Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TerryK
Let me ask this: is there any benefit to keep two separate accounts until year end? I assume all will be merged next year anyway.
Let me say this: There's no need to figure out this stuff now. There's almost 5 months between now and year end, and a lot of things will be figured out between now and then that are only guesses now.

Why make a decision now based on guesses when there's no harm in waiting until more facts are in?

(Yes, there are lot more facts now than back in April, but there will be even more facts, after Aug 18, after we see what the new website[s] actually show[s], for example.)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 1PMM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Stays over the 18th

What happens to people who are in the middle of a stay on the 18th? Consider the case of someone with 40 Marriott nights and 10 SPG nights, who checks into a Marriott/Starwood on Aug 17, with a checkout date of Aug 20, and with no status from last year. So that person would be Marriott Silver and Starwood SIlver at checkin time. On Aug 18 (or whenever the systems come up again), the person combines the accounts, and, with 50 combined nights, is now Platinum in the new program.

Does that person get guaranteed 4pm checkout on the 20th?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by ben-y
What happens to people who are in the middle of a stay on the 18th? Consider the case of someone with 40 Marriott nights and 10 SPG nights, who checks into a Marriott/Starwood on Aug 17, with a checkout date of Aug 20, and with no status from last year. So that person would be Marriott Silver and Starwood SIlver at checkin time. On Aug 18 (or whenever the systems come up again), the person combines the accounts, and, with 50 combined nights, is now Platinum in the new program.

I think you should discuss this with the hotel directly on August 18 after you've been the first in the world to bravely combine your accounts and have your new (combined) Platinum status resplendently showing on the new (combined) SPG app. Only nine days to go...

I think your case is no different to, for example, someone who checks in with 48 nights (Gold) for a four-night stay and technically qualifies as Platinum during that stay after the second night. The status will not show up until the stay's nights have posted after check out. In such a case, I'd guess it's up to the hotel to grant you Platinum benefits on the 3rd and 4th night. Good luck with that, eh.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver

Surely this is one of the few cases where it's within the member's interests to merge accounts asap. Likewise those who will get a boost towards LTP or LTPP. I have seven years platinum with SPG and two with Marriott and plan to merge around one week after 18th assuming there are no major issues being reported by others on here.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat

My question is similar: I check-in on the 16th for a 4-nights stay at a JW Marriott Resort. Originally I booked this knowing the new program will start on August 1st and breakfast will be free under the new rules (while it isn‘t at any resorts under the current Marriott rules).

Now it looks like the later start of the new program somehow cheats me out of my breakfast. That is... underwhelming but maybe a friction in all the process I have to deal with.

But do you think the property has to grant me free breakfast in the morning of 18th, 19th and 20th? Or are the benefits depending on the date of check-in?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by LennartH
But do you think the property has to grant me free breakfast in the morning of 18th, 19th and 20th? Or are the benefits depending on the date of check-in?
I would have thought so, but they have to be able to see in their system that you are Platinum. Firstly you will need to merge your accounts, which I suspect you won't be able to do until the 19th (or at least after the down time on the 18th), and then your status has to update which may take 24 hours.

But if you can see that you are Platinum on the 19th then discuss it with the hotel.

However I'd budget for paying for breakfast!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LennartH

Why don't you bring a print out of your SPG and Marriott accounts in case it takes a while to complete the integration, or the data is incorrect?

I suggest everyone should take a screenshot of their accounts a few days before the 18th.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, HH DIA, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by minz56
I would have thought so, but they have to be able to see in their system that you are Platinum. Firstly you will need to merge your accounts, which I suspect you won't be able to do until the 19th (or at least after the down time on the 18th), and then your status has to update which may take 24 hours.

But if you can see that you are Platinum on the 19th then discuss it with the hotel.

