Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preview: New Program’s T&Cs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by xar
Edited Afternote: Realized this is an SPG Thread hence I am sorry i posted Marriott related questions here
It scarcely matters any more. You won. I feel myself being absorbed as we speak...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:16 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by xar
Finally, i can still opt to "stay" in the old program until 31st Dec 2018? All i need to do is not initiate the combine request?
The new program disappears on Aug 18th except for where the new program allows for qualification using the legacy rules and count, but that is still part of the new program rules. On the 18th all legacy accounts in all three programs will migrate to the new program. No member can keep his/her account from being migrated into the new program. After all accounts are migrated and the legacy program's software is no longer available to members, each of us will have the opportunity to merge/combine accounts. Not merging does not leave you in the old program, it just gives you multiple accounts in the new program. Accounts being moved into the new program has nothing to do with someone combining accounts. Marriott is not running four different loyalty programs until the end of the year.
phltraveler and xar like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by xar
This is interesting.
I'm sitting on 45 nights in FY2018 at the moment hence i'm wondering if:
a. I should hold off till after 18th Aug to clock my 5 stays (this should bump me up to the new plat & get the new 5 SNA awards)
or
b. Clock the 5 stays now to get Gold and then get mapped to the new program as a platinum. (But i suppose there is a risk of the 5 SNA awards not being awarded since technically this is the legacy program?)

Finally, i can still opt to "stay" in the old program until 31st Dec 2018? All i need to do is not initiate the combine request?

Thanks.

Edited Afternote: Realized this is an SPG Thread hence I am sorry i posted Marriott related questions here
Working the numbers, if you have 45 combined nights now, you will be Gold under the new program. If you get your 50 nights in before the 18th, yes, you would be Plat once the programs merge. If you cross 50 MPG nights AFTER the new program engages you will be Plat AND can choose the 5 SNA nights. Don't see an advantage of pushing for Plat right now. No issue with merging your accounts or not.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ftrichard

Why is this shocking? The SPG Free Night Award is for a Cat 5 hotel. I have one outstanding from requalifying last year. Cat 5 Hotels go for 12-16k Starpoints depending on the season. So 36-48k Marriott Points. Not wildly out.

I had thought that these outstanding FNAs were going to be converted to new Points rather than remain a FNA which frankly I’d prefer as Points are more flexible. But a replacement 40k FNA is going to be fine for most considering the vastly greater number of hotels to redeem it in. I’ve always redeemed mine at the St. Regis Bangkok.

If if I get this correctly then will we get the option of a FNA at 50 nights (same as now) *and* another at 75?
I would have preferred the FNA was converted to points as well and why a 40K pts cert? A new Cat 5 is 35K and a new Cat 6 is 50K. Unless we are able to combine the cert and points then why not just chop both our legs and bestow a 35K cert?

A for the 50 night choice there is no FNA offered, it's only present on the 75N choice AFAIK.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:45 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
A second distinction between Platinum & Platinum Premiere

4.3.c.ii – Platinum members are not guaranteed a suite upgrade even if suites are available. At The Ritz-Carlton, only Platinum Premier members will be considered for suite upgrades.

Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by damon88

4.3.c.ii – Platinum members are not guaranteed a suite upgrade even if suites are available. At The Ritz-Carlton, only Platinum Premier members will be considered for suite upgrades.

That’s the way the program will be heading IMO.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT

What you are quoting is from the section on Plat benefits and spells out the benefits for Plats and higher. The benefit is the same except, as this states, at the Ritz where Plats never got an UG anyway. Only PP can get an UG at the Ritz, which really doesn't seem like a significant perk that most guests will use and we do not know if reality if anyone will even get UGs at a Ritz since it remains at the hotel's discretion.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
What you are quoting is from the section on Plat benefits and spells out the benefits for Plats and higher. The benefit is the same except, as this states, at the Ritz where Plats never got an UG anyway. Only PP can get an UG at the Ritz, which really doesn't seem like a significant perk that most guests will use and we do not know if reality if anyone will even get UGs at a Ritz since it remains at the hotel's discretion.
As I write this I’m at a suite in a Ritz Carlton where I had never stayed before (in fact, my first stay at the brand) and to which I was upgraded (without my prompting) from a base room on a LNF rate because I’m a MR Plat (status match).

