Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you see only Marriott account activity / points when logging into SPG.com: (as of August 19)

If you use the same email address and password on both SPG.com and Marriott.com, logging in appears to take you to your Marriott account by default. Try using your SPG account number and password to log in.

If you use the same email address and different passwords, each password should take you to each separate account. You need to log completely out to switch accounts.

It may be helpful to use different browsers or an incognito/private browsing window to be able to access both accounts without confusing your browser.

Also, regardless, be sure to uncheck the Remember Me before logging in to make account selection easier until you have combined your accounts and have a single login again.

Try https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?program=spg&reset=true to access your SPG account.
Print Wikipost

Systems Outage Update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
This migration to the Marriott platform seems like a mess...

Couldn't they have done this in a few stages?

1. Provide new SPG number to all SPG members, keeping the old SPG.com site.
2. Update points balances and activity to reflect 1Starpoint = 3 Points.
3. Migrate data to new platform, which can be easily separated from the Marriott login. Or skip the migration to the new platform until the start of the program year or when members decide to merge their accounts. And at that point, maybe only the basics (such as points balance, YTD nights/stay/spend, Lifetime nights/stay/spend) need to be migrated and the historical detailed data can be provided like the current SPG activity history screen.

My Lifetime details are all messed up on the SPG side, YTD and Lifetime night totals do not add up (missing a few stays and my AMEX night/stay credits). Points balance seems correct though.

On the Marriott side, my last few stays are missing the 500pt welcome amenity, unless they've changed the way they are displaying those now in the activity listing.
bgriff and supatight80 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) | National Exec Elite | Global Entry | HH Silver
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca

On the Marriott side, my last few stays are missing the 500pt welcome amenity, unless they've changed the way they are displaying those now in the activity listing.
You aren't alone, a number of mine are as well. Once call center volume calms down in a few days I'll call in and get them added retroactively.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by hhoope01
My understanding is that Marriott will never automatically combine your 2 accounts. You will have to initiate the process to merge/combine them.
There is probably some contractual / legal reason for this.

The question is will there be any advantages to having two accounts...
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Hmm, from the posts above I thought I had it sussed - login using old SPG number/pwd on SPG site (as email was giving Marriott account). However no such luck - SPG number/pwd just gives a login error. I know password is correct as it's stored in my password manager and worked last week!

Will just leave it for a few days and see if it sorts itself out.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:09 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
My account merge/combine worked just fine at 1:15pm pacific time today.
It did involve some steps and confusion.
End result, total nights are correct. Total points are correct. Current Status is correct. Reservations are showing up (only Marriott as I had no future SPG reservations)
I wanted to keep my Marriott number and not have to remember a new SPG # so I did the merge from the Marriott site.

These steps worked for me. I’m sure there’s a less involved way but if it works...go with it.

-First off log into your Marriott (Marriott.com) account and uncheck (to not)remember me. You can check your Marriott points and nights totals under overview. Then log out of your Marriott Account.
-Log into your SPG (starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/about/index.html) is the only site that worked to see my SPG info) account using your email address and password and make sure to uncheck (to not) remember me. If you haven’t logged out of your Marriott.com account and turned off remember me this step of logging into SPG won’t work.
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...language=en_US
-Drop down below your name in SPG and go to Profile. You’ll see your new SPG number in here.
-change drop down to Overview and you should also see your SPG night totals YTD and Lifetime.
-log out of SPG
-Log back into Marriott.com using your Marriott login and check (turn on) remember me.
-Drop down below your name to Profile.
-here it should display combine your accounts as an option.
-start the process to combine accounts. When it asks to verify your account enter in your SPG account info (I used my email instead of new SPG number assume you could use your new SPG here as well) it’s not wanting your Marriott info here as you’re logged into Marriott with remember you enabled.
-at this stage it will bring up the totals of the two accounts to be merged side by side.
It DID NOT display any lifetime nights totals at this stage only YTD nights for both programs. I almost stopped here but kept going.
-Continue with the combine, it will then pickup your lifetime totals from space and show you the finished product of total nights and points combined.
-At this point I logged out of Marriott.com and then logged back into Marriott to see if it remembered everything and went thru all my account info, overview, Profile, activity. For me, it is all correct.
-After you have combined account and logged back in, you can scroll down in your “overview” to see your Lifetime Status as it shows up below your current status today 1/2 down the second page.
Ie my Status today says Platinum Elite then just below that it says Lifetime Platinum Elite. Then click the arrow beside Lifetime Platinum Elite and it will display your combined lifetime totals including nights and total Elite years at each level.
-The only step left for my account is for it to roll to LTPP on Jan 1st with my 1,100 total combined nights and 17 years as Plat which both displayed correctly in the previous step. Assuming if you had more than 750 spg nights today it would display LTPP now after the combine steps above.

