Community
Wiki Posts
Search

change in number of guests - Westin Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mrfreezetas
I just looked at SGS and when selecting 2 guests no availability appears for 3-6 August though selecting a single guest the rate 6,958THB showed up, so I checked 4-6 August as single or 2 guests and rate of 5,172THB showed up for both combinations.
I also noticed Aloft rate went down when selecting 2 guests instead of 1.

So it does happen
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Having done as instructed, the SGS is sold out for those dates. Now changing the options and booking only the 4th gives the exact same price for 1 or 2 guests, 5117 baht. Were you looking at a package rate that included breakfast or some other perks?

I stand by my statement that I have never seen this in action anywhere in Thailand for SPG hotels. And I've still never seen it.
So try a bogus booking for the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit on July 27-29. Same issue occurs, price for 2 is higher than 1. Since it may sell out by the time you check, I've attached screenshots. Now you can't say you've never seen it.

And as others are stating in this thread... you can see it in Japan and Germany too. In fact, I have numerous reservations at properties where this occurs. Make a bogus booking in Paphos, Cyprus (there is only one Starwood). Try Sep 8-10 for example and watch the rates skyrocket for 2 (over 100 Euro extra per night for that extra person!). It happens all over the world. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It happens.

2 adults is clearly more at this property, see below
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
So try a bogus booking for the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit on July 27-29. Same issue occurs, price for 2 is higher than 1. Since it may sell out by the time you check, I've attached screenshots. Now you can't say you've never seen it.

This is for luxury room which is inclusive breakfast and evening cocktails, any standard room that doesn't come with extras like this will cost exactly the same regardless of number of persons. I have also checked SPG hotels in Tokyo, price is the same for 1 and 2 persons for any given range of dates.
dsquared37 and yurtripper like this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Were you looking at a package rate that included breakfast or some other perks?
Originally Posted by porkie
This is for luxury room which is inclusive breakfast and evening cocktails, any standard room that doesn't come with extras like this will cost exactly the same regardless of number of persons. I have also checked SPG hotels in Tokyo, price is the same for 1 and 2 persons for any given range of dates.
And apparently the answer to my query is 'yes'.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope, I still haven't seen it. You're looking at a package rate not a standard room rate. Look at any date that has standard rooms available and you'll see how specious your argument is.

And as others are stating in this thread... you can see it in Japan and Germany too. In fact, I have numerous reservations at properties where this occurs. Make a bogus booking in Paphos, Cyprus (there is only one Starwood). Try Sep 8-10 for example and watch the rates skyrocket for 2 (over 100 Euro extra per night for that extra person!). It happens all over the world. Just because you haven't seen it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It happens.
Last I looked Japan, Germany and Cyprus aren't in Thailand so while it may by true in those countries it isn't germane in a conversation about Thailand hotels.

Nope. You cherry picked a package rate, not a standard room. You are presenting information that doesn't support your hypothesis.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Having done as instructed, the SGS is sold out for those dates. Now changing the options and booking only the 4th gives the exact same price for 1 or 2 guests, 5117 baht. Were you looking at a package rate that included breakfast or some other perks?
Originally Posted by porkie
Exactly. As dsquared37 first mentioned and porkie elaborated, standard rooms are sold out for those dates; and you were looking at a package price. The package includes: butler service, full buffet breakfast, high speed internet, cocktails and hors d'oeuvres 1800-2000 in all locations but the Living Room, where it is 1600-2000.

I just checked a standard room for a random set of dates in October (Oct. 12-16). Prices for one and two people are the same.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jul 26, 2018 at 6:25 pm
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Just to clarify from my experience, I called the hotel, and they said that it is THB500 more per night per person.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You must have never visited Japan.

But regardless of whether there's an additional charge or not, if you book a single and bring in two people, the hotel is fully within its rights to cancel your reservation or charge you full rack rate.
I spent 6 weeks there in 2005, about half of that was in Hokkaido.
Although as it was part of an 18-month RTW I didn't stay in any hotel worthy of the name, mostly hostel dorms (no need to worry about double occupancy surcharge in a 12-bed dorm!).
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Nope, I still haven't seen it. You're looking at a package rate not a standard room rate. Look at any date that has standard rooms available and you'll see how specious your argument is.

