Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Points-Obsessed Travelers Are Terrified of Losing Perks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points-Obsessed Travelers Are Terrified of Losing Perks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Perhaps ... except that currently a legacy Marriott property will know that they have 1-2 Plat Premiers. Some good GM's and Rooms Managers will be on the lookout for that on advance. As a practical matter, its extremely rare (1 time in the past 200-300 nights) that someone in a legacy Marriott property will notice the M0 ambassador code. And in the legacy SPG world, there is no indication in Lightspeed that allows the hotel to distinguish between Bob -- the two night a month plat -- and someone who does 100+ nights. Of course, there is always the chance that the ambassador will contact the property but that's another thread

the property doesn't know whether someone has an Ambassador unless
My Ambassador never contacts any property for me on my run of the mill stays but I am still getting a suite or jr. suite ~1/2 of the time with SPG (vs. basically bupkus on my ~60 Marriott stays at this point, YMMV). As noted elsewhere properties do get a suggested UG list order each day.

Going forward "Plat Premier" is going to have a very different connotation to legacy Marriott properties than the current "Plat Premier" does. And there are going to be an order of magnitude more people checking in with "Plat Premier" as their status, because they have been renamed.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Going forward "Plat Premier" is going to have a very different connotation to legacy Marriott properties than the current "Plat Premier" does. And there are going to be an order of magnitude more people checking in with "Plat Premier" as their status, because they have been renamed.
Agreed

Hopefully, they add it to Lightspeed which might actually help on the SPG side.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Respectfully disagree. That might be true if I was an "old" platinum but I'm not. I'm going from being "old" platinum premier (sometimes inconsistent but often exceptional) to being a "new" platinum premier with almost certain reduced benefits since it will be more routine. For me, I'm effectively dropping a tier.
Why wouldn’t you qualify for Ambassador? My understanding is that the old Plat Premier was probably harder to qualify for than the new PP w/Ambassador.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by bozacksmith
Not a CC user but like everyone else the check out change is beyond annoying for us that are SPG Platinum but my ..... is around the change in earning stays.
I usually earn SPG platinum through stays and not total nights so the move to nights only with Marriott will be the factor for me moving most of my business around Hilton Diamond.
After hitting lifetime Gold this year my business will drop although I do like how Marriott tracks lifetime stays for credit though.
Nights should make it easier all the way around. Why would the transition to night bother you? You can stay at the same hotel for 10 consecutive nights and each night would be counted separately vs having to move from one hotel to the other to make 10 consecutive nights ten stays. Did I miss something that you meant by this comment?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:34 am
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by booatx

Nights should make it easier all the way around. Why would the transition to night bother you? You can stay at the same hotel for 10 consecutive nights and each night would be counted separately vs having to move from one hotel to the other to make 10 consecutive nights ten stays. Did I miss something that you meant by this comment?
Under old SPG, some travellers stayed 1 night for 25 stays and received platinum status. They were not differentiated from 50 night travellers. Those who qualified for platinum by stays now would only be gold at year end with the same number of nights.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by BonViveur

Under old SPG, some travellers stayed 1 night for 25 stays and received platinum status. They were not differentiated from 50 night travellers. Those who qualified for platinum by stays now would only be gold at year end with the same number of nights.
There was some differentiation. SPG50 got SNAs.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BonViveur

WRONG. Those who earned SPG Plat with 50 nights got SNAs while those who only had 25 (or more) stays and less than 50 nights did not.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I deeply dislike sone properties like Sheraton Hua Hin or Keraton Indonesia dropping club lounge access for plats as rules say resorts and LC don't have to provide loungr access.

Originally I had read the wording as a way for LCs and resorts not to be forced to have CLs. I did not expect properties to take away access.

Many props taking away points and breakfast (like Le Meridien Bangkok) which I expected. But not CL.
Anyone know if Plaza Athenee LC still offering CL access.

I considrt it poor showing
estnet likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:53 pm

Keraton is not providing Club Lounge access for Plats now?
What is LM Bangkok doing now? Breakfast OR points?

Originally Posted by SHLTP
I deeply dislike sone properties like Sheraton Hua Hin or Keraton Indonesia dropping club lounge access for plats as rules say resorts and LC don't have to provide loungr access.

Originally I had read the wording as a way for LCs and resorts not to be forced to have CLs. I did not expect properties to take away access.

Many props taking away points and breakfast (like Le Meridien Bangkok) which I expected. But not CL.

Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:04 pm

LM Bangkok breakfast or points
LC Keraton club lounge or breakfast
sheraton Hua Hin not giving plats club access
LC Naka told me only upgrade one level up and never to villa anymore but that perhaps is YMMV.

But in general I see downwrd pressure from Marriott on benefits towards standardization.

Props often went above brand standards for plats but that practice seems to be curbed.

What is the point of loyalty?

I have said for years starwood was too generous (I benefitted) and I see Marriott cutting down. I can't blame them. Financially they are probably right but I will not be as loyal. Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-La, Peninsula type chains will get more of my spending.

Anyone know good loyalty program for high end smallet props or chains? I have never used Amex FHR but maybe time to get plats card?!
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The sheer numbers of Starriott Plats and LTPs since the merger might be causing some of these hotels not to offer lounge access (and certain other previous benefits) to Plats now if they're not required to do so. However, they might well decide to continue lounge access and some of these other benefits for PPs/LTPPs/Ambassadors.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:44 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I deeply dislike sone properties like Sheraton Hua Hin or Keraton Indonesia dropping club lounge access for plats

Is Sheraton HH also dropping lounge access to PP and Plat+Amb? Or only Plat?

Athenee still offers lounge access to Plat.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:05 am

Thank you on Athenee. I do not know on access by plats, ppe, ltp, mbassador etc. I am led to believe of the table but not sure by property.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:05 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
@SHLTP: the only change at Athenee is that going forward it is points OR breakfast rather than points AND breakfast. If you intend to have breakfast in the lounge then you pick the points and it is of no consequence.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:10 am

Thank you. I expected them to get rid of points and breakfast... Unfortunate but no biggie. At least can still have CL and breakfast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.