Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

(In the) days left before spg points disappear (should I transfer to airlines now)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(In the) days left before spg points disappear (should I transfer to airlines now)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

i usually transfer to airlines.. is it best to wait or transfer now??
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I have not seen anything official that confirms your statement (especially the date). Since they are requiring manual conversion, they can't just eliminate the points all at once.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, Starriott could halt all SPG and MR redemptions and require that awards of all categories be booked through the new combined Starriott program, which would normally require that accounts be merged first in order for points to be available.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by martino
It doesn't matter in terms of value. Airline transfer ratio will be the same. Though if you need the miles soon, I would do it now. I could see some major IT snafus in the month of August as they combine the programs.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

it seems that the bonus 5/20 will be reduced to 5/30 is that correct?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I have not seen anything official that confirms your statement (especially the date). Since they are requiring manual conversion, they can't just eliminate the points all at once.
wont they become Marriott points automatically??
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
it seems that the bonus 5/20 will be reduced to 5/30 is that correct?
No that's not correct. The transfer ratio will be the same.

20k SPG=> 60k MR => 25k airline miles
TravelinSperry and drron like this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Normally tend to agree however there a few reports that points recently earned via SPG amex are not appearing on SPG accounts after being transferred. So no, they can't just eliminate points however they do have the means to stop the points appearing on your account should they choose.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
No one knows what will happen and when. Second guessing has inherent risk. If what is available now acceptable, then go for it. Falls into the "bird in hand vs two in the bush" paradigm.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The value of Starpoints --> airlines isn't the ACTUAL airline miles in hand today.

It's the flexibility to say "I need to top up my account with XYZ airline for a good redemption". So with no changes to the conversion ratio happening, just relax and hang on to your points.

P.S. If you typically convert Starpoints to UA or DL miles, then you're already a lost cause...
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The value of Starpoints --> airlines isn't the ACTUAL airline miles in hand today.

It's the flexibility to say "I need to top up my account with XYZ airline for a good redemption". So with no changes to the conversion ratio happening, just relax and hang on to your points.
That may be the value to you, but many value them based on the 25% airline transfer bonus. There is no better way to earn large quantities of many airline currencies, including particularly LH and KE.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Kacee
That may be the value to you, but many value them based on the 25% airline transfer bonus. There is no better way to earn large quantities of many airline currencies, including particularly LH and KE.
Aren't they more valuable as starpoints when 20k starpoints could be 25k LH or KE (or other airline as needed) miles though?
craigthemif likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
None of these are mutually exclusive - I value them for each of the reasons mentioned in the 3 posts above.

1) flexibility of WHEN to transfer for a redemption
2) choice of WHICH airline to transfer to
3) 25% bonus for transfers of 20K

Convertible points are, all other things being equal, always worth more than non-convertible ones. That is why even if the 20K transfer bonus limit were removed, I'd rate 20K SPG points as more valuable than 20K miles in any given airline - the same way I treat MR points as more valuable also.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Aren't they more valuable as starpoints when 20k starpoints could be 25k LH or KE (or other airline as needed) miles though?
Yes, if the flexibility matters. But that's not the case if you have a specific redemption in mind. If I was planning to redeem on a particular carrier in August or September, I would convert now. The IT could be messy for a while.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, UAL, Hyatt, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
As noted above redemption value isn't changing. Under the new system 60k MR points will convert to 25k airline miles (aka the bonus points still exist). Since 20k starpoints in your account today will be 60K MR points in August you aren't losing anything and no rush to convert now (unless, as also noted above, you have a reward you know you will want to book soon-ish as I agree that the IT will be all kinds of FUBAR for a while).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.