Preview: New Programís T&Cs

Old Aug 11, 18, 7:36 pm

there are a lot of parts here i don' like
Old Aug 11, 18, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
This is pre-existing.
No, it absolutely is NOT. Marriott is currently the only major chain that grants benefits on any rate, even if booked through an OTA. Currently, the relevant T&C simply says:
Benefits of Elite Membership are reserved for Members only and apply only to the one guest room in which the Elite Member is staying.
Marriott Rewards Terms Elite Benefits

It appears this is changing under the new program. It is a very substantial change.
Old Aug 11, 18, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Ord Liza View Post
Also, adds to list of triggers for canceling membership: " Fraudulently claimed to qualify as a Rewarding Events Professional Meeting Planner to be eligible to earn any of the benefits offered to a Rewarding Events Professional Meeting Planner pursuant to the Loyalty Program...". (Terms for Rewarding Events do not say you have to be a "Professional" meeting planner; terms do, however, exclude certain meeting planners from the Rewarding Events benefits.)
I would guess that any time you do something whose description might fairly include some form of the word fraud, you're at risk of being tossed from the program. Any program.
Old Aug 11, 18, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

F&B at RCs and EDITIONs now appears to earn points
Old Aug 11, 18, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Here's a big one:

Looks like Marriott following the crowd on this one.
This sucks. I have a stay in December booked through an OTA on the assumption that my benefits would apply based on the existing T&C.
Old Aug 11, 18, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by M.dA.R. View Post
F&B at RCs and EDITIONs now appears to earn points
That's a positive.

Unfortunately parking and spa now seem to be excluded on the Marriott side. That's a big loss for those who spend heavy on spa. Though I guess we'll have to see how it actually plays in practice.
Old Aug 11, 18, 9:12 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP SPG PLAT
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
One other benefit that Platinum Preferred Elite's will receive in addition to 75% bonus earnings and the 48 hour guarantee is Guaranteed Room Type outside the US, Canada, & Europe.

vii. Guaranteed Room Type. Guaranteed priority for your requested type of room at the Participating Brands listed below when your qualifying Elite level and specific preference are noted on the reservation for your stay (pillow, room location, extra bed, crib requests, etc. are not included in Guarantee). A Platinum Elite Member or above who makes a reservation on the same day he/she plans to arrive at the property is not eligible to receive the Guaranteed Room Type benefit. Outside of the United States, Canada and Europe: Smoking/non-smoking preferences may also be given priority, based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary, and only Platinum Premier Elite Members will have guaranteed priority for their requested type of bed and room. The Guaranteed Room Type benefit does not cover room upgrades. Guaranteed Room Type is not available at The Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, EDITION, Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Design HotelsTM and participating Vistana properties. Guaranteed Room Type is offered at the following brands: The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Sheraton, Delta Hotels, Le Mťridien, Westin, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, Tribute Portfolio, Gaylord Hotels, Courtyard, Four Points, SpringHill Suites, Protea Hotels, Fairfield, AC Hotels, Aloft, Moxy, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites and Element.

So basically in Asia, where arguably it is needed most, a non smoking room isn't even guaranteed - just potentially "prioritised"? Also no guarantees of anything at any St Regis or Design property? Pretty disappointing
Old Aug 11, 18, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chad75 View Post
So basically in Asia, where arguably it is needed most, a non smoking room isn't even guaranteed - just potentially "prioritised"? Also no guarantees of anything at any St Regis or Design property? Pretty disappointing
Re non/smoking rooms it is no change from how it is done today: https://www.marriott.com/marriott-re...mi#gtdroomtype

"When making a reservation, be sure to note both your Marriott Rewards membership number and room/bed preferences. At locations throughout the U.S. and Canada, we’ll always honor your bed type request. Outside U.S. and Canada, smoking/nonsmoking preferences are honored based on availability; exact bed sizes may vary. If guarantee is not met, guest compensation applies."
Old Aug 11, 18, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA LTPlat; UA Plat; MR LTT; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
The clause on nights is contained within the terms and conditions of the different credit cards (both that they are granted to the member as part of having the active credit card account and that a member can only get to one of them). Section 6 (in non-text form like on Pastebin) links to the terms and conditions of the cards as hosted on the sites of different issuers (Chase, Amex, etc.)

Are we talking past years or present/future years in the merged program? Present/future is defined in section 4.2.b

As to the credit card nights, thanks, but It would be nice if they listed that together with the other means of acquiring nights. The way they've done it leaves it open to conflicting interpretations.

As to past years/present years, Good question. Answer is not clear

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
I would guess that any time you do something whose description might fairly include some form of the word fraud, you're at risk of being tossed from the program. Any program.
Sure, but it is still noteworthy that they feel the need to explicitly list this example in this iteration of the T and C.
Old Aug 11, 18, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
This sucks. I have a stay in December booked through an OTA on the assumption that my benefits would apply based on the existing T&C.
Same here for late September - thankfully it's just one night so it isn't a huge deal but I'd rather have the plat benefits than not obviously.
Old Aug 11, 18, 10:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mag_nate View Post
Same here for late September - thankfully it's just one night so it isn't a huge deal but I'd rather have the plat benefits than not obviously.
Mine is a week, so I have to decide if the benefits are worth cancelling to book direct at higher cost.
Old Aug 12, 18, 1:24 am

3.6.b Points Advance not eligible at SPG properties

So no booking SPG rooms without the points, just like today
Old Aug 12, 18, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The part about benefits only on qualifying rates meant something completely different to me. The first thing I thought of is that there are no benefits on award nights. This is an issue with IC hotels, however the vast majority of IC hotels still give benefits to their top elites on award stays. And the few that don't are shunned by top elites.

So i scanned the "leaked" text (I think it was leaked on purpose so the Internet could give it a solid critique, which is a very good idea) and I don't see anywhere explicitly stated that elites get benefits on award nights. Or did I miss that? I don't think that Marriott will tell any hotel that they should not give benefits on award nights, but unscrupulous hotels could deny award night benefits as these T's and C's do not explicitly give us any award night benefits. Right?

================================================== ================================================

2.7 Foreign Exchange.
The amount of Points earned at Participating Properties where a non-U.S. dollar currency is used will be calculated based on Qualifying Charges converted to U.S. dollar at the exchange rate selected by the Company. This may be the foreign exchange rate used by a Participating Property at check-in, at check-out or another rate selected by the Company and may not be the same rate used for currency conversions on the Member's folio.
I hate this as it gives them the right to establish abusive exchange rates. Amex got sued for this in the US and lost. But that was concerning real money.
JK likes this.
Old Aug 12, 18, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
The part about benefits only on qualifying rates meant something completely different to me. The first thing I thought of is that there are no benefits on award nights. This is an issue with IC hotels, however the vast majority of IC hotels still give benefits to their top elites on award stays. And the few that don't are shunned by top elites.

So i scanned the "leaked" text (I think it was leaked on purpose so the Internet could give it a solid critique, which is a very good idea) and I don't see anywhere explicitly stated that elites get benefits on award nights. Or did I miss that? I don't think that Marriott will tell any hotel that they should not give benefits on award nights, but unscrupulous hotels could deny award night benefits as these T's and C's do not explicitly give us any award night benefits. Right?
The T&C specifically state (ß3.2.h):
An Award Redemption Stay at a Participating Property is considered a Qualifying Stay
Under these T&C, you will get elite benes on an award night. You won't get them on an OTA booked rate, because that is a "Non-Qualifying Rate."

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 12, 18 at 2:31 am
Old Aug 12, 18, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Qualifying Stay is not the same thing as a Qualifying Rate.

Search this Thread