Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your last SPG stay

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Sheraton West Des Moines Iowa - better than expected stay, hotel is under renovation and getting better, it is very obviously a former Embassy Suites

Fantastic stay last week at the Westin Dallas Galleria - this will be how I remember SPG - upgrade to a phenomenal suite with full living room, 2 full bathrooms, floor-to-ceiling windows; fantastic Club lounge with plenty of food and complementary drinks during HH; friendly staff at the front desk, restaurant, and lounge -- in general just felt taken care of and recognized for my loyalty to SPG

I will desperately miss SPG. It was the only rewards program that I truly cared about renewing each year -- had a couple of "lean" travel years and always did 1-2 mattress runs if needed to keep my Platinum status. Qualified for Lifetime Platinum in April.

First 3 hotels were on leisure trips when I was younger - Sheraton Libertador Buenos Aires, Four Points Montevideo, and Sheraton Iguazu Falls -- it showed the range and depth of the brand and I've been hooked ever since

I truly felt that SPG was a large and important part of my identity as a traveler. I will sincerely miss it.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
More mundane than some but...

Sheraton, Athlone, Ireland. Great staff who have taken great care of us on stays over the years.

RIP Starwood.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
Spent last night (8/17) at the Sheraton North Houston at IAH. No interest at the front desk in chatting about the 18th unlike the 4 Points in Quail Springs OKC earlier this week who was really talkative about the changes. I'll be sad to see SPG go (and will really miss the 3 stays per night when mattress running in a lean year). In my experience SPG has always had some fantastic front desk employees who always made me look forward to getting there, hopefully they're taken care of in the merger and keep those great attitudes.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Last Stay - Element Harrison NJ on 8/16/2018

Fist Stay as Conbined Program - Le Centre Sheraton Montreal on 8/19.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Last SPG stay: One night last month, in a big one bedroom suite in an aloft.

First combined Starriott stay: Next week in a good Sheraton where I've already been preupgraded to a big one bedroom suite.

Nothing exciting, but I needed exactly these locations, and I know both hotels from previous stays.

Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Underwhelming for me... FP YYZ! But I did enjoy their plat breakfast.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
A Club Suite at Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur last weekend. Staff were lovely as usual and I was lucky enough to score a suite upgrade.

A couple of associates had a quiet grumble to me about the impending SPG/MR merger.

I hope all is well after the merger and all the staff continue to be looked after.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Sheraton Boston for me. Travel plans last week were cancelled as it was probably going to be the W City Center in Chicago. Have had a great history with the Sheraton Boston though, including some massive upgrades. Just had a normal room on a one night late checkin.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Four Points Louisville Airport for me. Check-in 8/17, out 8/18. Kind of a fitting coda, that I switched to SPG b/c of their amazing customer service and some really awesome full-service hotels...and my final night before Marriotization was at an airport Four Points. :-)
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
One-night stay at the Excelsior Hotel Gallia in Milan, Italy. Booked about 2 hours before arrival and was immediately upgraded to a suite.

Great final SPG stay!
Andy82 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:58 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, BD Gold, SPG Platinum
The Wanderlust Singapore was my last SPG stay. If not counting Design Hotels, then it was The St. Regis Bangkok
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Finished off with W Amsterdam and W London but as a W fan boy will likely stay with them in the future regardless of program they are in / or status I may or may not have.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nevansm
Unless I missed it, I can’t seem to find a thread where we can reminisce about our last spg stay.

I’ll be staying at the Liberty in Boston, one of my favorite SPG hotels in the world. Have always gotten great upgrades, the sparkling wine welcome is great, and if you’re into it the bars are pretty awesome. It’s been a great ride SPG, but as a lifetime Marriott PP I’m hoping things are just as good as heh have been.

Whats the last property you’re at before the 18th?
I'm glad you had a better experience than I did... stayed there 10 times last year for more than 60 days total and no decent upgrades to speak of, overcharging for everything, minimal breakfast amenity for plats, but sounds like you had a different experience.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Is there a thread for first stay in the new program at "former" SPG properties? Had a very nice stay at Sheraton Presidente San Salvador...and had the most amazing checking in experience today at the Aloft San Jose Costa Rica. Didn't think an Aloft could go that far for a welcome! And did learn a lot about the new info hotels have on us...from now on. So even if my Ambassador sucks at even doing the minimum service, properties still rocks. Good as at the end of the day, it's the property that make the difference!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
Is there a thread for first stay in the new program at "former" SPG properties?
Not yet and I would vote to have one.
Might be good to also ask that others include information about status acknowledgement and what they did and didn't get as a result vs. what they are now entitled to in the new world.

It might go in the new parent forum though... where the negativity seems to be more prevalent.

Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
Had a very nice stay at Sheraton Presidente San Salvador...and had the most amazing checking in experience today at the Aloft San Jose Costa Rica. Didn't think an Aloft could go that far for a welcome! And did learn a lot about the new info hotels have on us...from now on. So even if my Ambassador sucks at even doing the minimum service, properties still rocks. Good as at the end of the day, it's the property that make the difference!
Such information would be on the global preferences (or whatever it's called). My ambassador put all that info on there for all properties to look at if they knew where to go to find it.
For example, I told my ambassador that I'm a Scotch person... and many properties I've spoken to told me they could see that in my profile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.