book on SPG website = not an eligible rate?

Old Aug 3, 18, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: spg plat100 - lifetime gold / aa exec plat
book on SPG website = not an eligible rate?

So I just spent about 5 weeks at the sheraton vistana villages i-drive in Orlando, over a total of I think 7 or 8 stays.

There are 4 ways I make bookings:
-the spg ap
-the spg website
-my ambassador
-the front desk extends a stay I'm already on.

This accounts for 100% of my bookings with starwoods. I NEVER use third party websites, travel agents or the like.
All of the bookings I made for this summer's stays at the sheraton were done either via the ap, the web site, or one stay I showed up early for and the front desk helped me make new bookings and joined that to my pre-existing booking...

I noticed I got MAGC credits for 1 stay but no spend credit and not elite night credits, and the stay wasnt showing up in my 'past stays' record in my online profile, so I send an email to my ambassador - she checks on it and says it wasnt an eligible rate for stay credit.

Is it possible to make bookings directly with SPG (and NOT associated with any sort of package deal, timeshare promo, etc) and NOT have it be an eligible rate? It wasnt even a special low price either, I paid about $20 a night MORE for the same category room for the stay in question, as I did for the exact same length of stay, one the same days, checking in the week following - and I got credit for that newer, cheaper stay already.

What gives?
Any ideas?
Old Aug 3, 18, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What sort of a rate plan did you use? Was it a mistake rate of some sort? Was it a rate only for friends/family of employees or a travel insdustry rate?

Was this part of a master bill?
Old Aug 3, 18, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What sort of a rate plan did you use? Was it a mistake rate of some sort? Was it a rate only for friends/family of employees or a travel insdustry rate?

Was this part of a master bill?
it was a rate plan any spg member could book by going to the spg web site or using the ap (I dont recall what method I used on this particular booking - but it was one or the other)

it wasnt a freinds / family rate, employee rate, travel industry rate or anything like that. it wasnt part of a group, or travel package.

The only 'special' rate I would ever book is a 'hot escape', and Ive booked dozens of them and was never told they arent illegible rates.

it was just another trip i booked myself, directly through spg, like the last 100 trips. no different in any way shape or form.
Old Aug 4, 18, 4:18 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by stant View Post
it was a rate plan any spg member could book by going to the spg web site or using the ap (I dont recall what method I used on this particular booking - but it was one or the other)

it wasnt a freinds / family rate, employee rate, travel industry rate or anything like that. it wasnt part of a group, or travel package.

The only 'special' rate I would ever book is a 'hot escape', and Ive booked dozens of them and was never told they arent illegible rates.

it was just another trip i booked myself, directly through spg, like the last 100 trips. no different in any way shape or form.
What was the name of this rate plan that any member could book?
Old Aug 4, 18, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What was the name of this rate plan that any member could book?

Where could I find the name of the rate plan (after the fact, ie - now)?
Old Aug 4, 18, 1:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PlatPro 2.2MM; SPG Plat (LTG); Mar Plat; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite
Originally Posted by stant View Post
Where could I find the name of the rate plan (after the fact, ie - now)?
On the email confirmation you received when you made the reservation.
Old Aug 4, 18, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by controller1 View Post
On the email confirmation you received when you made the reservation.
from the email:Rate DetailsSummer 25% Off
Stay At Least 4 Nights And Receive Up To 25% Off!Avg Est
Room Total
per Night*Est Total
for Your Stay*
1 Room, 4 NightsRoom RateUSD
165.75USD
Old Aug 4, 18, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Plat100 AMB (LTPP) / Hyatt*Explorist
Contact the lurkers, checked the property on SPG.com and nothing on the rate plan says the rate is a non-eligible rate. Looks even like a Z4R type of promotion. And Z4R does earn stay/night credits and points.

I'd be pissed too if i didnt get any stay and point credits
stant likes this.
Old Aug 4, 18, 4:12 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold Card holder; UA 1.021MM; SPG/MR Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; WoH Exp
[email protected]
controller1 and stant like this.
Old Aug 4, 18, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG PLT100/LT PLT/PRO, MR LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HY DIA, HH GLD, UA SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis PreferredPlus
There have been reports of "not eligible for SPG night or points credit" on the SPG site, but I think I've heard about them twice in my 15 years here.

Those are Vistana timeshare proerties, which haven't been part of Starwood for several years. I'm not aware that they lost credit granting, but they certainly could have process/technology issues with all of the change.

The research address above, and the Lurkers here, are your best bet.
Old Aug 4, 18, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro 2.2MM; SPG Plat (LTG); Mar Plat; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
There have been reports of "not eligible for SPG night or points credit" on the SPG site, but I think I've heard about them twice in my 15 years here.

Those are Vistana timeshare proerties, which haven't been part of Starwood for several years. I'm not aware that they lost credit granting, but they certainly could have process/technology issues with all of the change.

The research address above, and the Lurkers here, are your best bet.
If one makes a reservation at a Vistana timeshare property via the Starwood or SPG website, night and points credit is given. These are treated as hotel reservations. Those not eligible for night credits are owners making timeshare reservations via the Vistana website or exchangers making reservations through an exchange company. Even those still receive points credits.

Owners are hoping that may change as Marriott Vacation Club members, even after MVC was spun off from Marriott International, have earned night credits for their timeshare stays.
Old Aug 5, 18, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, MR Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Privilege Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've had this happen to me once & i got the same response from my ambassador....it didn't make sense since i had stayed at this particular property multiple times before using the aaa rate & never had a problem getting stay credit....

so i decided to send an email to [email protected] with a copy of my folio & a few days later i had the stay credit & points in my account....
Old Aug 5, 18, 10:15 am
HNS

Programs: Flying Blue, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
I currently have the same issue:

Booked a stay, the rate was the family package (get second room for 50% off) but then plans changed and I gave up the second room. The rate was not discounted, it had the same price as a regular room. I was credited the points but not the nights. Is there a circumstance where you can receive points but not nights (for an ineligible stay)?
I called the support (two times) and the first rep said the rate is ineligible because only one room was paid for (this is not mentioned in the rate rules), the second said the rate is eligible. Just curious which one of the two is it. Currently waiting the reply from research...

Rate details: Starwood Hotels & Resorts | Get 50% off your second room plus kids eat free. Terms & Conditions
Old Aug 5, 18, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SPG PLT100/LT PLT/PRO, MR LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HY DIA, HH GLD, UA SLV, Hertz 5*, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by controller1 View Post
If one makes a reservation at a Vistana timeshare property via the Starwood or SPG website, night and points credit is given. These are treated as hotel reservations.
Which is what I said. OP didn't receive credit, so just stating "night and points credit is given" doesn't really address the problem.
Old Aug 5, 18, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Which is what I said. OP didn't receive credit, so just stating "night and points credit is given" doesn't really address the problem.
I believe I actually clarified your statement that you had heard on FT and they were Vistana. I was trying to agree with you but provide a clarifying response as to when one would receive credit for staying at a Vistana resort and when one would not receive credit for staying at a Vistana resort. Sorry for quoting you as it appears to have hit a nerve.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: