Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / AA CK baby!
For those of us hoping to get 15 suite night awards this year, would the date to pay attention to be aug 18th then for crossing the 75 night threshold? Come aug 2nd I'll have 72 nights. Should I maybe cross over to the dark site with a stay or two at marriot properties, or would that contribute to my 75 night total regardless and possibly make me pork myself out of 5 extra SNAs?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Given they are taking the central worldwide system down (properties exempted) on the 18th EDT until they are ready to let us in, your only hope will be to call the property to see if they are willing/able to book a stay. I doubt the CSRs will have a functioning system to make any reservations. And if the the property delegates all reservations to central, nothing to happen then either.

Personally, I'd be scrambling to make whatever reservations I need that week right now! Get them into the system and to the properties as early as possible and SAVE all screenshots/confirmations as they happen. Everything else to wait until the first reports come back as to how the system is doing.
i have booked my stay, but some of the property will have significants points savings
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:46 am

Amex platinum

I have just tried to transfer Amex Membership Rewards points to SPG starpoints but the link is not active (this is happening in the Spanish Membership Rewards page).

Does anyone have more info about this? If it’s just temporary?

Thanks!!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Anyone know a way of getting AMEX MR points into SPG before the 4th August ?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by lingua101

i have booked my stay, but some of the property will have significants points savings
There have been posts that you may be able to call in and get the stay reduced to the new point requirements. They gotta cut over sometime. You get to decide what's more important, having a room or spending less in points. Both may be possible, but not automatically.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by khabah
What I gather from the Lurkers and my own interpretation of the new program rules is that as of 8/18:
2. Our 11-digit SPG numbers will be replaced with new 9-digit numbers consistent with MR's system rules and that down the line/between those of us who have pre-existing MR numbers, we can select which number we want to work with going forward.
And those of us with 9-digit SPG numbers apparently will also receive a new number!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by controller1
And those of us with 9-digit SPG numbers apparently will also receive a new number!
And if your SPG number matches an MR number? The best approach for them to take is modify all SPG numbers to be in a range of their own, say 6xxxxxxxx (if that doesn't collide with existing numbers). That way there are no collisions and it's easy to identify SPG numbers vs MR numbers (for whatever reasons this might help). I can see preference being given to MR members and given the root MR system will survive this merger, it makes sense to me. I just hope all the external systems (AMEX, airlines, Chase, etc.) know to make this change and no SPG postings end up in an MR account by mistake.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Well we know conclusively that is not correct. One can qualify on legacy rules SPG or MR through end of year.
We do not know that at all. We know that you can qualify under multiple paths, one of which is a brand new path that is basically some subset of the legacy SPG rules, but not the whole thing. For one, the three stays per night rule has been explicitly eliminated.

One set of rules, multiple paths. Just like it's always been for both the current MR and SPG programs.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:52 am
Suspended

Current SPG reservation numbers also overlap with MR reservation numbers. Will new numbers be assigned to existing SPG reservations ?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

Current SPG reservation numbers also overlap with MR reservation numbers. Will new numbers be assigned to existing SPG reservations ?
My guess is there will be no overlap of your membership number and reservation number. Heaven only knows what will happen with reservations once your merge your accounts. I suspect there will be a conversion at that time. But I haven't seen anything addressing that issue yet.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
We do not know that at all. We know that you can qualify under multiple paths, one of which is a brand new path that is basically some subset of the legacy SPG rules, but not the whole thing. For one, the three stays per night rule has been explicitly eliminated.

One set of rules, multiple paths. Just like it's always been for both the current MR and SPG programs.
"One set of rules, multiple paths" is very different from your original claim (that I disputed) that "It will be one program with one set of rules."
controller1 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:00 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

They can probably allocate a letter or number in front of existing SPG reservation numbers or have a new marriott reservation number allocated to existing reservations automatically.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CJKatl
The CSRs clearly misunderstand what is happening. CSRs have been a wealth of misinformation since April. Again, how do you think Marriott is going to run the legacy program if the points are awarded and spent in the new program, the website and app are moved into the new program and status levels are only recognized in the new program? It has been mentioned that the CSRs will be using the two different systems for now, but both systems are being moved to the new program. The CSR will need to figure in which system each guest;s information is in, but 18SPG legacy program itself ends on Aug 18th at 6:00 am. The marketing materials are very clear. CSRs do not run the company.

Sorry, but the clear marketing materials that go into detail on what changes will automatically happen on Aug 18 and letting members know after the changes they should combine their accounts leave zero room for the CSR to be right. Combining accounts, which despite your earlier post has not happened yet, takes place after all the accounts have been moved into the new program so not merging will be irrelevant to your being moved into the new program,
How can everyone be moved the new program and yet be able to (a) earn Starwood old-Platinum (not Marriott) elite status by doing 25 stays before Dec 31 (not Aug 18), and (b) qualify for legacy Marriott Lifetime Rules (using lifetime points) until Dec 31 (not Aug 18), if the legacy programs really completely disappear on Aug 18? Something does not add up. Some vestige of the legacy programs in some form must continue for these two things (promised by Marriott and/or by StarwoodLurker) to be possible until Dec 31.

Now, they could move legacy trackers from both legacy programs into one new platform, so this does not prove that the platforms must stay separate, but at the very least counters of annual/lifetime status from the different programs have to maintained separately somewhere until the end of the year, and so at least in that sense the two legacy programs are continuing to some degree until the end of the year.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
How can everyone be moved the new program and yet be able to (a) earn Starwood old-Platinum (not Marriott) elite status by doing 25 stays before Dec 31 (not Aug 18), and (b) qualify for legacy Marriott Lifetime Rules (using lifetime points) until Dec 31 (not Aug 18), if the legacy programs really completely disappear on Aug 18? Something does not add up. Some vestige of the legacy programs in some form must continue for these two things (promised by Marriott and/or by StarwoodLurker) to be possible until Dec 31.

Now, they could move legacy trackers from both legacy programs into one new platform, so this does not prove that the platforms must stay separate, but at the very least counters of annual/lifetime status from the different programs have to maintained separately somewhere until the end of the year, and so at least in that sense the two legacy programs are continuing to some degree until the end of the year.
That’s why Marriott has advised that meeting the legacy qualification requirements will be communicated to us in January 2019. They will probably be doing a one-time sweep for that data as it will stop being relevant from 2019 onwards.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Quite easily, when all the data is combined in the new program. Marriott knows which property is Legacy SPG or Legacy Marriott so when a stay posts it will know. It can either have seperate counters in the background or can run a script until a certain date to analyze your account to determine if a certain threshhold has been met. When January 1st rolls around, the counter is reset and the script never runs again. Many possibilities when all the data is combined.

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.