Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged the day before arrival. Standard?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Charged the day before arrival. Standard?

Hello there. So I got Platinum through Marriott, and had not yet stayed in a Starwood property. I have used Hilton, Marriott and Accor in the past (although Accor is the chain I use most for sure) and one thing is that when I purchase the flexible rates through Hilton or Marriott, despite both only being flexible until the day before arrival, no hotel has ever charged me before check-in on a flexible rate. So I thought I would try staying at the Sheraton in Prague, and the day before my arrival, on a flexible until the day before rate, they attempted to charge my card the amount for the room. However, in the rate details it stated that payment would be taken at check in. So at check in, I asked them about this, and the front office supervisor stated that this is standard practise for Sheratons, (though initially she said all hotels, to which I assured her it was not) so I don't know if this really is standard for Sheratons or not. Because honestly, I did not expect it would happen based on the rate conditions. So basically, my question is whether it is a Starwood (or Sheraton) standard to charge your card before your arrival on the flexible rates, as personally, that is not something I am particularly fond of.
Cheers.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They didn't charge you, they pre-authorized your card. Not uncommon, and it's not brand specific (I've had quite a few Marriotts do this).
pvn likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
They didn't charge you, they pre-authorized your card. Not uncommon, and it's not brand specific (I've had quite a few Marriotts do this).
That's exactly what they did. They pre-authorized to ensure the card was valid. If the pre-authorization had not been successful in all likelihood the property would have cancelled the reservation.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Are you talking about the deposit?
​​​​​​Haven't seen a deposit being hold on my card the day before arrival but I'm on a credit card so I don't care. As long as the amount is right when I check out and when I get the bill from my bank.
I could see the deposit being on hold on my card the day before arrival if I'd use mobile check in. Did you use that? With mobile check in you basically confirm your card details in advance.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It isn't even necessarily a deposit. It's simply a hold on the funds required for the stay plus some property-specific daily amount for incidentals. It assures that your CL will cover your bill.

So long as you have a decent CL, this is insignificant. If you are going to travel on a low CL card, makes sure that you call your card issue in advance and ask to make certain that they will grant a temporary increase to cover the hotel.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joakgarp
I could see the deposit being on hold on my card the day before arrival if I'd use mobile check in. Did you use that? With mobile check in you basically confirm your card details in advance.
That's not a deposit. It's a pre-authorization. They don't take the money. They just authorize a charge.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:58 pm

That's not a deposit. It's a pre-authorization. They don't take the money. They just authorize a charge.
Pre authorization IS a deposit. It's the hotel's guarantee for the room charge to see if the customer has enough funds and to secure the room charge.

Last edited by joakgarp; Aug 3, 2018 at 9:11 pm
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
they didnt take the money, but it is held from your credit limit / available funds in the case of a debit card until the authorization drops off or is converted to a charge.

if someone was booking a flexible rate and had to book a room in another hotel I can see how that would be unwelcome.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
I guess I just don't really understand the purpose. If I show up and check in with a card that doesn't have enough funds, they wouldn't give me the room. So how does it do anything for them the day before?
In this instance, it was quite inconvenient for me, as I had informed my bank I would be arriving in Czechia the day that I arrived, and when a charge (particularly a card not present charge) from Czechia went through the day before, the bank decided it was fraud and blocked my card until I called them to sort it out. It just created an unnecessary ordeal and created ill-will with the hotel. Also, between 18:00 the day before and 10:00 the intended day of arrival, they tried to run the card 3 times.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I guess I just don't really understand the purpose. If I show up and check in with a card that doesn't have enough funds, they wouldn't give me the room. So how does it do anything for them the day before?......
Hotel will not be able to resell the room by that time. Also, what if you don't show up? Hotel needs to confirm that you have a valid form of guarantee. It is normal as soon as you passed cancellation period which is usually 24 hours even for flexible rates. You do have a valid complaint if your flexible rate allows same day cancellation until you arrive.
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
......between 18:00 the day before and 10:00 the intended day of arrival, they tried to run the card 3 times.
Sounds like SOP if your cancellation deadline is 18:00 the day prior.

Last edited by TerryK; Aug 4, 2018 at 7:53 am
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:38 am

Pre authorization IS a deposit. It's the hotel's guarantee for the room charge to see if the customer has enough funds and to secure the room charge.
No, it absolutely is not. A deposit means the hotel actually processes the charge and takes possession of the funds (electronically). That's not what a pre-authorization is. The charge is not processed, it is simply authorized. You are confusing two completely different concepts.

Originally Posted by stant
they didnt take the money, but it is held from your credit limit / available funds in the case of a debit card until the authorization drops off or is converted to a charge.
Correct. But that's not a deposit.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:02 am

No, it absolutely is not. A deposit means the hotel actually processes the charge and takes possession of the funds (electronically). That's not what a pre-authorization is. The charge is not processed, it is simply authorized. You are confusing two completely different concepts.
Absolutely not back. You can have a deposit pre authorized and that's what all major hotel chains and rental car companies do.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:48 am
Suspended

A hotel should not in any circumstance do a preauthorization on a credit card if that is not explicitly indicated on the reservation’s terms and conditions.

The typical SPG preferred rate is a no prepayment/no deposit rate. That means that the hotel may only put a charge (if even only a pending charge, that is what a preauthorization is) on the guarantee credit card in the event of a no-show or of a cancellation after the permitted deadline.

A few rogue properties try to preauthorize the cancellation penalty on the day of the cancellation deadline and even earlier than that. This is an abusive business practice unless the guest was explicitly informed of that possibility and agreed to that. In my 900 nights of SPG stays it has only happened to me twice, and both were Desigh Hotels and thus very unfamiliar with SPG practices.

Technically a preauthorization is a charge that is left pending (not finalized) on the cc statement — it bites into one’s credit limit. Once the pending charge is reverted it may take up to a few weeks to get it wiped out of your crefit balance. If you’re like me and book hotels several months ahead you would risk running out of credit if all the properties decided to preauthorize a flexible booking.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:55 am

Absolutely not back. You can have a deposit pre authorized and that's what all major hotel chains and rental car companies do.
It's only a deposit if they process the charge. Until then, it's only an authorization. No matter what it's labeled.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:02 am

It's only a deposit if they process the charge. Until then, it's only an authorization. No matter what it's labeled.
Nop it's not. You can do it both ways. Either charge and confirm or pre authorize. Please read https://www.pivotalpayments.ca/blog/credit-card-processing/everything-you-need-know-about-pre-authorization-transactions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.