Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

50 nights by July 31st? (Trying to understand the merger)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, QF, SK

Basic question about the merged programs coming at the end of the month: Is there any benefit to getting to 50 nights by the end of the month before the 2 programs are merged? I'm coming up on the date where I'll have to decide whether to take reservations and let the room sit empty for a few days to get to 50 in July or just hit it naturally at some point in August.

Usually when I hit 50, I grab the 10 suite nights. Is that benefit going away August 1st? If I'm sub-50 on August 1st, does my platinum status get downgraded to gold?

Pseudo-related: Were I to book 2 rooms in the same hotel for the same evening, would that count as 2 stay nights? If some of the above answers indicate I have to hit my 50 this month, it'd probably be of more benefit to me to double up my rooms rather than take a rez and go mess up the bed on my way home from work for the few empty days I'd have to hit.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Quintious
Basic question about the merged programs coming at the end of the month: Is there any benefit to getting to 50 nights by the end of the month before the 2 programs are merged? I'm coming up on the date where I'll have to decide whether to take reservations and let the room sit empty for a few days to get to 50 in July or just hit it naturally at some point in August.

Usually when I hit 50, I grab the 10 suite nights. Is that benefit going away August 1st? If I'm sub-50 on August 1st, does my platinum status get downgraded to gold?

Pseudo-related: Were I to book 2 rooms in the same hotel for the same evening, would that count as 2 stay nights? If some of the above answers indicate I have to hit my 50 this month, it'd probably be of more benefit to me to double up my rooms rather than take a rez and go mess up the bed on my way home from work for the few empty days I'd have to hit.
This is covered elsewhere and should be moved, but...
The current theory is if you hit 50 SPG nights BEFORE the programs merge (maybe even before you merge your accounts), then you should get 10 SNAs and IF you cross 75 combined nights after they merge, then you should get another 5 nights. Nothing has been announced by MR or SPG that this will happen, nor that it won't happen. If you don't hit 50 before, then you will only get 5 SNAs at 50 combined nights and then another 5 at 75 combined nights.

What is your legacy SPG status now? If you earned Plat with stays/nights last year (or even this year if you have 25 stays), then you're Plat and will be into 2019. Once you merge your accounts you will be PP. More info is needed to fully answer this.

As for multiple room credit, yes, you can get stay/night credit for up to three SPG rooms BEFORE the merge (not to be confused with merging your accounts).

If it was me, I'd do the 50 nights NOW. If you have less than 25 MR nights, then you should be in line for another 5 SNAs at 75, otherwise nothing.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, QF, SK
Thanks for the reply. I'm a current 50 night plat. I'm sitting at 41 nights right now, but will only have 44 "naturally" by the end of the month. Doubling up the rooms seems appealing as a result.

I saw things that indicated what you were saying in a (very long) stickied thread, but I was seeing enough conflicting information (from shortly after the thread's creation) that I wanted to be sure the fleshed out knowledge was the same now as it was then.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I'm in the same situation. There's still a small chance that I could naturally get to 50 nights before the end of the month. However, I wasn't aware that the SNA's were in jeopardy as I was thinking that reaching 50 nights in August would still afford me the 10 SNA as an option.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RogerD408
This is covered elsewhere and should be moved, but...
The current theory is if you hit 50 SPG nights BEFORE the programs merge (maybe even before you merge your accounts), then you should get 10 SNAs .
A choice of 10 SNAs is offered up to July 27, after that date only 5 SNAs will be offered even if the programs merge later than July 27.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Quintious
Thanks for the reply. I'm a current 50 night plat. I'm sitting at 41 nights right now, but will only have 44 "naturally" by the end of the month. Doubling up the rooms seems appealing as a result.

I saw things that indicated what you were saying in a (very long) stickied thread, but I was seeing enough conflicting information (from shortly after the thread's creation) that I wanted to be sure the fleshed out knowledge was the same now as it was then.
Unfortunately we don't have a definitive answer from the program so there is a lot of speculation going on. There will be a lot of learning going on up to and way past the merger of the programs. There is a slight, very slight chance that if you picked 10 SNAs before that you will get nothing at 75, but I think it's worth it, if not too costly, to push for the 50 nights before the merger.
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I'm in the same situation. There's still a small chance that I could naturally get to 50 nights before the end of the month. However, I wasn't aware that the SNA's were in jeopardy as I was thinking that reaching 50 nights in August would still afford me the 10 SNA as an option.
Not according to the below, which I have seen, but like everything, is subject to change. And those that do make 50 in August MIGHT be able to talk them into issuing the extra 5 nights, but don't hold your breath.
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
A choice of 10 SNAs is offered up to July 27, after that date only 5 SNAs will be offered even if the programs merge later than July 27.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia

If my check out is on July 26 and it will bring me over 50 nights, will I be able to meet the July 27 deadline for choosing the 10 SNAs? Thanks
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by l380
If my check out is on July 26 and it will bring me over 50 nights, will I be able to meet the July 27 deadline for choosing the 10 SNAs? Thanks
Depends. The fiftieth night has to be in your SPG account by noon on 27th July. If you want SNAs, that is the default option. But if you want the free night you will need to hope that the 50-night email arrives quickly and you can choose something else before the deadline.

