EWR to Sheraton Times Square

Old Jul 16, 18, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AP
EWR to Sheraton Times Square

Good Afternoon;

Any advice on moving a family of 4 between EWR and Sheraton Times Square ???

Looking for some convenience while not breaking the bank.

Thank You in Advance.
Old Jul 16, 18, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Uber. Possibly Uber XL if there are more than 2 larger people or you have significant luggage.
Old Jul 16, 18, 12:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Originally Posted by Overwing View Post
Good Afternoon;

Thank You in Advance.
I live in NYC. For a group of 4, UberXL may be your best bet for about $60-$70 (+ $15 toll). Depending on the time of day, the quickest and most convenient for me would be NJ Transit from EWR to Penn Station then either Uber, taxi or even subway from there to Time Square as the traffic into the tunnels can be horrendous at certain times of the day. NJ Transit though would be subject to: how old your kids are (ie. can they walk or are they in strollers) and how many bags you have. The cost would be $13 per person on NJ Transit to NY Penn Station + the taxi/Uber fare from NY Penn Station to your hotel. In other words, just a little cheaper than UberXL from the airport. The biggest plus, for me, of the train vs a car is traffic which can be unpredictable.
Old Jul 16, 18, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you've never done it before, download Juno just prior to your trip. Their standard signup bonus is 30% off NYC rides for the first two weeks. You can have someone refer you so they can get a discount too...if there are NYC people here, I'll let one of them do it. (Wouldn't do me any good for several months.)

Juno is an NYC-focused ridesharing platform that requires drivers to first have a high rating and experience on Lyft or Uber. Thus, the cars and drivers all tend to be quite good. I assume the hook for them is that Juno takes less commission. Tipping is in the app, similar to Lyft/Uber.

I usually use Lyft all over NYC when I'm there for work, but saved my Juno signup for a leisure trip. Saved quite a bit of money on the airport rides and uptown/downtown rides. I did not experience unusually long wait times or odd surge activity - the base rate (from which the 30% is calculated) was similar to Lyft/Uber.

Assuming family of 4 means two kids and not a huge ton of luggage. If so, a basic Juno would work with one adult riding shotgun and the kids + one adult in back.
Old Jul 17, 18, 1:46 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Carmel Car service. Standard sedan will be $46 plus tax and tolls (mainly the tunnel).

https://www.carmellimo.com/General/Rates.shtml
Old Jul 17, 18, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Eurobonus Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Gold
Been through EWR dozens of times and a few through JFK and LGA too. The train is nice to avoid traffic but a bit of a walk/airtrain from the terminals. If you're comfortable with trains and public transit in genearl, that would be my recommendation to at least get to the city (same as Canada101 said).

Otherwise, it's awfully nice to have the UberXL pull up and you just relax until drop off at your hotel.

Those are my options depending on where I'm arriving from, time of day, and who is with me.

There is also a bus that runs to the heart of NYC but that one takes a little more courage. The train has interesting people. The bus has really interesting people.
Old Jul 17, 18, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Overwing View Post
Good Afternoon;

Thank You in Advance.
What day of the week? Avis and Budget offer $9.99 one-way special rates from the three NYC-area airports (including EWR) to Manhattan on Thursdays and Fridays.
Old Jul 18, 18, 4:00 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Yes, that is the cheapest way to do it - even on other days rental cars can be found for $20-30.

Just remember you will be driving in Manhattan, which other than New Jersey is about the most unfriendly place in world to drive. If you've never driven there before probably on a family vacation is not the best time to do it but if you're comfortable with driving ( say driven in places like London, milan, San Fran ) then it is the cheapest way to do it. Also, is a lot of stuff in NYC more than a few blocks away from 48th & Bway... maybe take tpike over GW bridge and take detour up through the interstate palisades- beautiful views of the city over river - OR take the verazanows go see coney island then drive in through Brooklyn - street parking in Brooklyn is easy tons of great restaurants there - etc etc etc. they usually give upto 23 hours on that rate. But, yeah if not comfortable with driving probably best pay extra for uber or whatnot
Old Jul 18, 18, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Whatever you do, donít take a New Jersey taxi. As mentioned above, a rideshare service or Carmel are probably your best bet. FWIW, in my experience it pays to compare the Uber and Lyft quotes for this trip. I find Lyft is sometimes materially less expensive (although they are often pretty in line with one another).
Old Jul 18, 18, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by somedudefromFLa View Post
Yes, that is the cheapest way to do it - even on other days rental cars can be found for $20-30.

Just remember you will be driving in Manhattan, which other than New Jersey is about the most unfriendly place in world to drive. If you've never driven there before probably on a family vacation is not the best time to do it but if you're comfortable with driving ( say driven in places like London, milan, San Fran ) then it is the cheapest way to do it. Also, is a lot of stuff in NYC more than a few blocks away from 48th & Bway... maybe take tpike over GW bridge and take detour up through the interstate palisades- beautiful views of the city over river - OR take the verazanows go see coney island then drive in through Brooklyn - street parking in Brooklyn is easy tons of great restaurants there - etc etc etc. they usually give upto 23 hours on that rate. But, yeah if not comfortable with driving probably best pay extra for uber or whatnot
The Avis/Budget $9.99 special is only for a 12-hour rental, with 150 free miles and the first tank of gas included.

I was thinking that the OP could drive directly to his hotel, and drop his family and luggage off; and then return the car to the nearby Budget office on West 49th Street. But I suppose that if the family wanted to do some sightseeing first, they could. I would just be very cautious about where I parked a car full of luggage.
Old Jul 18, 18, 8:49 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
^
yes good point, especially if any luggage is visible in car not hidden locked in trunk definitely not wise to park anywhere neighborhoods on street

Search this Thread
Search Engine: