Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by stant
For those of us hoping to get 15 suite night awards this year, would the date to pay attention to be aug 18th then for crossing the 75 night threshold? Come aug 2nd I'll have 72 nights. Should I maybe cross over to the dark site with a stay or two at marriot properties, or would that contribute to my 75 night total regardless and possibly make me pork myself out of 5 extra SNAs?
I assume you already have 50 nights - and have chosen the 10 SNA'S for this year, correct?

Personally, I'd go dark at 72 - and wait until after Aug 18 to stay at Starwood/Marriott). Then after Aug 18, complete your stays to get to 75 and you should receive another option for 5 more SNAs. This is just my understanding, ymmv.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
How can everyone be moved the new program and yet be able to (a) earn Starwood old-Platinum (not Marriott) elite status by doing 25 stays before Dec 31 (not Aug 18), and (b) qualify for legacy Marriott Lifetime Rules (using lifetime points) until Dec 31 (not Aug 18), if the legacy programs really completely disappear on Aug 18? Something does not add up. Some vestige of the legacy programs in some form must continue for these two things (promised by Marriott and/or by StarwoodLurker) to be possible until Dec 31.

Now, they could move legacy trackers from both legacy programs into one new platform, so this does not prove that the platforms must stay separate, but at the very least counters of annual/lifetime status from the different programs have to maintained separately somewhere until the end of the year, and so at least in that sense the two legacy programs are continuing to some degree until the end of the year.
This level of detail has not been released. Everyone, me included, is inferring what is going to happen by the bits and pieces of what we have been told and what others have speculated. I'm sticking with my prediction that if you want to earn status under the legacy programs, then do not merge your accounts to keep everything separated. What's the advantage of merging the accounts earlier? If you reach your goals in October, of the merged status is better for you, merge then.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
This level of detail has not been released. Everyone, me included, is inferring what is going to happen by the bits and pieces of what we have been told and what others have speculated. I'm sticking with my prediction that if you want to earn status under the legacy programs, then do not merge your accounts to keep everything separated. What's the advantage of merging the accounts earlier? If you reach your goals in October, of the merged status is better for you, merge then.
I believe qualification under the legacy rules will not depend on whether the accounts are merged or not. Marriott has made it clear one can qualify under the legacy rules and has not ever indicated that would not count if one merged accounts which would obviously be mentioned if it was a qualification parameter. Nonetheless, unless you get some benefit from merging waiting hurts nothing and lets you avoid any potential glitches.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I believe qualification under the legacy rules will not depend on whether the accounts are merged or not. Marriott has made it clear one can qualify under the legacy rules and has not ever indicated that would not count if one merged accounts which would obviously be mentioned if it was a qualification parameter. Nonetheless, unless you get some benefit from merging waiting hurts nothing and lets you avoid any potential glitches.
Yes, there has been nothing specific either way. However, I remember tripping across a web page where they were addressing the events for the 18th and somewhere there was a statement about not merging your accounts IF you want to earn under legacy rules. I have not been able to find that page again and I am hoping it was not a delusion on my part. I will absolutely post the link if I find it again.

Staying put is expected to not cause any harm. Even if you need MR points to book a SPG room, that can be done with your MR account (caution if you need SPG credit for that room). January can not come fast enough, for many reasons!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I assume you already have 50 nights - and have chosen the 10 SNA'S for this year, correct?

Personally, I'd go dark at 72 - and wait until after Aug 18 to stay at Starwood/Marriott). Then after Aug 18, complete your stays to get to 75 and you should receive another option for 5 more SNAs. This is just my understanding, ymmv.
Perhaps that result might also be accomplished
by merging the SPG account into the MR account, which would then hit 75 nights and set off the choice of benefits.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

Perhaps that result might also be accomplished
by merging the SPG account into the MR account, which would then hit 75 nights and set off the choice of benefits.
Caution here, The Lurker has stated that if your combined account starts with 75+ nights they you would not get the 75 night award of SNAs or a gift. I see this fraught with issues and hope MPG is gearing up to manually address corner cases.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Caution here, The Lurker has stated that if your combined account starts with 75+ nights they you would not get the 75 night award of SNAs or a gift. I see this fraught with issues and hope MPG is gearing up to manually address corner cases.
Sucks of us who post-merge will have 100+ nights...can't imagine I will get zero SNAs out of all of this. Of course I only have myself to blame for 60 of those nights
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Sucks of us who post-merge will have 100+ nights...can't imagine I will get zero SNAs out of all of this. Of course I only have myself to blame for 60 of those nights
Keep reading, I'm sure there will be a few that will call in to see how to get at least 5 SNAs. Let them do the dirty work and hope they will post their experience. Who knows, it might be as simple as posting a missing stay requesting the SNAs. MPG will be in scramble mode for a few weeks, so patience is best.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Agreed. My understanding (and thus advice) is to get over 50 nights pre Aug 18. But do not go over 75 nights pre Aug 18. Then - after merger (give it a few days or so) then you can merge and then go over 75 which should culminate in the add'l 5 SNAs. This is just my understanding - I'm not a lurker, so ymmv. But this is what I am currently doing.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Yes, there has been nothing specific either way. However, I remember tripping across a web page where they were addressing the events for the 18th and somewhere there was a statement about not merging your accounts IF you want to earn under legacy rules. I have not been able to find that page again and I am hoping it was not a delusion on my part. I will absolutely post the link if I find it again.
I believe something to this effect was posted on the TPG site. But if I recall correctly, the Starwood Lurker says the opposite, that legacy requirements can be met regardless of merging.

