Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you see only Marriott account activity / points when logging into SPG.com: (as of August 19)

If you use the same email address and password on both SPG.com and Marriott.com, logging in appears to take you to your Marriott account by default. Try using your SPG account number and password to log in.

If you use the same email address and different passwords, each password should take you to each separate account. You need to log completely out to switch accounts.

It may be helpful to use different browsers or an incognito/private browsing window to be able to access both accounts without confusing your browser.

Also, regardless, be sure to uncheck the Remember Me before logging in to make account selection easier until you have combined your accounts and have a single login again.

Try https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?program=spg&reset=true to access your SPG account.
Print Wikipost

Systems Outage Update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Remember, later in the game we will told when we can combine our accounts. Even though you may see the link now, I suggest NOT doing it until the all clear is given and maybe a few others have checked it out.
After seeing what has transpired this weekend, I fully support your strategy!
RogerD408 and controller1 like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
After seeing what has transpired this weekend, I fully support your strategy!
Moi aussi. THanks to your advice I at least got into my SPG account - but it's still messed up. Points are right - but count of stays/nights is off by 9 nights and a handful of stays. Appears to have no record of stays/nights after 7/15/2018. Also, doesn't show any of my future stays at legacy SPG properties. Sigh.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
SPG Lifetime Nights Incorrect

On the SPG side, my lifetime nights has been overstated by the number of current year nights.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by controller1
On the SPG side, my lifetime nights has been overstated by the number of current year nights.
Yup me too. I also have a bonus SNA somehow methinks that will disappear soon enough
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yup me too. I also have a bonus SNA somehow methinks that will disappear soon enough
I'm missing 4. Give it back.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:35 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Moi aussi. THanks to your advice I at least got into my SPG account - but it's still messed up. Points are right - but count of stays/nights is off by 9 nights and a handful of stays. Appears to have no record of stays/nights after 7/15/2018. Also, doesn't show any of my future stays at legacy SPG properties. Sigh.
Same for me, last SPG account activity is 7/20. So comfort in numbers, I guess.

For those who see only Marriott account, no SPG account -- try logging in with your SPG account number instead of email. You can (intentionally or accidentally) log in to your Marriott account on SPG.com right now, which is confusing, and might possibly be the default if you have the same email address and password on both accounts. For me, I had same email but different passwords, and spg.com logs in to either SPG or Marriott account depending which password I use; either legacy account number plus corresponding password on either site takes me to the right account as well (and a notification, when logging in using SPG account #, that my SPG account number has changed ).

Even more confusingly, if you are already part-logged in (such that it asks you for a password but not a username/email), it will only accept the password for whichever account you were already half logged in to, and you have to say "not me" and start over to log into the other account, even if your email address is the same across both.

And as far as I can tell the ability to move points between the two accounts is dead for the moment, even though one might still want/need to combine points to book a particular award.

What a mess. This is far, far worse and more confusing than what happened with any of the recent big airline FFP mergers.
EDIflyer and pageboy like this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Where are you all seeing your stays? When I log in at Marriott - I only see my previously booked Marriott stays. When I log in at SPG - it switches me over to Marriott (https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?program=spg&reset=true), where obviously I see the same thing. I've got screenshots of all upcoming SPG stays - so not worried. Just wondering how you're all seeing everything?

As for combining everything, it hasn't. Only nights from Marriott are showing... all SPG nights are not shown on the Marriott site. Hmmmmm. Guess I'll wait a few more days to see how it all shakes out.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:53 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Where are you all seeing your stays? When I log in at Marriott - I only see my previously booked Marriott stays. When I log in at SPG - it switches me over to Marriott (https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?...spg&reset=true), where obviously I see the same thing. I've got screenshots of all upcoming SPG stays - so not worried. Just wondering how you're all seeing everything?

As for combining everything, it hasn't. Only nights from Marriott are showing... all SPG nights are not shown on the Marriott site. Hmmmmm. Guess I'll wait a few more days to see how it all shakes out.
See my post above yours. Sounds like very likely you are managing to log in to your Marriott account at SPG.com (which is now possible, stupidly).
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by bgriff
See my post above yours. Sounds like very likely you are managing to log in to your Marriott account at SPG.com (which is now possible, stupidly).
Look at the URL, they are both marriott.com now. Going to be confusing the first dozen times but we will get used to it. It should be easier if you use a password manager, then just tell the website to not remember me. Plus, this is a short term issue as all the duplicate accounts should be going away unless you are top tier in all the programs and have a boat load of points in each.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by bgriff
yes, that did it. When I tried to log in using my SPG # and SPG password - a pop up appeared which gave me a new 9 digit Starwood #. Using that and my old SPG password got me into see my old reservations. Thanks!

However, as far as nights go - ha! I lost 16 nights from this year and gained 1 lifetime night. Weirdest thing ever.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:07 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Look at the URL, they are both marriott.com now. Going to be confusing the first dozen times but we will get used to it. It should be easier if you use a password manager, then just tell the website to not remember me. Plus, this is a short term issue as all the duplicate accounts should be going away unless you are top tier in all the programs and have a boat load of points in each.
It's just incredibly poor form design to have a site plastered with logos from one brand that, without any guidance to the user, lets you log in to two different accounts using the same user name (your email address). I can appreciate why it made sense to Marriott to have the SPG site updated in this way (and I've never been a Ritz rewards member but I imagine this is how the site long handled the split personality between Marriott and Ritz rewards), but they should have done it such that the SPG-branded site will only let you log into legacy SPG accounts, even if it is hosted on Marriott.com.

If someone has the same email and password on both their SPG and Marriott accounts and doesn't know their SPG account number off the top of their head, they currently have no way to access their SPG account.

Compare this to the airline mergers where, as I recall, there were numerous clear communications about "this is your username in each program, here is which one will survive, here is how you will need to log in as of X date". Marriott is apparently going to get there in the next few days as they start inviting people to combine accounts but the situation today is very sloppy.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
On the new SPG app Lifetime status page (a nice addition, in theory) it says I have over 370 nights and 8 years as silver elite or higher and that my next tier is lifetime silver status??? I was SPG lifetime gold and now I'm what?

Plus I am credited with 30+ nights this year but 0 spending, so another 60 some nights and $20K USD and I get get an ambassador....

One thinks they would have tested this a bit first.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by ckendall
On the new SPG app Lifetime status page (a nice addition, in theory) it says I have over 370 nights and 8 years as silver elite or higher and that my next tier is lifetime silver status??? I was SPG lifetime gold and now I'm what?

Plus I am credited with 30+ nights this year but 0 spending, so another 60 some nights and $20K USD and I get get an ambassador....

One thinks they would have tested this a bit first.
It makes no sense at all. I had 33 nights with Starwood on Aug 17. Today my account shows 17 nights YTD. Where did the other 16 nights go? I'm sure they'll find it - I'm not worried. But it does boggle the mind how they are merging things. I mean, I understand things going wrong - but how can they be unable to carry over the exact number of nights we had?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyGreg
Hopefully they will automatically combine these accounts.
My understanding is that Marriott will never automatically combine your 2 accounts. You will have to initiate the process to merge/combine them.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Another worrisome aspect to the app; under my profile they somehow set my preference to earn BA miles (have no recollection of having done this) and it gives an error message when I try to change my preference back to points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.