change in number of guests - Westin Bangkok

Old Jul 24, 18, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

change in number of guests - Westin Bangkok

I was due to stay at the Westin Bangkok later this year. Previously I was going by myself, so I booked a room for one person.

However, some relatives want to come along and I am trying to figure out if it matters or not if I let one of them share the room with me to save costs, given i originally booked for 1 guest. If so, do I tell the hotel now, or do I tell them at check in?

Thanks
Old Jul 24, 18, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
do I tell the hotel now, or do I tell them at check in?
If you can't update it online, call SPG or the hotel to update it. Don't leave it to check-in or it's possible you might get stuck paying rack rate. Some hotels do charge more for two guests.
Old Jul 25, 18, 2:30 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador Elite
In my experience all the SPG properties in Bangkok have a charge for a second guest. The charge varies by property, but should be somewhere around 1000-1200 THB.
Old Jul 25, 18, 4:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by supergabe View Post
In my experience all the SPG properties in Bangkok have a charge for a second guest. The charge varies by property, but should be somewhere around 1000-1200 THB.
This is not true. It all depends on the rate booked. Some rates allow for 2 guests at same price - other rates bump up the rate 500THB or more for a 2nd guest.
Old Jul 25, 18, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by supergabe View Post
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
This is not true. It all depends on the rate booked. Some rates allow for 2 guests at same price - other rates bump up the rate 500THB or more for a 2nd guest.

I've never seen a rate change for a 2nd guest in BKK. The third is a different story for which I can't respond, but the second has never changed the rate.... ever.
Old Jul 25, 18, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton ♢, IHG Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dsquared37 View Post
I've never seen a rate change for a 2nd guest in BKK. The third is a different story for which I can't respond, but the second has never changed the rate.... ever.
Well, I have often. Want to see it in action? Go take a look at the Sheraton Grande - one of the more popular Starwood hotels in Bangkok here on FT. Create a booking for Aug 3-6. You will see a rate of 6,958 Baht. Now add a 2nd person. You will see a NEW higher rate of 7,882 Baht. So there you go - now you've seen it.

Oh and I've seen this at the Westin and Le Meridien too. It happens quite frequently, especially on AAA rates.
Old Jul 25, 18, 5:14 am

About the only time I have seen a change in rate for a 2nd guest is when the rate includes breakfast, but other than that I have not seen a difference in my 40+ stays at a BKK SPG property over the last 3 years.
Old Jul 25, 18, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by mrfreezetas View Post
About the only time I have seen a change in rate for a 2nd guest is when the rate includes breakfast, but other than that I have not seen a difference in my 40+ stays at a BKK SPG property over the last 3 years.
And yet, it does exist and happens (as I showed in the example above your post). So to the OP - I'd suggest contacting the hotel in advance to add your add'l guests so you can be sure of the rate on arrival. It may be there is no issue and no rate increase... a simply call/email will find out.
Old Jul 25, 18, 6:27 am

I just looked at SGS and when selecting 2 guests no availability appears for 3-6 August though selecting a single guest the rate 6,958THB showed up, so I checked 4-6 August as single or 2 guests and rate of 5,172THB showed up for both combinations.
I also noticed Aloft rate went down when selecting 2 guests instead of 1.

So it does happen
Old Jul 25, 18, 8:14 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
I've never seen a hotel charge for second person (unless rate includes breakfast or club access) anywhere, for third person surcharges do happen and are fairly common.
Old Jul 25, 18, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
I was due to stay at the Westin Bangkok later this year. Previously I was going by myself, so I booked a room for one person.

However, some relatives want to come along and I am trying to figure out if it matters or not if I let one of them share the room with me to save costs, given i originally booked for 1 guest. If so, do I tell the hotel now, or do I tell them at check in?

Thanks
Try a bogus booking for two and see if the rate changes. Regardless, if you want to do this, do contact the hotel (or SPG) to change the reservation. Different countries have different occupancy laws that limit the number of people in a room. Although pretty rare, you might end up getting assigned to a room that only allows one occupant and you'd be stuck if you wait until check-in.

I make a habit of booking for two (if no rate difference) just so I have the ability to invite someone along (also helps if wishing to guest someone in the lounge) and not have to scramble at the last minute.
Old Jul 25, 18, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium | AY Silver
Originally Posted by porkie View Post
I've never seen a hotel charge for second person (unless rate includes breakfast or club access) anywhere, for third person surcharges do happen and are fairly common.
Pretty much everywhere I go in Asia and Europe there's a higher rate for a room for two than one.
Old Jul 25, 18, 12:47 pm

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by joakgarp View Post
Pretty much everywhere I go in Asia and Europe there's a higher rate for a room for two than one.
99% of my travel is Europe or Asia and I've never experienced higher rates for 2 on a standard rate booking.

The only place that comes to mind for double occupancy surcharges is Germany, and even there it is much less common than it used to be (and then in smaller hotels rather than the chains).

So if it's pretty much everywhere you go in Asia and Europe you should be able to give us a bunch of SPG, Marriott, Hilton hotels, etc., which clearly exhibit double occupancy surcharges, even for standard rates.
Old Jul 25, 18, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry View Post
Well, I have often. Want to see it in action? Go take a look at the Sheraton Grande - one of the more popular Starwood hotels in Bangkok here on FT. Create a booking for Aug 3-6. You will see a rate of 6,958 Baht. Now add a 2nd person. You will see a NEW higher rate of 7,882 Baht. So there you go - now you've seen it.

Oh and I've seen this at the Westin and Le Meridien too. It happens quite frequently, especially on AAA rates.
Having done as instructed, the SGS is sold out for those dates. Now changing the options and booking only the 4th gives the exact same price for 1 or 2 guests, 5117 baht. Were you looking at a package rate that included breakfast or some other perks?

I stand by my statement that I have never seen this in action anywhere in Thailand for SPG hotels. And I've still never seen it.
Old Jul 25, 18, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by yurtripper View Post
99% of my travel is Europe or Asia and I've never experienced higher rates for 2 on a standard rate booking.
You must have never visited Japan.

But regardless of whether there's an additional charge or not, if you book a single and bring in two people, the hotel is fully within its rights to cancel your reservation or charge you full rack rate.
TravelinSperry likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: