Wiki Posts
Search

Gold benefits on redemption stays?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Gold benefits on redemption stays?

I'll be staying in two Starwood properties in Asia next year, one booked with points, one cash. We'll be in Starwood for half of the two week stay.

I'm considering timing signing up for the Platinum Amex before this so I'm gold. I guess a general question is, in people's experience is Starwood Gold actually worth anything? And more importantly, would I get the Gold benefits on the stay booked with points rather than cash? That may sway the decision if not.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Starwood Gold won't exist in about 2 weeks, so you may want to examine the tier and benefits you will receive under the integrated program.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jackcarr
I'll be staying in two Starwood properties in Asia next year, one booked with points, one cash. We'll be in Starwood for half of the two week stay.

I'm considering timing signing up for the Platinum Amex before this so I'm gold. I guess a general question is, in people's experience is Starwood Gold actually worth anything? And more importantly, would I get the Gold benefits on the stay booked with points rather than cash? That may sway the decision if not.
Yes, SPG will be gone by the time of your stay and maybe even before you get it booked, so do look at the new program benefits and see if they fit for you.

However, to answer your question it doesn't matter how you pay for the stay, cash or points, they both get benefits.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The OP needs to check what status level the NEW combined program will assign to AmEx unaffiliated Plat charge card members and the benefits associated with this tier under the new combined program.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The OP needs to check what status level the NEW combined program will assign to AmEx unaffiliated Plat charge card members and the benefits associated with this tier under the new combined program.
I thought we were all getting gold ( which is nto as good as old gold) in the new program if we are plat members? is that correct?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Originally Posted by miadukes
I thought we were all getting gold ( which is nto as good as old gold) in the new program if we are plat members? is that correct?
IIRC, if one is currently Gold Elite solely through the holding of a credit card then that person will be Gold in the new program.
miadukes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.