However I'd budget for paying for breakfast!
Well, they will probably see my status at the time of booking and at the time of check-in that both IS Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite. So, my question was not THAT similar, I am already Marriott Platinum (via SPG Platinum).
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Generally, mid-stay status changes do not apply. Your status at check in should prevail for the duration of your stay. This is just like a previous stay that would have put you over a tier threshold but not posted before your check in at the next property. That's what you should expect. Now, is a property bound by that? No. That weekend is going to be traumatic for many, members and properties. I seriously doubt lounge access will be taken away from those that were entitled when they checked in. Upgrades probably won't be pulled mid-stay (nor should they be denied pending the change over). Properties are allowed to go above and beyond the T&Cs should they choose. Building a personal relationship by frequenting a particular property very well can get you much more than by just being a program member.

I do hope they don't hit any major snags with the conversion, but Prudence says it may be wise to hold off to see how things go (and she is usually right).
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Prudence says it may be wise to hold off to see how things go (and she is usually right).
is she a new member of the Lurker team?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: UA GS / 1MM, MR Ambassador / LTTE, Hertz Platinum
So current SPG member here. A couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to get Lifetime Platinum Premiere as a Starwood member if you hit 10 years and 750 nights combined?

If so, right now I have the following:

SPG: 8 years Platinum 574 nights
Marriott: 85 nights and 0 years platinum

I will get one more year this year as platinum.

My question is that If I were to book 100 night lets say and find a way to get platinum this year as well. Would that give me 750 nights and 9 years plat on SPG and 1 year Plat on Marriott? If so maybe I would spend the extra $2,000 or $3,000 to get the lifetime PP status.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Parikh1234
So current SPG member here. A couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to get Lifetime Platinum Premiere as a Starwood member if you hit 10 years and 750 nights combined?

If so, right now I have the following:

SPG: 8 years Platinum 574 nights
Marriott: 85 nights and 0 years platinum

I will get one more year this year as platinum.

My question is that If I were to book 100 night lets say and find a way to get platinum this year as well. Would that give me 750 nights and 9 years plat on SPG and 1 year Plat on Marriott? If so maybe I would spend the extra $2,000 or $3,000 to get the lifetime PP status.
You're a bit late to the game...

In reality you would only need 50 MR nights to qualify for gold = 1 additional "Plat" year in the combined program. But since you're 91 nights short in your case, that doesn't matter.

Best option in your case would be to get 10 EQN per meeting with Rewarding Events. You have until the 17th to get your 9 meetings completed:

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by RafKa
Best option in your case would be to get 10 EQN per meeting with Rewarding Events. You have until the 17th to get your 9 meetings completed:

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required
The 17th is not a known limit yet. We haven't seen the full T&Cs yet and the website really hasn't changed in many years regarding 10 nights with your first event taking you to Silver and we know that multiple meetings earn 10 nights each. If the risk tolerance is high enough, you can sweat it out to see how things develop and do your meetings after the merger of the programs, but they will need to be in legacy MR properties.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by mbd4524
Thanks for your reply. I am seeing conflicting reports on this and I have actually been told explicitly by SPG/MR rep that lifetime nights would be combined to achieve lifetime plat in 500 nights. I don't either see from the link you sent clearly one way or another.
You cannot combine nights from the two programs and still qualify under the legacy rules. If you need to combine nights you will need to qualify under the new rules which will require 600 nights for LTP. 500 nights still puts you at LTG in the new program. There are specific rules for LTPP which allow combining nights but these are under the new rules, not the legacy rules, and would not apply to your situation as those require 750 nights. It sounds like the CSR is confusing the two different rules.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You cannot combine nights from the two programs and still qualify under the legacy rules. If you need to combine nights you will need to qualify under the new rules which will require 600 nights for LTP. 500 nights still puts you at LTG in the new program. There are specific rules for LTPP which allow combining nights but these are under the new rules, not the legacy rules, and would not apply to your situation as those require 750 nights. It sounds like the CSR is confusing the two different rules.
One potential exception being Lurker's claim that 2M MR points with 750 combined nights would qualify.

[mine]
CJKatl likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.