has. This thing looks like an old 4 Points. Drove up and asked where Self Park was - had to sit and wait - made mistake by not just getting valet parked. Self Park is a public garage across a walkway from the hotel, which looked and smelled like a shooting gallery. Opened the hotel (unsecured) doors and was ushered into a corridor where the HR department was with overturned tables and chairs, electrical outlets pulled out of the wall and the baseboard heaters bent out. Wallpaper peeling off, stains (of who knows what) on the carpet. After walking a good 3/4 of a mile, finally made it to the lower (poorly signed) level and struggle with my bag up to check-in. Was accosted by every small child in Illinois, enjoying Spring Break (mental note - don't go near the pool!!) and finally checked in.

Found that hotel policy is to give Plat members the small corner room between the elevators and the ice machine (but sir, it is on the top floor, as you request in your profile). Got my room changed - ("oh, you'll have to come down and get the key...) and went to the Club Louonge for a drink. Had to put up with Chatty Kathy who was upset (nay, perturbed) that Amarosa had returned to The Apprentice - and couldn't stop talking about it. Of course, it being 7:15, there was no food left...

Scene from check-in (one agent, fifteen minute wait) was repeated in morning at check-out. Serious staffing cuts.

I'd definitely take this one off the list for Chicago stays (I should note that I've been staying exclusively in the W hotels for the past few years, but took advantage of a great rate - again, stupidly thinking that a Plat paying $100 is as well treated as one paying $200...)
Old Apr 11, 2004, 7:00 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
mental note - don't go near the pool
Pool? What pool? I've seen bigger bathtubs. I agree with BlueHenFlyer. Don't think I'll stay at the Sheraton Chicago again any time soon. And it looks so nice on the outside too!
Old Apr 11, 2004, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA1MM1K
I don't recommend this hotel either. It is really like a high rise motel. The bathroom I had smelled like a public restroom. It has long been off my Chicago hotel list.

One word: AVOID!!
Old Apr 12, 2004, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Alternative?

We were planning on using points to stay for 5 days (28,000). It sounds like I would not be at all happy. What is an alternative suggestion? I would like to avoid using 40,000 to stay at a Westin.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:04 am

The other *wood properties downtown are category 4. Despite its shortcomings, the Sheraton does have good location...so if you are planning a visit downtown, and using points, you don't have much of a choice. BTW, the Westin Michigan Ave is also cat 3...but from discussions on FT, the reviews are mixed. Location is also pretty good. You might wish to search for previous threads and make up your own mind re that property...
I will not pay to stay at the Chicago Sheraton, but for 28,000 points, it might be tolerable.
If your visit will include a fair bit of visit to Chicago suburbs, consider the Westin O'Hare.

Last edited by choptliva; Apr 12, 2004 at 10:08 am
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:07 am

Try the Westin River North

You'll get what you pay for - try the Westin River North on Dearborn. I've had great experiences there over the last three years or so. It should be around the same if you're paying with points, while the rates are usually similar too. (Also, there are numerous threads in the archives discussing the virtues of this Westin and other local Starwood properties, so you may want to check those.)

Last edited by Pietro; Apr 12, 2004 at 10:09 am
Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Pietro
You'll get what you pay for - try the Westin River North on Dearborn. I've had great experiences there over the last three years or so. It should be around the same if you're paying with points, while the rates are usually similar too.
River North is very nice ^ . But it's cat 4, so it'll cost you a few more points. But I agree with Pietro, it's worth it!
Old Apr 12, 2004, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Great! I will be at this Sheraton for a convention in June! We wanted the Westin River North or Michigan Ave. but this was the only *W property on the convention hotel list. Any ideas on what tower or room number to request that will at least be decent?
Old Apr 12, 2004, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Great! I will be at this Sheraton for a convention in June! We wanted the Westin River North or Michigan Ave. but this was the only *W property on the convention hotel list. Any ideas on what tower or room number to request that will at least be decent?
My beef with the property has been with its self-park (see an earlier post about going through HR and upturned chairs, etc.), the long lines at check-in, and the bath-tub sized pool. The rooms, unimpressive as they were, were at least bearable. So, if you're not driving, don't swim, and don't mind the lineups, it's not totally bad
Again, the location of the property is very good, and you can walk to pretty much most things downtown, IMHO. Summer is a great time to visit Chicago. That itself will make up for a lot of hotel inadequacies. Have fun!
Old Apr 16, 2004, 10:36 am

I had such a bad experience at the Sheraton Chicago this winter that I moved to the W City Center, which was wonderful. (I stayed at the Westin Mich Avenue last month and that was also good.) Bottom line is that there are much better Starwood choices in Chicago.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:23 am

Programs: UA - 1P; Starwood - Platinum
I recommend the Westin River North, but if you're looking for a category 3, the Westin North Michigan is only 7k points/night. It's not as nice as the Westin River North (or either of the W properties), but much better than the Sheraton.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.