Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How to Use Your Current Travel Package Certificate Prior to 8/18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Use Your Current Travel Package Certificate Prior to 8/18

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by davidsc111
That's not correct. We have been told that there will be no SPG as of the 18th. By virtue of that information, all properties will be eligible for the TP's after that. Absent any specific statement from Marriott to the contrary I don't know why you would say otherwise. They have said all certs will be tied to a set point amount (say 25k or 35k) and will be eligible at every property with standard room availability at those point levels.
We will see...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by khlay
TPs were never available for redemption at an underconstruction building. But once it finised and became under Marriott management, usually it's redeemable. I do think after merge, TP, old or new as long as not expired, should be able to book any Marriott properties, ex-SPG or not.
What a clever analogy.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:16 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I think we've been kind of misled regarding a travel package. When we redeemed for the southwest companion pass the rep told us that if we got the category 1-5 we could upgrade later and extend by a year if needed. I knew we wanted to stay at a Ritz Carlton and the rep said yes we just need to pay the difference (something like 270k points). This was consistent with what I read online. So we went ahead and redeemed.

Extended by a year when it expired (were unable to travel due to my wife's pregnancy). Then we decided to make our trip. We booked the Ritz and the rep told us something like 300k difference which didn't quite make sense but I figure she just did the math wrong. I needed to transfer points from my amex to my spg to my wife's spg then my wife's Marriott account since it was under her name.

We call to confirm the amount a little later and they say they can't upgrade to a Ritz (then why did the first person attach the package to a Ritz reservation?). I do some more searching and it seems like it's a hit or miss thing. We call back and kind of get the same answer except it's mid July and the rep says oh just wait until August when the merger happens and the Ritz won't be on a separate program any more so we can upgrade then. I go ahead and make transfers to my wife's SPG account in anticipation.

Now I read that we won't be able to upgrade?

I've always been a SPG guy and this was my first experience with Marriott. If they are really going to make this big change to existing packages I think I'll be going over to Hyatt much more going forward. Especially after the major SPG Amex devaluation, we will be much better off with ultimate rewards.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by kgkg
Dear Starwood Lurker,

Thanks for keeping us posted. I am sure you are working tirelessly behind the scene to make the transition as smoothly as possible. I hope the rewards program will consider giving us the opportunity to upgrade the certificate. I don’t think we are asking Marriott a favor, instead we are asking for fairness to our fellow members. We do not know how current TP’s categories are mapped to the new categories. It is unfair to ask us members to guess and gamble on the category mapping. You could have released the mapping earlier to give us enough time to plan. However, given the short notice until 8/18 for us to decide, I suggest that the rewards program give us the opportunity to upgrade or downgrade after 9/18. Thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards,
Kevin
Yeah, I'm not sure that this is the approach you want to take when you're asking for something to which you may not be entitled. Here's what your note really says:
Thanks for keeping us posted. We're not asking for a favor; we expect what we think we're entitled to. You could have released the mapping information earlier, but instead, you chose to play games and screw us. I suggest that you correct this.

Best Regards,

Kevin

Originally Posted by AndrewOnTheRoad
Thanks for passing along the info but why has Marriott not contacted me to tell me this information? ... Why did Marriott not communicate this information to me directly?
Do you care more about how and from whom the information got to you, or more about having accurate information?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by entrada
But many of us are long-time Starwood customers and may have purchased Marriott travel packages with the intention of use at a Starwood property. And this is not permitted until after Sept. 18. So unless Marriott allows changes in certificate category Starwood loyalists are really being disadvantaged relative to Marriott members. I think Marriott has done a good job up to now of treating Starwood customers fairly, so I am hopeful they will rethink the travel package guidance and allow at least a one-time adjustment to the legacy certificates.
Me too. This is my first time dealing with Marriott.

Online I transferred my SPG to Marriott, and got confirmation but they didn't show on the website. I called into the Japan line yesterday afternoon to check and make the TP purchase, but the agent was unable to do anything as the system was down.

Then called the USA (early AM there) and after 18 minutes got through.

I cashed in all my SPG and bought my first (and last) travel package (Cat 6, 132,000 UA). At first I thought I might make a booking at a for Starwood property before the 18th, but now I have learned that isn't the case. On the phone the agent was helpful to some extent, but didn't explain that SPG properties were not an option now. She seemed to be telling me a Cat 6 cert would still be Cat 6, but that the properties themselves would change points. At that point I was even more confused and just said OK, hoping for the best.

Since I am not sure when and where I will be going, I am not going to stress about not getting the best deal on a property. My hope is the Cat 6 gets me a Cat 5. Worst case I get a bunch of miles worth perhaps $2,500 , and 7 nights somewhere decent for what I estimate to be about $500. Not bad considering I paid $1500 for the 2/3 of the Starpoints and earned the rest through spending.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by entrada
But many of us are long-time Starwood customers and may have purchased Marriott travel packages with the intention of use at a Starwood property. And this is not permitted until after Sept. 18. So unless Marriott allows changes in certificate category Starwood loyalists are really being disadvantaged relative to Marriott members. I think Marriott has done a good job up to now of treating Starwood customers fairly, so I am hopeful they will rethink the travel package guidance and allow at least a one-time adjustment to the legacy certificates.
Simple, how many points per night will the SPG property you want require in the new program? Upgrade or purchase a MR certificate that is approximately the same number of points.

