Booking Category 8 Hotels Right Now?

Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:02 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by azepine00
i sure hope ambassadors will take a closer look if someone has "10-20" of such reservations without points to back it up...
But if it's the ambassador himself or herself who booked such reservations...
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
Yup, I've got about 15M points.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:27 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by lincoln841
Yup, I've got about 15M points.
This is FT after all so it should not be surprising to read about any fellow FTer trying to squeeze the lemon as much as possible, but personally if I had 15m Starpoints I would not worry too much about booking by blocks of 5 nights in order to get 5th night free. At the redemption rate in effect next week, with 15m Starpoints you could stay at St.Regis Bora Bora for almost three years straight without checking out. I don't think you need to pay for a hotel room any time soon regardless where you book and how many nights you book. Good for you, well done ^

And I thought with 4m Hilton points I was a bit on the heavy side. I will only last 50 days at Conrad Bora Bora
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
3 years at today's rates - but who knows what that will look like in 2019

Originally Posted by escape4
This is FT after all so it should not be surprising to read about any fellow FTer trying to squeeze the lemon as much as possible, but personally if I had 15m Starpoints I would not worry too much about booking by blocks of 5 nights in order to get 5th night free. At the redemption rate in effect next week, with 15m Starpoints you could stay at St.Regis Bora Bora for almost three years straight without checking out. I don't think you need to pay for a hotel room any time soon regardless where you book and how many nights you book. Good for you, well done ^

And I thought with 4m Hilton points I was a bit on the heavy side. I will only last 50 days at Conrad Bora Bora
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:58 am

Has anyone tried to call in and convert an old SPG category 8 to a new Marriott category 7 yet? The way Marriott's handling the rest of this, I have my doubts that the previously made promises will be honored.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by zachary
Has anyone tried to call in and convert an old SPG category 8 to a new Marriott category 7 yet? The way Marriott's handling the rest of this, I have my doubts that the previously made promises will be honored.
Yes once yesterday and once today. Both times I was told that they were unable to modify the reservation on their end and I was asked to call back later - I know they're slammed but I'm stressing a bit on my end because I've got 120k points at stake. They've been nice but remarkably unhelpful.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zachary
My ambassador is working on it for me this week. Will report back.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

My ambassador is working on it for me this week. Will report back.
My ambassador is doing the same, will report once I hear back. RIght now there seem to be issues with all points booking.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by mag_nate
Yes once yesterday and once today. Both times I was told that they were unable to modify the reservation on their end and I was asked to call back later - I know they're slammed but I'm stressing a bit on my end because I've got 120k points at stake. They've been nice but remarkably unhelpful.
I have to admit I tried (and interestingly enough when calling during business hours they cannot even pull the reservation up, but calling off business hours (and judging by the accent connecting to the UK agents) they could pull it up but do nothing with it).

I'm just kicking myself on not trasferring all points to either side, as I could have just duplicate the reservation and not worry about it. But now that transfer is not an option (at least for now) I don't have enough on either side to do it. Lesson learnt.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:00 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I tried the new Marriott/SPG site. Marriott took away the beloved date grid for points redemption so you can't browse to see what days have points redemption available. Why did they do that?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I tried the new Marriott/SPG site. Marriott took away the beloved date grid for points redemption so you can't browse to see what days have points redemption available. Why did they do that?
Because that's how Marriott did it...sadly
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porkie
My ambassador is doing the same, will report once I hear back. RIght now there seem to be issues with all points booking.
I actually tried to do one myself (that had a negligible 1000 point decrease) - all looked good til it asked me to sign in again (after just having signed into the site) and it wouldn't take any username/password combo. So requested that she take that one on too
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by yeunganson
I'm hopeful that this is momentary. It was there yesterday. And today, after not being able to look at month at a glance, I couldn't even bring up specific dates.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Wednesday is the new target date to get the points refund for existing reservations where the amount of points required went down. I would not attempt to do it before then as when reservations are cancelled, the points don't yet go back into the account automatically.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
I'm just kicking myself on not transferring all points to either side, as I could have just duplicate the reservation and not worry about it. But now that transfer is not an option (at least for now) I don't have enough on either side to do it. Lesson learnt.
Managed to combine the account and just create a new reservation. Now to see how to cancel the old reservation who had vanished in the transfer process.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.