EDIT: Found it - https://thepointsguy.com/news/tasks-...d-spg-combine/
"If a member waits to combine their accounts until after 8/18 and achieves the same Elite status in both Rewards and SPG before the end of 2018, it will count as two years toward corresponding Lifetime status."

Last edited by Saidoh; Jul 30, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: Source citation
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Saidoh
I believe something to this effect was posted on the TPG site. But if I recall correctly, the Starwood Lurker says the opposite, that legacy requirements can be met regardless of merging.

EDIT: Found it - https://thepointsguy.com/news/tasks-...d-spg-combine/
"If a member waits to combine their accounts until after 8/18 and achieves the same Elite status in both Rewards and SPG before the end of 2018, it will count as two years toward corresponding Lifetime status."
Sufficient confusion still (I absolutely trust the Lurkers, but not their sources), so waiting to merge your accounts is probably wise. Everyone should review what has been released (and not just FT postings) and decide what's right for them. To me there needs to be a pretty compelling reason to do the merge sooner than later. We are used to managing two different accounts already, the fact they are on the same system shouldn't be that difficult.
Saidoh likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Agreed. My understanding (and thus advice) is to get over 50 nights pre Aug 18. But do not go over 75 nights pre Aug 18. Then - after merger (give it a few days or so) then you can merge and then go over 75 which should culminate in the add'l 5 SNAs. This is just my understanding - I'm not a lurker, so ymmv. But this is what I am currently doing.
As I posted in another thread but no one seems to agree that if someone is currently over 75 nights in an SPG account when the "One Progam" kicks in the 75 night gift option should happen for that account. The member is losing the SPG75 account benefits so it should be replaced with the PP benefits including the gift option.

Last edited by HHonors OUTSIDER; Jul 30, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Uneducated question.....

Apologies for my lack of knowledge around hotel programs vs airlines, so please no flames .....

I am currently at a combined 49 nights (34 SPG, 15 MR) with no nights planned prior to 8/18. Would it behoove me to do a "night run" for 1 night prior to 8/18 to be at 50 at changeover? Or it doesn't matter? I will most likely not get to a combined 75 for the entire year (remotely possible), and my overall goal is just to achieve plain Plat for 2019, add another year of Plat (7 or 8) towards my 10 consecutive -- to ultimately get to LT (plain) Plat in a couple of years.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Apologies for my lack of knowledge around hotel programs vs airlines, so please no flames .....

I am currently at a combined 49 nights (34 SPG, 15 MR) with no nights planned prior to 8/18. Would it behoove me to do a "night run" for 1 night prior to 8/18 to be at 50 at changeover? Or it doesn't matter? I will most likely not get to a combined 75 for the entire year (remotely possible), and my overall goal is just to achieve plain Plat for 2019, add another year of Plat (7 or 8) towards my 10 consecutive -- to ultimately get to LT (plain) Plat in a couple of years.

Thanks in advance!
No advantage and could be a problem. It's been reported that you must CROSS 50 & 75 to get the SNAs. Merging your accounts with 50 or more may prevent you from getting anything. Also, you will need 25 SPG stays, 50 SPG nights, or 75 MR/combined nights to hit Plat for 2019.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Really getting more confused the more I read.

As of Aug 10 I will be at:

SPG: 49 nights
MR: 25 nights.

As I read if I get the one more night and get 50 SPG before Aug 18 - I may or may not get the option of 10SNA. Also I get the one extra night then at merge time I will be 75 and get no SNA as well.

The web page https://www.spgpromos.com/50nightsbenefit for selecting the benefits at 50 nights now shows the below which leads me to believe no chance of the 10SNA anymore.... What strategy to take?

Coming soon

MEMBERS WITH AT LEAST 50 ELIGIBLE NIGHTS CAN CHOOSE THEIR BENEFIT.

We'll unveil our Annual Choice Benefits and invite eligible members to select the new benefit that suits them best.

We'll send eligible members all the details as soon as the new options are available. In the meantime, keep booking and staying.

Last edited by yyzlhr; Jul 31, 2018 at 2:01 am Reason: link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.