Nope. You cherry picked a package rate, not a standard room. You are presenting information that doesn't support your hypothesis.
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Just to clarify from my experience, I called the hotel, and they said that it is THB500 more per night per person.
I've never seen a rate change for a 2nd guest in BKK. The third is a different story for which I can't respond, but the second has never changed the rate.... ever.
Dsquared - your quote above said you've "never seen a rate change for a 2nd guest in BKK." Nothing about certain rates or certain rooms. Just "never". So here I've shown you that it does exist. Now, I never claimed it exists on all room types and/or rates. In fact, I specifically said it depends on the rate/room type booked. I'm also guessing you don't believe the OP who called the Westin and was told it would be 500 Baht extra. I'm sure you will deny it, since this fact doesn't support your hypothesis

Anyway, the facts are the OP is dealing with a 500 Baht increase. And I've had to deal with it as well - yes, on rates when breakfast was included. Does it not count due to this fact? Sometimes it costs more for 2... other times, it does not. Glad to hear you've never had to deal with it. If you can book my BKK rooms going forward and save me some coin, I'd appreciate it.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dsquared - your quote above said you've "never seen a rate change for a 2nd guest in BKK." Nothing about certain rates or certain rooms. Just "never". So here I've shown you that it does exist. Now, I never claimed it exists on all room types and/or rates. In fact, I specifically said it depends on the rate/room type booked. I'm also guessing you don't believe the OP who called the Westin and was told it would be 500 Baht extra. I'm sure you will deny it, since this fact doesn't support your hypothesis
In my searches I have never seen it. Factual. You claimed it happens often. Not factual.

/shrug
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were you looking at a package rate that included breakfast or some other perks?

I stand by my statement that I have never seen this in action anywhere in Thailand for SPG hotels. And I've still never seen it.
Well, if you're going to parse out the specific language at that level of detail.... We're talking about room rates. And dsquared37 is correct. There's no additional charge for another person in the room. You're not talking about the room; you're talking about breakfast, happy hour cocktails, etc., all add-ons to the room. For those things, yes, there is an additional charge for an additional person. For the room, there is not.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
But we were told that never happens......
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Well, if you're going to parse out the specific language at that level of detail.... We're talking about room rates
If you're going to be pedantic, be accurate. What you actually said was
Prices for one and two people are the same
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
But we were told that never happens......
And calls to a hotel are always met with accurate information.

/shrug
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
If you're going to be pedantic, be accurate. What you actually said was
Prices for one and two people are the same
Yes, that's what I said. And it's generally accepted as a permissible usage. The construction is similar to using the plural instead of "he or she" to avoid awkward construction, as in, "When I see a friend, I give them a hug" instead of "When I see a friend, I give him or her a hug." According to the OED, while some may consider this gramatically incorrect, it is actually a practice which began in the 16th century and is generally accepted.

And now back to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Well, if you're going to parse out the specific language at that level of detail.... We're talking about room rates. And dsquared37 is correct. There's no additional charge for another person in the room. You're not talking about the room; you're talking about breakfast, happy hour cocktails, etc., all add-ons to the room. For those things, yes, there is an additional charge for an additional person. For the room, there is not.
I'm not talking about any of those extras. Unfortunately the hotel doesn't separate such. They force the increase on us, even if the residents do not avail of breakfast, happy hour, etc. They simply raise the rate for the 2nd person. It is you who assume it is for extras. The OP who called did not specify whether or why the increase was quoted. Simply that it is an extra 500 THB to add another guest. You assume (and I don't disagree) that it is for these extras. Now, I too would assume that would be their rationale - but it is irrelevant as there is no way for the OP (or anyone else) to avoid this fee, even without said usage. It's sort of like a resort fee, forced upon us. Now the weird thing is that sometimes it is forced upon us - and other times not. It all depends on the room and rate you book. The OP wasn't clear what room/rate he booked. Perhaps he booked a base rate without butler, breakfast, etc.?

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Jul 27, 2018 at 2:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.