Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Please bring back the grid [style of results from property search]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please bring back the grid [style of results from property search]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Agreed. The Marriott website has long sucked. While the SPG website wasn't perfect it was at least far faster and more intuitive than the Marriott one.
happygolucky_nomad likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott PP+A / LTPP
Agreed. The grid was a much more efficient way to review options and book rooms
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
The grid still exists. Here's how to get to it:

1- You must use the SPG site logon (do not go to the Marriott site). Use this link to begin the logon process: https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?...spg&reset=true You must use your new SPG# to get in (or your email as long as it is NOT the same email you used to log onto Marriott) and be sure you DO NOT merge your acct or this login option will be lost to you.
2- Do a search and find a property in the city. Then click on the rate shown to choose a room.
3- At the room level you will switch over URLs to starwoodhotels.com and will now see a new skin that appears to be the old Starwood site. It has an option to use the change rates grid like always.
SK likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:10 am

The thing for me is with the grid I'd often see other properties that I would be interested in staying at and then you could just save them as favorites. I've only saved one for future trips since they changed the layout.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Missing so much the SPG search... was perfect.
Marriott website has never been that good and now it's even worst.
Already missed my SPG (-
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
OMG the SET rates are now so terrible. Big downside of consolidation.
happygolucky_nomad and canael like this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry

1- You must use the SPG site logon (do not go to the Marriott site). Use this link to begin the logon process: https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?...spg&reset=true You must use your new SPG# to get in (or your email as long as it is NOT the same email you used to log onto Marriott) and be sure you DO NOT merge your acct or this login option will be lost to you.
2- Do a search and find a property in the city. Then click on the rate shown to choose a room.
3- At the room level you will switch over URLs to starwoodhotels.com and will now see a new skin that appears to be the old Starwood site. It has an option to use the change rates grid like always.
Have you found any way to access the grid without logging in?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry

I tried this. I mean it works for the specific property but I'm pretty sure everyone is talking about doing a search for a city and seeing every hotel result in a grid...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
I hate everything about the new site.

I hereby apologize to all the legacy UA flyers back in 2012 - I can understand your pain.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Totally agree on the grid. It now takes much longer and more clicks to find the best property and rate for my criteria each time I book.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: ANA Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards, SPG
I really took that grid for granted, I was annoyed that I always had to change the columns to the rates I wanted to see. I never thought they'd take it away entirely and make us do it one by one, that is insane! I have no Mariott rewards account to merge to but I did get some sort of new account number when I most recently logged in, am I screwed against ever getting the grid back?

Edit: Was able to get to the 'four rates' screen for a specific property using the steps mentioned earlier, but there appears to be no way to search a city/region and get them.

Last edited by Primary Consult; Aug 23, 2018 at 2:48 pm Reason: self-answered
Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Agreed. The Marriott website has long sucked. While the SPG website wasn't perfect it was at least far faster and more intuitive than the Marriott one.
Amen! It tells you a little about the culture clash between the 2 companies when MR members (who may have other priorities) clearly put up with and accepted an inferior site and booking process.
remymartin likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton LT Diamond, AA LT Platinum
The Marriott flexible calendar is far far superior to SPG. You can see an entire month of the cheapest rate or if you put in the AAA rate you can see the rate for each day for an entire month. On SPG you have to put in day by day - extremely laborious and slow.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by HookEm
The Marriott flexible calendar is far far superior to SPG. You can see an entire month of the cheapest rate or if you put in the AAA rate you can see the rate for each day for an entire month. On SPG you have to put in day by day - extremely laborious and slow.

However certain rates on Marriott must be searched for by day, and are "not eligible" for the flexible calendar search. Why they wouldn't be eligible is beyond me - since we CAN see them day by day.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
However, IMHO it worked well only because of how few properties SPG has in most areas compared to Marriott.

The more SPG properties there were in an area, the less well I thought it worked.

Imagine now that it had to quintuple in size.

So if Marriott were to bring back something like that, I think instead of making it the default search (which they'll never do), maybe they could make a checkbox for "compare hotels" and then a "compare" button, and that is what would bring up something like that grid, but on for the hotels you had selected.

Marriott can easily return 100+ hotels in a search, and that wouldn't work at well in that grid IMHO. But I bet you never saw anywhere near that many hotels every, anywhere, in a an SPG search, simply because SPG was a much smaller program in terms of properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.