You know an unattached certificate can be attached to a post August 17th property, including exSPG and have been told at similar value.

If that isn't enough to make an informed decision, then let the chips fall where they may.

I don't buy the belief that you can't upgrade your certificate pre Aug 18th because you don't know how they will map. Forget about mapping old to new, it is the point value that matters. Mapping Apples to Oranges just doesn't work. Not sure how you are disadvantaged. The same holds true for MR members who also want to book an exSPG property.

James
Old Aug 17, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
First time

I am a LT Plat but first time redeeming Hotel and flight package today. I was advised by a KL Marriott customer service agent that there will be no extension of validity after the 1 year. Is this the new rule? Or is the CS agent misinformed?

Also, the 1 year validity period means I should have made the reservation within a year or I should have stayed the 7 nights within the year?

Appreciate any info. Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yeah, I'm not sure that this is the approach you want to take when you're asking for something to which you may not be entitled. Here's what your note really says:

Do you care more about how and from whom the information got to you, or more about having accurate information?
We aren't entitled to it when the agent of Marriott told us it would be an option when we purchased the certificates?
atojbk likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mgchan
I think we've been kind of misled regarding a travel package. When we redeemed for the southwest companion pass the rep told us that if we got the category 1-5 we could upgrade later and extend by a year if needed. I knew we wanted to stay at a Ritz Carlton and the rep said yes we just need to pay the difference (something like 270k points). This was consistent with what I read online. So we went ahead and redeemed.

Extended by a year when it expired (were unable to travel due to my wife's pregnancy). Then we decided to make our trip. We booked the Ritz and the rep told us something like 300k difference which didn't quite make sense but I figure she just did the math wrong. I needed to transfer points from my amex to my spg to my wife's spg then my wife's Marriott account since it was under her name.

We call to confirm the amount a little later and they say they can't upgrade to a Ritz (then why did the first person attach the package to a Ritz reservation?). I do some more searching and it seems like it's a hit or miss thing. We call back and kind of get the same answer except it's mid July and the rep says oh just wait until August when the merger happens and the Ritz won't be on a separate program any more so we can upgrade then. I go ahead and make transfers to my wife's SPG account in anticipation.

Now I read that we won't be able to upgrade?

I've always been a SPG guy and this was my first experience with Marriott. If they are really going to make this big change to existing packages I think I'll be going over to Hyatt much more going forward. Especially after the major SPG Amex devaluation, we will be much better off with ultimate rewards.
You should be able to upgrade to Ritz now for 270,000 MR points. If you know where you want to stay, you may want to try to call again today and attach it.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
We aren't entitled to it when the agent of Marriott told us it would be an option when we purchased the certificates?
Employees do not have the authority to make or alter terms and conditions. If it's not in the written Ts & Cs, if pretty much doesn't exist.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Employees do not have the authority to make or alter terms and conditions. If it's not in the written Ts & Cs, if pretty much doesn't exist.
Which is part of the problem with communication through travel forums and bloggers instead of providing information directly to customers or putting new information in the Terms and Conditions.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
As Marriott hasn't released to new T&Cs all people have to rely upon is the mostly spurious chatter offered by agents. It's impossible to judge what the restrictions will be moving forward unless you're Carnac.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:29 am

The terms and conditions are silent. CSRs are speaking as agents of Marriott Corporation. That is not an inconsequential problem for them.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:18 am

Current Marriott T&Cs. Even the Details are pretty much silent on 7 Night packages other than that you can't get the Air Miles refunded.

Marriott Rewards membership and its benefits are offered at the discretion of Marriott. Marriott and its travel partners have the right, without limitation, to change, limit, modify or cancel Program Rules, regulations, rewards, and reward levels at any time, with or without notice, even though such changes may affect the value of points or miles already accumulated, the ability to use accumulated points or miles, or the ability to obtain certain rewards. Marriott and its travel partners may, among other things:
  • increase or decrease the number of points or miles received for a stay or required for a reward;
  • withdraw, limit, modify, or cancel any reward or category;
  • add blackout dates, limit rooms available for reward redemption at any participating hotel, change or restrict participating hotels, or otherwise restrict the continued availability of rewards;
  • change program benefits, travel partners, locations served by Marriott or its travel partners, conditions of participation, rules for earning, redeeming, retaining, or forfeiting points or miles, or rules governing the use of rewards;
  • change or cancel its travel partner rewards. The accumulation of points or miles does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to points, miles, rewards, or program benefits. In accumulating points or miles, members may not rely upon the continued availability of any reward or reward level.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by GoPhils
You should be able to upgrade to Ritz now for 270,000 MR points. If you know where you want to stay, you may want to try to call again today and attach it.
The package is already attached to a reservation but now I'm thinking the package will just be worth 45k points and I'd have to make up the difference between a regular point stay (420k points) so an extra 100k or so.

Maybe I'll try one more time today, the problem is now that I made a request to transfer points from my SPG to my wife's SPG account for the upgrade on 7/31 and it still hasn't gone through. I could move Ultimate Rewards points over but then I'd have a bunch of left over Marriott points, and that would be a pretty significant devaluation for me (I would rather use the points at a Park Hyatt). It's worth 90k SPG points, but not the 270k UR points.

I get that sometimes the reps don't know all the rules but we got the whole gamut of possibilities--no problem to upgrade, differing upgrade costs, can't upgrade to Ritz, upgrade later after merger, oh but you can't upgrade after the merger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.