Platinum 50 Nights Benefits listed will be enjoyed until SPG and Marriott Rewards become one programme in August 2018. In the event that an eligible member fails to select a Platinum 50 Eligible Nights Benefit by 11:59 a.m. ET July 27, 2018, such member will receive 10 Suite Night Awards as their 2018 Platinum 50 Eligible Nights Benefit. If a member reaches 50 eligible nights between 12:00 p.m. ET July 27, 2018, and 11:59 p.m. ET December 31, 2018, member will have the option to select 5 Suite Night Awards as one of the available Platinum 50 Annual Choice Benefits for 2018.
This is very clear from SPG in an e-mail. 50 nights before noon or you end up with Marriott's gift...
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Depends. The fiftieth night has to be in your SPG account by noon on 27th July. If you want SNAs, that is the default option. But if you want the free night you will need to hope that the 50-night email arrives quickly and you can choose something else before the deadline.

This is very clear from SPG in an e-mail. 50 nights before noon or you end up with Marriott's gift...
Will the program become one on July 27 ?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Will the program become one on July 27 ?

Nothing official. My take is they are cutting off the SPG SNA program as of 7/27 and MPG will pick up from there whenever they decide to implement. Lot's of confusion about exactly how SNAs will work in the new program. Some are expecting MR members that have already passed 50 nights will get 5 SNAs added to their account and those with over 75 combined nights will get another 5 SNAs. The Lurkers are saying you must cross 50 & 75 to get the SNAs and having the nights when the program picks up does not count. Also, will SPG members that have already picked 10 SNAs at 50 nights get another 5 when they cross 75 nights? And nothing about how merging our accounts might change how things are handled.

If possible, being an SPG member, I'd cross 50 SGP nights before the 27th to get the 10 SNAs and then hope for another 5 at 75 nights after my account is merged. But of course that depends on how valuable I thought SNAs are to begin with.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:46 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
I just had my 50th night posted and will go for the free night award. I still have trouble to redeem my 7 snas left for this year....
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Question that I have not seen fully clarified:

it it has been made clear that if someone reaches 50 SPG nights by Dec 31, 2018... or 25 SPG stays by Dec 31, 2018, that the Platinum qualification would be met via SPGs old rules.

My question is, what do you qualify for in 2019?Specifically, let’s say for 2018 someone has 50 nights or 25 stays at SPG properties, but that total combined 2018 SPG+Marriott nights on Dec 31, 2018 is less than 75 nights.

On March 1, 2019, what status will that person have? Will it be the new Platinum or Plat Prem?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kavok
Question that I have not seen fully clarified:

it it has been made clear that if someone reaches 50 SPG nights by Dec 31, 2018... or 25 SPG stays by Dec 31, 2018, that the Platinum qualification would be met via SPGs old rules.

My question is, what do you qualify for in 2019?Specifically, let’s say for 2018 someone has 50 nights or 25 stays at SPG properties, but that total combined 2018 SPG+Marriott nights on Dec 31, 2018 is less than 75 nights.

On March 1, 2019, what status will that person have? Will it be the new Platinum or Plat Prem?
It would surely be the new Plat in the new combined program. If total combined nights by the end of the year is between 50 and 75, I don't see any argument for anything other than plain new Plat.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would surely be the new Plat in the new combined program. If total combined nights by the end of the year is between 50 and 75, I don't see any argument for anything other than plain new Plat.
That is what I would think, and I have no arguments if that is the case (I more just want to know). The reason I ask though, is let's say a member has met a credit card requirement, or status match, or some other where they "earned" SPG platinum in 2018 without staying 75+ nights. That person would obviously be SPG platinum for the remainder of the year. Correct me if I am wrong, but it has been implied that members who earn SPG platinum in 2018 will be mapped to the new Platinum Premier in 2018 (again, correct me if I am wrong). Therefore by virtue of staying 50-74 SPG nights, or having 25+ SPG stays, you could be SPG platinum already. So would those people who have already achieved SPG platinum in 2018 be mapped to Plat Prem, or will they just stay at the new Plat status in 2019 (unless of course they have 75+ combined nights)?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kavok
That is what I would think, and I have no arguments if that is the case (I more just want to know). The reason I ask though, is let's say a member has met a credit card requirement, or status match, or some other where they "earned" SPG platinum in 2018 without staying 75+ nights. That person would obviously be SPG platinum for the remainder of the year. Correct me if I am wrong, but it has been implied that members who earn SPG platinum in 2018 will be mapped to the new Platinum Premier in 2018 (again, correct me if I am wrong). Therefore by virtue of staying 50-74 SPG nights, or having 25+ SPG stays, you could be SPG platinum already. So would those people who have already achieved SPG platinum in 2018 be mapped to Plat Prem, or will they just stay at the new Plat status in 2019 (unless of course they have 75+ combined nights)?
The only SPG-ers mapping to Plat Prem in August are SPG75s.

Otherwise you need a combined 75 nights so far in 2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.