Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mobile Check-in Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Super Elite, Priority Club Platinum Elite,
Originally Posted by Grog
Your expectation that an employee should accept beratement and be forced to humiliate his or herself to speak against their employer is a bit much. Not that I haven't done it, but I've never been proud of myself afterward. You already interrupted other guests and then decided on your own to wait the 25 minutes. There's no value in badgering a front desk clerk into submission? Especially being a Platinum, I would instead use the resources made available to complain both to the hotel manager and to Starwood, rather than beating up on the smallest of employees for something completely out of their control. My two cents.
I didn’t “badger” anyone into “humiliation”.i think you’re being very dramatic in your characterization.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Super Elite, Priority Club Platinum Elite,
Originally Posted by bobnchi
For Marriott, we arrived in the Sydney CBD at 9am and knowing the room would not be available, did the usual and dropped the bags off at the front desk. The FDA asked if we had the mobile app, which we did, and said to check in and that we would be notified when our room was ready. We went out to explore a bit and sure enough around 1130am we were notified via the app that the room was ready. Returned and in 30 seconds were up to our room. We probably could have checked in while in the airport and gotten the room earlier, but still, no complaints!
Now there’s some value!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Yep, op's behaviour is embrassing. Hope he didn't get a room upgrade.
Regarding mobile check in, let's say it has potential. Will probably be something very good within 1-2 years with Marriott. As it is now, it's only good for the hotel to know when I'll show up and check out so they can plan accordingly.
You’ll be delighted to know I had a large corner suite and a bottle of wine with a fruit plate. Don’t strain your eyes while rolling them ��
seat38a and chemengin like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Just because you're rude and think nothing of it doesn't make it right.
It's great that you could've equivalently quoted my post and said others are rude, but you chose to make your reply into a personal attack and call me rude.

Back to the point though, you need to stop to consider whether you are playing by rules that don't exist.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
And all this time I just thought mobile check in was a scam to *not* give you an upgrade...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by msp3
And all this time I just thought mobile check in was a scam to *not* give you an upgrade...
How is this scam supposed to work?

Nothing about the mobile check in process precludes the time-honoured stride to the front desk for a screaming DYKWIA row.

On the other hand, I quite like seeing my room upgraded before I arrive or at least - as was the case at the JW HK - being prepared to ask successfully if they actually had any suites available.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:57 am

Wow. I've never tried the app, but I thought the whole point was to skip the desk with some sort of digital NFC key.

If there was some deeply entrenched corporate-wide policy that between your mobile check-in and physical check-in (regardless of desk) that they would snag the best room available for you, I would be interested.

The whole SPG/Marriott upgrade world seems a little off to me. Airlines and car rental co's can manage to confirm or at least waitlist upgrades, not just consider them when at the gate. After all, you're not getting a refund the morning of your stay if you decide to cancel.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Mobile check in doesn't automatically upgrade you to the best available room though. Used Mobile check in for a Sheraton property. Checked in at 1Am and was upgraded from base room to a club room. However when I looked on the App i could see there was a suite available. So I asked the FDA about it if I could get upgraded and so he did. I knew the suite was available when I used mobile check.
Mobile check in would have been great if I'd have gotten the suite in the first place without asking FD.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Dubosc
There was the platinum check in line, but as in most properties, it was simply symbolic and served no actual purpose.
If there was a Platinum check-in line, why didn't you go stand there instead of waiting 25 minutes in the general line? You should have been taken as the next customer, or the sourpuss should have called for another agent to come out.

As to the SPG mobile app - it's useless, we all know it, and there is no sense in bothering a rank and file employee at a likely franchise property who could really care less. It's like complaining to a McDonalds cashier about the McRib being a limited time offer.
Grog likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
It's like others say - the sole purpose of the app is to signal intentions about check-in time to the FD. That's it.

Any upgrade showing in the reservation details is indicative rather than actual. I found this out when I booked into an Eastern European Sheraton with my app showing a Suite upgrade. When I got to the FD there was a Russian couple who had turned up out of the blue (no advance booking) and wanted to pay for a suite (money no object). The FD clerk duly sold them the Suite I had been 'upgraded' to as when I checked in he explained that I no longer had the Suite but a Deluxe room. Yes, he even told me that the Suite my app had previously shown had just been sold to the Russian couple, so that is why I ended up with the Deluxe (so bonus points for honesty, at least). I checked into the Deluxe while my SPG app continued to show a Suite in the reservation details for the duration of the stay.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Mobile check in doesn't automatically upgrade you to the best available room though. Used Mobile check in for a Sheraton property. Checked in at 1Am and was upgraded from base room to a club room. However when I looked on the App i could see there was a suite available. So I asked the FDA about it if I could get upgraded and so he did. I knew the suite was available when I used mobile check.
Mobile check in would have been great if I'd have gotten the suite in the first place without asking FD.
I don't think anything to do with the app is automatic. It's all processed manually by the FD. Your experience of the standard upgrade to Club Room that was bumped up to a Suite when requested is to do with that hotel's policies for Platinums. I had exactly the same experience at the JW in Hong Kong.

Whatever the app says and whatever you're offered at check in, you can always ask if a suite is available and it's up to the hotel's policies and intransigence if they give it to you without too much of a standing argument. Nothing to do with the app.

As we know, the app appears to do very little in reality except send a notification to the hotel that you will turn up at a particular time. I use it all the time and must save up to two minutes checking in to some properties because they've got the key ready already.

Even the room upgrade notification is something you can check on the app without mobile checking in by looking at the room type in your reservation information in the run up to arrival. Most times the upgraded room will show there already if the hotel has an SPG champion who checks for Platinum reservations each day and allocates you in advance rather than leaving it to the discretion of the FD.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
As to the SPG mobile app - it's useless, we all know it, and there is no sense in bothering a rank and file employee at a likely franchise property who could really care less. It's like complaining to a McDonalds cashier about the McRib being a limited time offer.
How much less could they care?
clublounger and Dubosc like this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
I’ve noticed when checking in via app that I don’t have to dip a credit card or sign the PIN pad. Additionally, because they don’t have my signature, it (my signature) doesn’t show up on the folio.

This certainly can’t be the “point” of mobile check-in, but it’s a side benefit that I like.

Cheers,
LBBZman
controller1 likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lbbzman
I’ve noticed when checking in via app that I don’t have to dip a credit card or sign the PIN pad. Additionally, because they don’t have my signature, it (my signature) doesn’t show up on the folio.

This certainly can’t be the “point” of mobile check-in, but it’s a side benefit that I like.

Cheers,
LBBZman
Correct. As I stated earlier, if one uses mobile check-in one only has to present a credit card if they wish to charge their room to a card different than the one on file for the reservation. It does speed the process a little.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
Correct. As I stated earlier, if one uses mobile check-in one only has to present a credit card if they wish to charge their room to a card different than the one on file for the reservation. It does speed the process a little.
That's a pretty nice feature actually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.