Good thing I’ll be a LTPPE...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:19 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Here is one other Platinum Premier distinction I found:

Outside of the United States, Canada and Europe: Smoking/non-smoking preferences may also be given priority, based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary, and only Platinum Premier Elite Members will have guaranteed priority for their requested type of bed and room.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Here is one other Platinum Premier distinction I found:

Outside of the United States, Canada and Europe: Smoking/non-smoking preferences may also be given priority, based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary, and only Platinum Premier Elite Members will have guaranteed priority for their requested type of bed and room.
And that means nothing. What is "guaranteed priority"? Does that mean "Yes sir, as a Platinum Premier member we value your loyalty and you have guaranteed priority for your King bed non-smoking room. Unfortunately, we only have smoking rooms available with twin beds. Would you like one twin or two twin beds in your room?"

Guarantee my type of bed and room. Don't guarantee my priority!
lbbzman and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:03 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by controller1
And that means nothing. What is "guaranteed priority"? Does that mean "Yes sir, as a Platinum Premier member we value your loyalty and you have guaranteed priority for your King bed non-smoking room. Unfortunately, we only have smoking rooms available with twin beds. Would you like one twin or two twin beds in your room?"

Guarantee my type of bed and room. Don't guarantee my priority!
Though I am generally impressed with Marriott so far in this merger and believe they have made a good faith effort to be fair-- one difference I have noted between SPG and Marriott is that Marriott is more prone to weasel speak. "guaranteed priority" is one of many examples.
controller1 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:38 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Though I am generally impressed with Marriott so far in this merger and believe they have made a good faith effort to be fair-- one difference I have noted between SPG and Marriott is that Marriott is more prone to weasel speak. "guaranteed priority" is one of many examples.
Weasels belong in zoos not hotels.

I’m half impressed with Marriott, the program itself isn’t bad. But the T&C’s, execution and lack of communication have made the whole thing frustrating.

My overall impression is that the whole thing is a half baked effort, there’s literally 0 organization or structure here. They had months to publish stuff yet didn’t, chose a weird date to merge, haven’t been entirely honest, etc.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by GVA
My overall impression is that the whole thing is a half baked effort, there’s literally 0 organization or structure here. They had months to publish stuff yet didn’t, chose a weird date to merge, haven’t been entirely honest, etc.
I don't think a Saturday is that odd of a day. Sunday/Monday check-ins are common, more frequent business travelers will hit several locations in a week (meaning Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday check-ins and check-outs), and you have a lot of Thursday/Friday check-ins for weekend visits. I don't have any raw data (so this might be meaningless guesses), but I'd guess that Saturday provides you with a relatively lower number of check-ins and check-outs, and in a pinch (If the outage of the merge goes longer as expected), gives you Sunday morning/afternoon as overflow time to get things back up before the rush of business travelers arriving sunday night/at some point monday comes.

The other points, I don't really have any comment. Detail has been scant.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by GVA
My overall impression is that the whole thing is a half baked effort, there’s literally 0 organization or structure here. They had months to publish stuff yet didn’t, chose a weird date to merge
Saturday night/Sunday morning often is a preferred window to implement IT migrations and updates.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:26 pm

Has anyone seen language regarding capacity controls on award rooms? Starwood currently allows members to book the last available room in the base category. Marriott not so much. Even with the narrowing definition of "base room", this seems to me a huge benefit of starwood and I worry that this will go away in the combined T&Cs. Dealing with a marriott property right now where plenty of base rooms available but no points rooms available. Very frustrating having been used to the SPG philosophy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.