Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you see only Marriott account activity / points when logging into SPG.com: (as of August 19)

If you use the same email address and password on both SPG.com and Marriott.com, logging in appears to take you to your Marriott account by default. Try using your SPG account number and password to log in.

If you use the same email address and different passwords, each password should take you to each separate account. You need to log completely out to switch accounts.

It may be helpful to use different browsers or an incognito/private browsing window to be able to access both accounts without confusing your browser.

Also, regardless, be sure to uncheck the Remember Me before logging in to make account selection easier until you have combined your accounts and have a single login again.

Try https://www.marriott.com/default.mi?program=spg&reset=true to access your SPG account.
Print Wikipost

Systems Outage Update

Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I wonder why Marriott didn’t select a small batch of accounts all with different parameters (SPG qualified on stays, SPG Amex, those who did Marriott status challenge, those with Lifetime Status, different status levels in both programmes, those with SNAs, upcoming BRGs and every other possible scenario) and ask if these members would participate in a test stage on 18th August (with some sort of reward like points for helping) and report back all these errors / anomalies?

Then they could spend a few more months working on them and as suggested above, do a general roll out in weekly batches of the other members to merge accounts etc.

It seems crazy to just ask 1 million members to merge their accounts!
Our insect overlords have determined SPG members to be collateral damage in their quest for global hotel hegemony. Money not spent on system integration can be otherwise used on adverts for the new and devalued program.

Last edited by Sabai; Aug 25, 2018 at 9:35 am
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Saint4805
I'm not an IT person but should they not have done some work in a test environment to check everything prior to going live? I expected some teething issues for 2-3 days but it seems like they've gone straight for the big bang change without doing any testing. The 18 August date should have been postponed.
We don't know how much time was allotted to alpha testing, but I have no doubt they did some prototyping but the exceptions exceeded expectations. I suspect a majority of the time from purchase to now has been eaten up by Marketing figuring out what would survive. Remember, this is a team that sill hasn't been able to come up with a name for their new program!

A phrase we've used is the tail wagging the dog...

All we can do now is hold on and see how it all shakes out. If it's too much then there are others options.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:49 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Getting all sorts of web errors this morning trying to perform reservation tasks on Marriott.com and checking stay history.
Why cant they get recent stays to post as well?

My latest problem is a stay form this week that isn’t posted BUT what did post is multiple Instant Point Remeptions
taken out of my account from that stay. I certainly didn’t do any instant point remdeptions at the Courtyard by Marriott??!!
Of course I can’t get thru on the phone to anybody.

This total silence by Marriott in the communication to its members of all these problems says a lot about who’s running the show now. Customer Satisfsction is certainly not high on their list.

Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Sabai
Our insect overlords have determined...
Shouldn't that read "protectors"?

Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:03 am

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc

401 Authorization Required

nginx

Can’t even get to Marriott.com now. But of course the status.marriott.com page says all system are up and running.

Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Bigshaker

401 Authorization Required

nginx

Can’t even get to Marriott.com now. But of course the status.marriott.com page says all system are up and running.
Maybe they can't log in to change it?
karenkay, EDIflyer and kaizen7 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
So I called in to make an award reservation about 90 minutes ago while I was driving. I got home now to find that they didn't process the word "Sunday" nor "tomorrow" and instead made the reservation for Saturday (today). So I called again and was told there was a 5 minute wait due to high volume. That was 20 minutes ago and I'm still listening to their stupid repetitive hold messages and music.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:07 am

This is bloody ridiculous. If you know the web site is going to be down for hours send an email, post a notice on the web site when it was working, Saturday the web site will be down between 1am and 5pm for maintenance.
Don’t just take it down for hours on end with no notification.
Zero customer service skills by Marriott, this is embarrassing. The head of loyalty coming out in that interview saying everything went great is a joke. It didn’t go great, it’s a complete cluster.

Options suck for switching, Hyatt doesn’t have a big enough footprint to fully switch to them, Hilton sucks with award redemption rates, IHG is ok in Kimpton, Intercontinental and some Crown Plazas but there isn’t very many of them, if you can afford only to stay at Four Seasons, Ritz and Peninsulas then you probably don’t care about a rewards program.
They have us over a barrel and it’s clear they don’t care about us with their zero communication to the members about the problems and timeline for fixes strategy.

Last edited by Bigshaker; Aug 25, 2018 at 10:17 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:12 am

I can see it now, corporate email in a few weeks, we know the combining of accounts had a few problems, thanks for your patience. As a reward to show how much we really care about you, we are announcing a HUGE promotion for the rest of the year, get 250 bonus points for each night you stay the rest of the year up to a max of 5 nights.
(Fine print only get 125 points at four points, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn...all hotels in New York City, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami don’t participate in the offer, only valid on new reservations, not valid on award stays)

HAHa seriously I bet it’s something this bad we get.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bigshaker
<

div style="text-align:left;"><div style="text-align:center;"><h1>401 Authorization Required</h1>nginx<br /><br /><br />

Can’t even get to Marriott.com now. But of course the status.marriott.com page says all system are up and running.</div></div>
That was what I got 2 hour ago trying to log in Marriott.com. But was able to log in 15 min later after that 404 error.

So now it returns to be decapitated again.

Just why they even told people that everything was up and running especially telling people they can use their Marriott Travel Package certs as of Aug 20, no need to wait for the Sept 19 date? It cannot be used as of now.