Good luck to all!
paytonc likes this.

Last edited by Bigshaker; Aug 19, 2018 at 4:11 pm Reason: More info
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, just reading this is making me dizzy.

At around 2:30pm when I logged in my Marriott account I saw all my SPG pts were transferred to my Marriott account with 2 line entries - just HOW this happened? I did not initiate any transfer either online or by phone. The system has done some crazy things!

The only way I could see my Marriott account with correct information was using Private Browsing. I NEVER have any site remember me to begin with and I always UNCHECK that annoying box.

I have the same email address for both Marriott and SPG accounts (different passwords) - SPG site would not let me log in with the existing SPG password. Log in with Marriott password at SPG site brought me to Marriott account despite SPG logo was displayed on the screen.

The ONLY way I can log in SPG is using Private Browsing mode just like with the Marriott account. Then I saw the SPG pts bal which is now translated to the 3x ratio. I also saw the newly assigned 9 digits number. Not sure what to do with it for the moment.

I would just wait till days pass when the system becomes MORE STABLE before I try to combine the 2 accounts.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Hmm, from the posts above I thought I had it sussed - login using old SPG number/pwd on SPG site (as email was giving Marriott account). However no such luck - SPG number/pwd just gives a login error. I know password is correct as it's stored in my password manager and worked last week!

Will just leave it for a few days and see if it sorts itself out.
Try private browsing / Incognito. I have the same issue but private browsing allowing me to log in SPG with existing credentials.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Happy
Try private browsing / Incognito. I have the same issue but private browsing allowing me to log in SPG with existing credentials.
Already tried that, no change. Just getting
Unable to Sign In
This service is temporarily unavailable. But don't worry, we're on it. Please try again later.
Will leave it a day or two and try again.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Just cancelled a reservation I made before the merger and the points were not refunded. Anyone else have this issue?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:09 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
I use the same email as well for both Marriott and SPG.
I updated my steps above, the SPG site that worked for me
to log into SPG was starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/about/index.html
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...language=en_US

it does appear that Marriott.com is down again right now though.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
Already tried that, no change. Just getting Will leave it a day or two and try again.
That was me this morning, then at some point it started semi-working
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I know this transition/merger was a mammoth task, but what a mess in every way. System outage, eh - more like system outrage.

khabah
supatight80 likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Now, 20:30 Eastern, you can't even log in to either Marriott or SPG sites.
expatOWflyer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Bigshaker
-here it should display combine your accounts as an option.
-start the process to combine accounts.
i'm not getting the option to combine accounts....logged in both using spg & marriott but no luck....
Markie likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by rooivalk
Just cancelled a reservation I made before the merger and the points were not refunded. Anyone else have this issue?
I have the same issue. Booking was done on spg.com. Since Aug 18, the number of points required for the booking went down by 5k, so i booked a new room, and cancelled the old one. Points have not been refunded, more than 30 h later.

The whole transition is a bit of mess. I hope it stabilizes soon. But even the call center is unable to fix stuff at the moment. I can imagine they are overwhelmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.