Also International call centers said that their systems were not even updated with the new tables. Hong Kong number told me the table just not exists. They received so many calls that they now extended their opening hours and every rep worked overtime.'
UK number told me when trying to pull up the new table, they got a BLACK screen.

Why did they not keep the originally planned time frame, that was, end of 2018?

Some yearend bonuses of the higher ups are depending on that? Some major investors pushed the early execution?

This now turns into a gigantic mess on ALL fronts.

The biggest mess seems to not able to refund the canceled SPG award reservations. People have hundreds of thousands pts tied up with no end in sight.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 25, 2018 at 10:35 am
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
<br /><br />That was what I got an hour ago trying to log in Marriott.com. And yeah, the status site said everything is up and running.
I just went in to check my profile settings and they needed updating. I have not combined my accounts yet. On my MR account, it is showing my status properly and I was able to make changes and given the opportunity to combine. On my SPG account, my status is showing Platinum, but should be Gold, my LT nights are overstated my annual nights, and until earlier this morning I had no LT status. Trying to change my profile aborts say unable to login to the account I am logged into already and changes revert back to previous (and wrong) settings. I don't have any upcoming stays so this is not a big issue, but as others have said, we are now a week into this process and a lot further to go.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I just went in to check my profile settings and they needed updating. I have not combined my accounts yet. On my MR account, it is showing my status properly and I was able to make changes and given the opportunity to combine. On my SPG account, my status is showing Platinum, but should be Gold, my LT nights are overstated my annual nights, and until earlier this morning I had no LT status. Trying to change my profile aborts say unable to login to the account I am logged into already and changes revert back to previous (and wrong) settings. I don't have any upcoming stays so this is not a big issue, but as others have said, we are now a week into this process and a lot further to go.
I have not combined my accounts either as I do not see any advantage doing so. I can use the point advance method to book the Marriott properties in the next 2 months that we need, assuming the Sept 18th end of blockage would actually materialize, although I am not hopeful at all at this moment with how things are going.
I have kept a sizable balance in my SPG account, in anticipation that something could go terribly wrong, I am SOOOO GLAD I have not booked any SPG property that goes down in points prior 8/18. Unfortunately many do because the Lurker told us SPG no longer needs cancel / rebooking, but can call in to get pt refund. The very sad reality is, any change to the SPG booking seems still generating a cancellation first, with the points NOT coming back. So now many people are in very bad shape because they dont have enough pts left to rebook, while SPG properties cannot be booked using the point advance method.

What a disaster. There is no customer service at all, not even been considered when they designed the system for the final merger.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
So I called in to make an award reservation about 90 minutes ago while I was driving. I got home now to find that they didn't process the word "Sunday" nor "tomorrow" and instead made the reservation for Saturday (today). So I called again and was told there was a 5 minute wait due to high volume. That was 20 minutes ago and I'm still listening to their stupid repetitive hold messages and music.
IT issues I can understand. But how can they be so stupid as to not realize there could be problems and staff accordingly? I sat on hold on the Platinum line for 44 minutes before someone answered and 10 seconds into the call the line cut off! $&%&)@)($%%!!! FF'ing Marriott!!!

I then called hotel directly, knowing the answer in advance, and of course they can do nothing. I have to call Starwood/Marriott. I will wait til tomorrow my time, midnight in the US, and try again. I expected problems but this is just so amateur. They must be paying their call center staff and management near minimum wage.
Bigshaker likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
IT issues I can understand. But how can they be so stupid as to not realize there could be problems and staff accordingly? I sat on hold on the Platinum line for 44 minutes before someone answered and 10 seconds into the call the line cut off! $&%&)@)($%%!!! FF'ing Marriott!!!

I then called hotel directly, knowing the answer in advance, and of course they can do nothing. I have to call Starwood/Marriott. I will wait til tomorrow my time, midnight in the US, and try again. I expected problems but this is just so amateur. They must be paying their call center staff and management near minimum wage.
More like they were cheap in their IT budget in handling the merger.

To be honest, the call center staff is NOT giving the tools to do their job.
As late as yesterday afternoon, a guy claimed he was supervisor told me there was an internal memo sent out that the travel package was not refundable, not changeable, not be able to attach to the bookings if you haven't attached pre 8/18, your cert would just be worthless...

Yet, we know that isn't the case - from the beginning when Lurker informed us (he made it very clear that everything he said, must be first approved by the "Loyalty Team"), nor the Ad Hoc damage control announcement on how to handle the overcharged Category 6, 8 and Tier 1-3 certificates. On top of that when one is lucky enough to find a rep / supervisor willing to help, things can be sorted out at least if it is Marriott side only issue.

But this guy told me, I would not put my job on the line because of this internal memo issued just 2 and 1/2 days ago (presumably on Mon or Tue). That of course explained on the ridiculous email responses folks received when they submitted their request for refund on the overcharge, based on what Marriott Reward Insider said here....

Management completely fails in the communication dept - not to the customers and not even to their troops that actually do the grunt work.

This merger is much worse that what the CO/UA merger we suffered thru a few years ago. Should never be like that.
Bigshaker likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
More like they were cheap in their IT budget in handling the merger.

To be honest, the call center staff is NOT giving the tools to do their job.
I am sure you are right about that. But how do you translate Sunday to Saturday? That is a plain screwup. And again, it's the CEO's fault (cause everything rises to the top and the buck is supposed to stop there) because they did not prepare this merger very well.
Bigshaker likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.